Tonys Arma hobby 1/72 Hurricane mk1 trop

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres my entry , the 1/72 Hurricane mk1 from Arma hobby. It looks a lovely kit , very nicely done and offers 3 camouflage schemes. I’ll be doing the camo Australian one . Apparently this was the only hurricane to see Aussie service , on a trial. Later it was painted silver . Ive got the eduard painted PE to go with it , i know the set is for the mk11c but even if its only the belts and instrument panel i use it will be worth it. IMG_3825.jpegIMG_3824.jpegIMG_3823.jpegIMG_3827.jpegIMG_3828.jpegIMG_3829.jpeg

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Made a start today , unusually not with the cockpit . Thought I’d follow the instructions for a change so we start with the undercarriage bays. Couple of glitches straightaway - the two halves of the bay dont go together tightly unless you enlarge the holes for the locating pegs. Once these were together and fitted into the wing top the next stage says to fit the undercarriage legs . I know these wouldnt survive the subsequent build process so a bit of fettling is needed to allow them to be fitted later on - enlarge the ends of the cut out and again enlarge the locating hole for the retraction jack.The two circular bits on each leg need to be removed too. The piece that fits over the jack can be fitted afterwards but it needs to be made a touch smaller.IMG_3853.jpegIMG_3857.jpegIMG_3858.jpegIMG_3859.jpegIMG_3856.jpegIMG_3854.jpegIMG_3855.jpeg

Geoffers

SMF Supporter
First Name
Geoff
Good start Tony :thumb2:

I like your chosen scheme, it should look quite distinctive.

Geoff.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Hi Tony, I'll tag along :smiling3:
I haven't been able to finish my current build yet,so won't be starting my Hurricane until next weekend. :sad:
Shame about the problems that you've encountered already,but the detail looks very nice and,no doubt,you'll get a fantastic result which I'm looking forward to seeing develop :thumb2:.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Shame about the problems that you've encountered already,but the detail looks very nice
Cheers andy , theyre only tiny little obstacles and easily sorted but I thought I’d highlight them in case anyone else builds one of these and thinks its a poor kit. Its not ,its beautifully detailed inside and out and apart from these few niggles the fit looks great. Cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
It looks a nice little kit that and I'm sure those small faults will not slow you down much.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
The level of details are amazing Tony. Seated front row

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Got the cockpit done with the help of the etch set . All I ended up using was the belts , side panels and instrument panel . The rear bulkhead needed sanding to get the fuselage to close up as did the triangular brace under the seat IMG_3925.jpegIMG_3924.jpegIMG_3923.jpegIMG_3926.jpegIMG_3927.jpegIMG_3928.jpeg

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Lovely looking interior there Tony:thumb2:,
Interesting thing is,(and I'm guessing it's because my Hurricane is based in a different theatre?),the refs I've seen gives the cockpit colours as a "Cockpit Green" rather than steel.I actually think though,your metal effect looks better,as it's a bit different from the norm:hugging-face:,
Anyway enough of my drivel..... It's looking excellent, looking forward to the next update :nerd:.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Airframe now all together , needed a bit of test fitting and fettling to ensure a nice fit , the bottom of the tubular framework was fouling the wing top so it was cut down . I broke off the aerial post on the top of the rudder during clean up so this was replaced with a piece of brass tubing. Its now had a coat of primer - the AK white I got at the Hinckley show - and is now drying nicely. Why white primer ? Well the paint on Australian aircraft tended to fade quite quickly (especially the underside sky blue which sometimes appeared almost white ) so I thought the white would help to keep the colours light as opposed to the black or grey primer I normally use. IMG_3952.jpegIMG_3953.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Got some paint on the upper surfaces , starting with the foliage green and after masking up with tape , got the earth brown on . It needs a bit of tidying up where the brown has crept under the masking tape and the wavy demarcation on the fuselage needs neatening up too . IMG_3964.jpegIMG_3965.jpegIMG_3966.jpegIMG_3967.jpeg