Tonys matchbox build - LRDG chevrolet and jeep 1/76

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary

set that should include all colours needed @ https://acrylicosvallejo.com/en/producto/hobby/sets/afv-color-series/british-caunter-colors-71211/

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Looking good Tony. And yes, lots of bits! As for colours, the jeeps would have been in standard US Olive Drab when they arrived in theatre and would have been repainted either Portland Stone, Light Stone or Desert Pink (depending on date) at the depot in Alexandria. The LRDG trucks were, I think, originally Canadian Sand or Portland Stone and were then repainted in a bewildering array of schemes. I went for Light Stone on the Jeep and Light Stone with Azure Blue for the Chevy.

P.S. I was about to post the same link as Gary but got sidetracked!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Thanks Gary that’s great , I’ll get some of that then .
Looking good Tony. And yes, lots of bits! As for colours, the jeeps would have been in standard US Olive Drab when they arrived in theatre and would have been repainted either Portland Stone, Light Stone or Desert Pink (depending on date) at the depot in Alexandria. The LRDG trucks were, I think, originally Canadian Sand or Portland Stone and were then repainted in a bewildering array of schemes. I went for Light Stone on the Jeep and Light Stone with Azure Blue for the Chevy.

P.S. I was about to post the same link as Gary but got sidetracked!
Cheers Alex , I’d already looked at the lrdg site but although fascinating ( and at the same time confusing!) it doesn’t give a particular colour other than a verbal description , what I needed was a Vallejo or Tamiya code , the Portland stone 71/288 sounds perfect . I never realised they used so many different and crazily coloured schemes , I might have been tempted to try one of these like you did but I think the decals provided are for two plain machines ( NZ ones with names on the bonnet ) thanks again guys , tony

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well the paint arrived the other day , i was surprised at the colour , i wasnt expecting it to be as pale or yellowy green looking but its the right one so on it went . Next up is the wheels and tyres and then its the multitude of bloody jerry cans / rolls of tarp/ wooden crates etc etc . All of which need painting by hand before fitting . 70F34C37-7134-4524-8421-6A3F616BF3AE.jpeg

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Looking good Tony. It's an odd colour isnt it, a sort of very pale greenish cream.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking good Tony. It's an odd colour isnt it, a sort of very pale greenish cream.
Yes alex i was surprised , i expected it to be like a desert yellow / sand /buff sort of colour , cheers tony

Windy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alex
Yes alex i was surprised , i expected it to be like a desert yellow / sand /buff sort of colour , cheers tony

And Light Stone is much yellower than you'd expect. As for Silver Grey and Slate, let's just not go there!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well I resisted the urge to rod the jeep ! Its now in the process of having all the bits and bobs added on . The four figures have been painted and had a wash to highlight the detail. Once ive finished adding all the bits and given the jeep a wash to dust it up a bit then the two figures will be added . 109F1AB7-A7D6-4994-93F8-F86407FF049F.jpeg19D90CE9-C685-4699-85D2-914EED4915A7.jpeg52E68E1C-B34C-4B0D-88D8-63FB5CA60A30.jpeg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All looking very nice. Those figures have turned out really well.