Top 3 armour kits?

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Hi all,
Just wanted to ask what your "top 3" armour kits are? Whether they're ones you've already built, or are on your wishlist, I'd be interested to hear. There are no wrong answers, and I realise this is very subjective; just looking for friendly discussion and ideas. Cheers!

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I would only mention models I have actually enjoyably made - sometimes models you wish for turn out to be a heap of dung!
In no particular order ( All 1/35 models )
Trumpeter SU-152
Zvezda MSTA-S 152mm SPG
Vulcan Light Tank Mk. VIb
These gave me the most satisfaction, either for good engineering, or a bit of a challenge to make ( but not enough to raise your bp! )
Dave

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
As with Dave, I can only go by models I have actually built.

Meng Bradley is the number one spot, very challenging kit due to the full interior, but beautifully engineered and superb fit.
Tamiya M40 SPG second, usual Tamiya quality and something a little different in the armour category.
Ryefield Models M-ATV third, I'm actually currently building this but so far it's been on par with the best of Meng or Tamiya.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Being a founder member of the 'Cheapskate Brigade', I don't have any favourites. I'll have a stab at anything, so I go for the cheapest kits, therefore no worries or loosing sleep about kit quality or accuracy. I just build for fun what's in the box. ;)

Yours,
Abeneza Scrooge VI (Ret)

Last edited:

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I'm with Ron i don't like to spend more than fifteen squids ten or twelve makes me shudder no such thing as a bad kit might not have lived up to expectations but put your head down and bash on its all a learning curve. Dave

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I usually go with cheaper/older kits (Italery, Revell, old Zvezda), so there's always fitting issues or scratch-building involved. In general I like the typical German armour, which is pretty cliché but that's how it is : )
-Tiger II (kingtiger)
-Panther G late
-JagdTiger

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Being a founder member of the 'Cheapskate Brigade', I don't have any favourites. I'll have a stab at anything, so I go for the cheapest kits, therefore no worries about kit quality. I just build for fun what's in the box. ;)

Yours,
Abeneza Scrooge VI (Ret)
Any chance of joining Ron .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Any chance of joining Ron .

Of course you can, David.

Simply P.M. me your bank details, along with an initial joining fee of 100 pounds sterling cash to my address (which I will send you in due course)

Once I receive your details, I will forward them on to my cousin at The Nigerian University for safe keeping.........

Ivor Scamgoinnon

Sorry for the slight deviation from the subject matter, Dale.

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Of course you can, David.

Simply P.M. me your bank details, along with an initial joining fee of 100 pounds sterling cash to my address (which I will send you in due course)

Once I receive your details, I will forward them on to my cousin at The Nigerian University for safe keeping.........

Ivor Scamgoinnon

Sorry for the slight deviation from the subject matter, Dale.
No worries mate. I gather there's a bit of banter on here. Just a bit, here and there. lol.

wasdale32

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I suppose it depends on whether you mean "Top 3" in terms of accuracy, build quality/buildability or enjoyment....

I'm not one to get the calipers/vernier gauges out each time I open a box so I'll focus on buildability/enjoyment.

• Tamiya Cromwell - a great kit that literally falls together and definitely looks like a Cromwell (even if the hedgerow cutter is a bit debateable)
  • Bronco Comet - another well engineered kit that definitely looks the part
  • AFV Club Centurion (IDF Shot)

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The only armour kit I have built recently is the Meng Tiger 2 (King Tiger). The version with a full interior. I found this to be a very good kit. Accurate but quite easy to build.
No nasty surprises.
John.

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Being a founder member of the 'Cheapskate Brigade', I don't have any favourites. I'll have a stab at anything, so I go for the cheapest kits, therefore no worries or loosing sleep about kit quality or accuracy. I just build for fun what's in the box. ;)

Yours,
Abeneza Scrooge VI (Ret)
You hit the nail on the head.I always say its the enjoyment of the kit and many a nice model can be made from golden oldie ones.Its what the modeller does with his or hers kit.
Happy modelling kindred spirit.
Rich

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Not built any AFV for years and years, prefer soft skins for their details (but I'm also with Ron in the 'cheapskate' group - debating whether to pay £12 on a kit)

First Name
Chris
Meng Panther A late - an absolute beauty of a kit, I loved absolutely everything about it from beginning to end.
Tamiya Cromwell - just brilliant fun. I managed to get a very decent tune out of it too, even using the rubber tracks (and some CA)
Tamiya FAMO with the sd.kfz.116 trailer - an absolute tour de force. They just don't make kits like that these days. Utterly magnificent. I'd love for Tamiya to show a bit of ambition and redo it usnig their new mold technology, better figures etc, new features etc.