Top 3 armour kits?

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Meng Panther A late - an absolute beauty of a kit, I loved absolutely everything about it from beginning to end.
Tamiya Cromwell - just brilliant fun. I managed to get a very decent tune out of it too, even using the rubber tracks (and some CA)
Tamiya FAMO with the sd.kfz.116 trailer - an absolute tour de force. They just don't make kits like that these days. Utterly magnificent. I'd love for Tamiya to show a bit of ambition and redo it usnig their new mold technology, better figures etc, new features etc.
With the exception of the Cromwell (not my 'thing') for which I'd substitute the Dragon Wittmans' Tiger or any of their Stug's. I agree with you Chris- I love the FAMO''s and have a couple 99% finished and waiting for inclusion in a Diorama! Oh, and 'Welcome' to the forum!
Steve

First Name
Chris
Good to know. I'm looking at getting this kit
Thanks Alan - yeah, it is an absolute peach. I love Meng kits anyway but this is outstanding from them in my opinion. Just a beautiful model. You can look at my humble efforts with it on my insta - @BringupthePIAT

Its just one of those kits that goes together like plastic poetry, all the accessories etc really let you bring it to life.

With the exception of the Cromwell (not my 'thing') for which I'd substitute the Dragon Wittmans' Tiger or any of their Stug's. I agree with you Chris- I love the FAMO''s and have a couple 99% finished and waiting for inclusion in a Diorama! Oh, and 'Welcome' to the forum!
Steve

Cheers Steve - appreciated. Ive got a FAMO on the bench right now, just putting finishing touches in. It looks great because you can really let yourself off the leash with the chipping and worn paint, grime, oil stains, rust washes etc because of the job they did behind the lines.

I always think that going nuts on the chipping and rust effects on a WW2 tank overstates their expected lifespans - most never lived long enough to get really scrappy and messy. But the FAMOs, sure. A great opportunity to push the oil paint washes and stains on the wood slats on the trailer, am having a lot of fun with it. For sure will buy another one to sit in the stash.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Thanks Alan - yeah, it is an absolute peach. I love Meng kits anyway but this is outstanding from them in my opinion. Just a beautiful model. You can look at my humble efforts with it on my insta - @BringupthePIAT

Its just one of those kits that goes together like plastic poetry, all the accessories etc really let you bring it to life.

Cheers Steve - appreciated. Ive got a FAMO on the bench right now, just putting finishing touches in. It looks great because you can really let yourself off the leash with the chipping and worn paint, grime, oil stains, rust washes etc because of the job they did behind the lines.

I always think that going nuts on the chipping and rust effects on a WW2 tank overstates their expected lifespans - most never lived long enough to get really scrappy and messy. But the FAMOs, sure. A great opportunity to push the oil paint washes and stains on the wood slats on the trailer, am having a lot of fun with it. For sure will buy another one to sit in the stash.
Yup! I have a thread called 'Airbornes's Brace of FAMOs' that are destined for (ultimate) inclusion in dioramas - I'd love to know what you think - mine are minded on a relatively new vehicle, and second - echelon usage
Steve

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
No particular order,the kits I enjoyed building,and looking at afterwards,the most are....
Tamiya 1/35th Sdkfz 7/1 Flakvierling
Tamiya 1/35th Patton M48 A3
CMK 1/35th Sturmgeschutz IV
Andy

First Name
Chris
Yup! I have a thread called 'Airbornes's Brace of FAMOs' that are destined for (ultimate) inclusion in dioramas - I'd love to know what you think - mine are minded on a relatively new vehicle, and second - echelon usage
Steve

Ive posted my completed FAMO in the Soft skin section. Love to know what you think.

I looked at your two and they are excellent. Superbly done. I love the small details and your weathering is light years better than mine. love your work mate, beautiful job.