Tonys Airfix 1/72 spitfire mk1

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A perfect image. One that takes me back years. Except years ago, mine wasn't quite up to the same standard, but was flying by Sunday night.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Got the decals on tonight , no drama but they look a bit huge ! I know that the codes and roundels at this early stage of the war were massive and looked strange but these just seem a tad too big ( any spitfire experts welcome to clarify )
Anyways theyre on and Ive added black wing walk lines from the spares box . The decals were laid on wet Klear to help with positioning, preventing silvering and to act as a softener and pull them into the detail once dried . I think im going to look for some dark red decal for the gun patches instead of paint too. C84E4E09-1886-4396-BBAC-1FBBDECD5733.jpegC1956E36-0F9D-4CB9-BB2B-BD5A23FD675C.jpeg796708AA-DD57-4CEF-B7D9-825FEFAA565E.jpeg

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The roundels certainly look huge on the Duxford one;
Pete
Thanks pete , yes they are arent they , and ive seen a few early Hurricanes with the same huge codes and roundels , just looks so odd though .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good mucker.

Plenty of 'Big Lettered Spits' on google images.....

I too prefer red decal gun patches. Dead realistic pierced with a pin. I don't understand why folks paint on these patches, they just don't look right. Unless, of course the guns haven't been fired!

Last edited:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking very nice. Yes, I've seen the huge decaled models before and wondered, but as we know (google) it's very much real. Does make you wonder why though !

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well ive finally finished this one. Its been 99% completeDSCN3422.JPGDSCN3423.JPG for about a month but ive just not had any time for any modelling or even logging on here due to being busy at work and being away for a holiday. Today though a good hour saw all the last bits done so heres a few pics to finish the build thread , more to come on a 'completed' thread . Thanks to colin for suggesting this GB , cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The large code letters are an attempt to obey the specification laid down in AMO A.298/39 which said that the code letters should be 48" high and with 6" wide brush strokes.
Clearly this was far too big for fighters like the Hurricane or Spitfire. Later an amendment was made, acknowledging what was already a fait accompli, to allow 'smaller letters [are to be used] only when the space available on the fuselage makes such a course unavoidable" This led to the more familiar 30"(ish) letters and later 24" letters.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Tony

Loving this a lot. As you've seen I'm doing my own version of this, albeit with different markings. Not that mine will be up to your standard, so thanks for the 'Wow'

Out of interest did you use for the radio cable? Is it possible to see a pic of the mast from the rear? Is like to see how you attached the'cable'. It actually looks like it's gone through the attachment point.

Very well done indeed!!!

All the best.

Andrew

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi Tony

Loving this a lot. As you've seen I'm doing my own version of this, albeit with different markings. Not that mine will be up to your standard, so thanks for the 'Wow'

Out of interest did you use for the radio cable? Is it possible to see a pic of the mast from the rear? Is like to see how you attached the'cable'. It actually looks like it's gone through the attachment point.

Very well done indeed!!!

All the best.

Andrew
Thanks andrew , the aerial wire i used is ‘Gold Zack Knitting in elastic’ you can find it on ebay or similar . Its a stretchy elastic that glues very quickly with superglue . I first glued the front to the aerial then when set pulled it taut over the top of the stub mast on the tail and applied a tiny spot of superglue . Once set i just cut off the excess and touched up the paint . It stays nice and taut and if accidentally knocked will usually survive due to it being stretchy . I also sometimes use bait elastic , which can be found cheap in fishing tackle shops , which is the same type of stuff . Cheers tony