Tonys Airfix 1/72 spitfire mk1

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Cheers Steve , it looks a very tidy bit of tooling , don’t think I’m going to attempt the supplied paints though , I’ve opened and stirred them and they look a bit see through !

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Made a start on this , unsurprisingly with the cockpit! The kit supplies a decal for the IP , perfectly acceptable for a closed canopy , and i added some paper seat belts , cut off a sheet of paper instrument panels , theyre not sutton harness type but near enough and again the closed canopy will make them virtually invisible anyway . 47C729ED-938C-4453-AC4D-6AAEDDB82E1B.jpeg790DB1DD-64B9-45DC-968D-DA77BB987445.jpeg

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Are you replacing the kit deflector sight? Tempted to get Khaden to replace his with a piece of clear film. Should look better than painting a part silver.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Are you replacing the kit deflector sight? Tempted to get Khaden to replace his with a piece of clear film. Should look better than painting a part silver.
Yes well spotted karl ! Give that man a cigar ! I cut off the solid plastic gunsight glass and will be replacing it with a tiny bit of holographic confetti or clear plastic , cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Main airframe together now , just needing a smidge of filler on the top of the nose and a few smears of Vallejo acrylic putty in places. It’s now had a piece of clear plastic added for the gunsight glass ( just plain clear packaging , off a punnet of cherries I think ) and the canopy has been fitted . The canopy is crystal clear and a tight fit , just needing a bit shaving off the front of the cockpit aperture to allow it to fit .The exhausts ,propellor and wheels / undercarriage legs will be added after painting.Next job mask up the canopy and prime . 57671026-149D-481E-BB50-3A0251B4FD4E.jpeg9CABFBF7-BF32-46BD-963A-D6CF1102EB57.jpeg1D75D5DA-700D-447B-A78B-F0348E2519B0.jpegB75F385B-BD27-4844-B1BD-1D9E8B799211.jpeg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
going to start mine in the next day or so, at least i can follow you to see what the pitfalls are

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
going to start mine in the next day or so, at least i can follow you to see what the pitfalls are
So far Paul the only things I’ve come up against are - the Fuselage locating pins were slightly off so the joint was a little stepped , sort it by either cutting them off or as I did just make the locating hole a bit bigger to give a bit of play . The canopy is a tight fit , the front edge of the windscreen has a lip which is supposed to go behind the front of the cockpit opening just above the instrument panel , I shaved a bit off the cockpit opening here and sanded a little off the back edge of the canopy . One other thing to watch out for is the plastic is VERY soft , even when removing from the sprue with cutters it can tear and cause unnecessary filling. Apart from these minor issues it’s making into a lovely looking kit , cheers tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Canopy masked and sprayed interior green ,then after drying a nice coat of Halfords grey primer . This should show if theres anything that needs sorting , but its looking promising at the moment .71FCBAF1-8A23-4EC1-9E04-2148C4BC5AE0.jpegE1EA7F88-0B1A-45E8-94E0-49913B09E77B.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Got some colour on the underside tonight . I got a Hataka RAF set for this build and others in the future ( Airfix 1/24 hurricane for one !) I like these sets as they have all the specific colours you need for a particular scheme and ive found the hataka paints very nice to use. I dont use their thinners though ,I bought some a few years back and they went a bit weird , crystals forming on the bottom of the bottle ! I just use Vallejo airbrush thinners if i need to thin them slightly for airbrushing. 63E5F300-63CD-440D-8313-E56DC1E4A6B1.jpeg05A1DBB1-29E2-4FEF-AF1A-7CF54DA36386.jpeg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
ive got the same hataka set, used it before and wasnt impressed but am going to give them another go

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A 1:72 Spitfire, probably one of the fastest models you'll ever see. I like 1:72.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well its been a while since ive had any time in the shed ,but today I managed to get some more paint on . I masked the underside and gave the whole upper surfaces a coat of dark earth a few weeks ago and today finally got round to masking the camo with blu tac and blasting on some dark green . The Hataka paints spray nicely and give a lovely sheen , coverage being very good with a couple of light coats . I know when these paints first came out they got a lot of stick for being very see through and other issues but I understand they addressed these problems and the newer formulations are great.The one thing i cant emphasise enough is to shake shake shake !! They have a ball bearing ( or something ) in them as an agitator and i find a minute on the paint shaker ,turning over halfway, Plus thirty seconds of up and down shaking by hand is usually enough to mix the pigment . I thin them if required with Vallejo airbrush thinners . B483FD3E-0E32-409F-8C7E-8175BE67CDC5.jpeg85458206-749B-4CD9-800A-D13B036AE266.jpeg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Mucker, that first photo looks quite disgusting.
Thank goodness I paint the easy way - Wiv a brush!

Now, here's a thing, and I really couldn't give a t*ss which is right, but your wing camouflage squiggles are the exact opposite to the one's I'm doing on my Hurricanes.
I've had a look on Google Images and both are used.

I'd be interested to know which pattern is the right one?

John Constable (Dec.)

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Mucker, that first photo looks quite disgusting.
Thank goodness I paint the easy way - Wiv a brush!

Now, here's a thing, and I really couldn't give a t*ss which is right, but your wing camouflage squiggles are the exact opposite to the one's I'm doing on my Hurricanes.
I've had a look on Google Images and both are used.

I'd be interested to know which pattern is the right one?

John Constable (Dec.)
Cheers matey ,it does look disgusting doesnt it :smiling5: , hopefully my ugly duckling will turn into a swan . I think that the camo was used in both versions ,with the green and brown reversed , as for if its right , Ive no idea ,I just followed the nice picture on the back of the box .
Regards B . Lutac