Tommy's War Gloucestershire Rgt Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

s-l1600.jpg

This will be my next one, courtesy of my good friend Richard Pearce - a Tommy's War bust of a private 2 Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment at Salonika, 1915. This one intimidates me a bit, not only because of the exceptional box art, but because of the wonderful work done on these figures by Andy Belsey and Mike Butler.

This is what emerged from the box:

100_3288.JPG

Very crisply moulded and beautifully modelled as we've come to expect. I'm not sure about the box art colours. I'm sure that the webbing would not have been blancoed on active service, and it seems that the slouch hat is too dark and would have been more or less the same colour as the uniform - help please.

Anyway, off we go......

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Peter

It is a nice little bust, shame TW stopped the range of busts.

I am sure you will more than match the box art.

Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Peter

Yes it is a shame that they stopped making the busts - lack of sales?

I've cleaned him up, ready for painting:

100_3290.JPG

Another thing I don't quite understand is that although he has a regimental badge securing the hat brim, he also has another at the back securing the puggaree. I would have thought that he would have worn the second at the front, though as a non-regulation item, perhaps it's discretely hidden?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Beautiful bust. What scale is it? Compared to some of the figures you have tackled this looks deceptively straightforward which I'm sure it is not. I have no doubt that your paint job will equal or surpass the box art.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Fingers crossed Tim. I'm not sure what scale it is - perhaps a small 1/10?

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
Nice to see one of my stash put to good usage.I did have a notion to make him an Anzac maybe.I think the webbing would be blancoed and slouch hat would be khaki ish.I spoke to Darren about the busts and he said his 54mm figures were the most popular.I was informed all the bust masters were taken up by a company for changes and to be released next year.Im not allowed to say who but its not Mookies.
Pulled up a pew and hoping Captain John will tinkle the ivories on your piano and i will do my best Dame Hilda Bracket impression.
Figure painting and Gala nights at Peters place!!!.
Carry on Carruthers.
Richard

Reactions: JR

Jim F

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter,
The badge on the back is a Regimental honour that goes back to the 28th North Gloucester Regiment when it fought in 2 ranks back to back at the Battle of Aleandria in 1801.
regards Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - Thanks again for another great bust. Thanks also for the uniform info - I think blacoed webbing would look better anyway. Exciting that these busts are going to be re-released - I'll be first in the queue. Funnily enough, and for some strange reason, I was thinking of Hinge and Bracket the other day - I look forward to the Pearce and Race impersonation.

Jim - Many thanks for that - the sculptor has got it right then.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
We watched Hinge and Bracket dvd last night.I found them funny without being too coarse.Evadne was umpiring a bowls match and hildas bowl touched another.Evadne said we have a Toucher as Hilda turned around and so No its the vicar dear.!!!.
Wheres Captain Race.
Watching your progress.
Richard.

D

Deleted member 6559

That's the kind of thing Richard. I'm sure Armstrong and Miller's Brabbins and Fyffe were based on them (though a male version) - very funny.

D

Deleted member 6559

Realised that I've posted this in the wrong category. Sorry Perhaps a mod could move it?

D

Deleted member 6559

That's the face more or less done:

100_3293.JPG100_3295.JPG

This was lovely to paint, as anticipated. Interestingly, the flesh had a slight grain, but this time it aided the painting somewhat, allowing for some stippling where the colours on the cheeks needed to be blended.

I'll probably fiddle with it a little bit more, but the light's going now.

D

Deleted member 6559

One of my favourite artists, Stanley Spencer went to Macedonia as a war artist. ''Travoys Arriving with Wounded'' is the best known painting that resulted and is at the IWM.

This one ''Camp at Salonika'' is one of the murals in the Sandham Memorial Chapel:

Sandham Spencer 2.jpg

(Sandham Memorial Chapel).

Sets the scene for our chap.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Coming on well Peter. Nice link to Sandham as well. It’s somewhere I’ve always wanted to visit. I should really make the effort as it’s only about an hour away.
Tim

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

A well painted and a very expressive sculpt.

The blending is definitely evolving and subtle.

Great work Peter

Off to find your other work

Regards

Steve H

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well personally I can think of no one better to paint this Peter.

I've brought all Christine's music from the shows, so hope Richards portrail of Dame Hilda Bracket will be better than my playing. !
John .

First Name
Andrew
Looking great Peter!
I've not had any input on Mike's versions of these, apart from sharing the photos. There's no need for competing or comparing. Just do it because you enjoy it and we'll enjoy your wonderful work too.
Andy