toning down colours on a 1/35 Tamiya figure

P

Paulalison

I have painted some german Tamiya figures in the oakleaf spring pattern,the base coat was xf 52,flat earth,should I use xf 52 as a wash to tone down the colours,there is so much conflicting advice

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’d advise trying it out on a different figure. Paint part of an old one in the camouflage pattern and add the wash, see what it does.

TBH, probably the better way to tone down the colours is to do that while painting: instead of using your paint straight from the tin, mix a little of another colour into it on a palette so you can mute them a but before painting. Of course, this advice is really only useful for your next figure :smiling3:

P

Paulalison

Thankyou Jakko for taking the time to reply, i will try what you have adviced, thankyou again

D

Deleted member 6559

I find it better to paint camo in muted colours in the first place. I don't use washes myself, but that sounds like the best option - it will also pick up the shadows and define the detail. Don;t forget to post pictures!

P

Paulalison

And thankyou for your reply Peter,so should the colour of the wash be as i have said, the same as the base coat?

D

Deleted member 6559

I would go for a neutral colour Paul - black/brown is good for that sort of thing.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Darker than the base colour is a better idea than using the base colour itself. By using a darker wash, you’ll shade the figure at the same time as (hopefully) toning down the too vibrant colours. Again, though, better to practice on a test figure first.

P

Paulalison

Darker than the base colour is a better idea than using the base colour itself. By using a darker wash, you’ll shade the figure at the same time as (hopefully) toning down the too vibrant colours. Again, though, better to practice on a test figure first.
Will do that Jacko,thankyou

P

Paulalison

I find it better to paint camo in muted colours in the first place. I don't use washes myself, but that sounds like the best option - it will also pick up the shadows and define the detail. Don;t forget to post pictures!
Not sure about pictures yet Peter,the standard on here is very high,and my work is not!!!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Paul,
No one here will judge just give great advice. My figures also need a great deal or work to bring them up to a standard I am happy with.

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I have painted some german Tamiya figures in the oakleaf spring pattern,the base coat was xf 52,flat earth,should I use xf 52 as a wash to tone down the colours,there is so much conflicting advice

Paul,

my figure painting is nowhere near - in fact it's non existent - last time mine came out as brown & green blobs with sort of pale lumps on top - so don't worry. as others have said there's lots of helpful advice on this and other sites.

Have you looked at this site?

Timelines

Not tried it personally yet - but it seems a fairly easy way and just uses 4 colours!!

Paul.
:smiling2:

P

Paulalison

Thankyou Paul,i will check that out,here are a couple pictures,first picture the figure has had a wash,second picture,no wash

Attachments

• IMG_3192.JPG
    IMG_3192.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3194.JPG
    IMG_3194.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 15

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
A simple way to improve the skin areas at this scale,if you're not confident painting faces, is an oil wash of raw umber and burnt sienna,mixed 1:1. Paint on and wipe off.
Jon.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
I thin the mix but not as much as say a wash for a vehicle.Wiping off leaves a little colour in the shadow areas.
Jon.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I don't know if this process is transferable to figures, but sometimes, when I finish an aircraft, I might spray a very fine light grey or brown over the model as a filter coat. This can tone everything down, tie it together sort of thing. Of course, you do need an airbrush.

P

Paulalison

thankyou for the replys everybody,here are a couple of pictures of two of the five figure set,only thing now is to apply a coat of clear matt

Attachments

• IMG_3205.JPG
    IMG_3205.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3210.JPG
    IMG_3210.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 11