Tonys stop the pigeon entry

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Heres the kits i’ll be mashing up and altering big style for my stop the pigeon builds . I’m not sure yet how many i’ll be doing , but at least two, one with a catching contraption ( undecided as yet) and one in the general cartoon style with extra wings , tail etc. Like dave I think I might try and make one of the pilot figures look a bit like dick dastardly , hes got loads of flash to carve into shape ! B236D267-1BEA-40D1-8D41-2ED0D7BD6725.jpegEEDFACC2-2ADD-4467-9265-3EEBCB429286.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice one Tony.
Is it just me or is it looking like that the Smer kits are the ones to use for this GB.
Well theyre cheap as chips and big enough to get your teeth into ( or any other cutting tools you might fancy !) although i did consider getting a couple of the wingnut wings kits and chopping those up :tongue-out3::tongue-out3::tongue-out3::tongue-out3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Well theyre cheap as chips and big enough to get your teeth into ( or any other cutting tools you might fancy !) although i did consider getting a couple of the wingnut wings kits and chopping those up :tongue-out3::tongue-out3::tongue-out3::tongue-out3:

Talking of Wingnut Wings - has anyone had a look at the Scale-a-ton website videos? You can see why these kits cost so much.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well ive made a start on the first one. This will just be a cartoon style aircraft , the pigeon catching contraption is to follow. The one ive started with
is the Fokker Dr1 and what a Fokker it is! Just like Ians Walrus DSCN2743 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2744 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2745 [Desktop Resolution].JPGits covered in flash and sink marks and has the decal locations applied as raised detail! I think this is an old Hawk kit or something , whatever ,its certainly been round the block a few times. Im going to chop the rear fuselage and extend it and add an extra wing from plastic card. The Dr1 is a mental looking plane anyway with the scolloped trailing edges and triangular tailplane so its a great start to chop up into something cartoony. Heres a few pics of the surface detail(?!), more updates at the weekend as im away for the night tomorrow

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
OK , bit more progress today . Ive chopped the tail off and extended it with plastic sheet and strip, and filled some more sink marks/joints etc. Ive also cut out the pieces for the extra wing and marked the ribs on the underside of the top thin plastic sheet with a biro and a ruler. The front edge was then glued and clamped . I had cut the top piece a bit bigger front to back than the underneath piece so that when I glue the back edge I can bow up the top piece before gluing and clamping ,thus creating an aerofoil type shape . The tailplane has also been stuck on (anyone else seeing Gloster Javelin at this point!!?) but Im not using the kit rudder ,instead cobbling one up from plastic card again but with a scalloped batwing type shape. The poor pilot has also been tackled , this being about my skill level for figure painting , and this is one of the very few occasions where we WANT to see the whites of their eyes ! Im still not decided what colour its going to be but one things for certain , its not getting any weathering or panel line washes or any of that messing about!, heres some pics DSCN2746 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2747 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2748 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2749 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2750 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2751 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2752 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2753 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2754 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2755 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2756 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2757 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2758 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2759 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2760 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2762 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2763 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2764 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Tony, the wings look fantastic. And that's also about the best I could do a figure, but he looks the part. Top work my friend.

J

Jens Andrée

Your wing job looks like it did the trick and looks very good!!!
I've decided to make a plaster mould for mine and give it a go... I don't know my odds for success but I'm going to have fun whilst doing it so it's a win either way ;)

Your tail surgery looks very close to my pencil drawings but this was a common feature of the planes in the show so I don't think I'm going to be called out for plagiarism...?
Luckily my youngest son still loves cartoons and the two of us have been sitting down to watch the old episodes earlier this week for inspiration and I've got loads!
Realising them in styrene is a whole different story, but I've got some sort of plan!

Fantastic work so far!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ive now fettled and fitted the rudder and the lower pair of wings , also the cabane struts on the fuselage front deck. The top and extra bottom wings are going to be left off till later to ease painting. The wings are normally connected with a long strut that goes all the way from top to bottom but as I'm adding another wing underneath Ive had to make some longer ones from styrene section. The original lower wings have had a slot cut in them so this can pass right through to the new bottom wing. I think I might use the kit undercarriage struts and aerofoil section also the wheels but I'm going to have to make a much longer tail skid /wheel . The extra wing has been glued up on the rear edge and now just needs the ends closing up. heres some picsDSCN2765 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2766 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2767 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2768 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2769 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2770 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2771 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Little bit more progress today , its got the first bit of colour on , two shades of blue , darker for the wings and tail. Ive not assembled the top and bottom wings as it will make painting easier. The two middle wings might get painted with the old hairy stick as its just a pain to mask up! Hopefully i can get this one together soon and then start thinking about which kit im going to butcher next !! ADCFD49A-1F46-4BE9-96D8-C66D45738C87.jpeg