Tornado ADV - 1/48 Hobby Boss

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Derek. How are you doing the seat harnesses in the cockpit? You going for the authentic look or are you just laying them on the seat?

C

Caledonia

Hi Allyne, I don't know what I am going to do with the seat belts at the moment, the back rest of the seat in the kit has two of the seat belts moulded on at present, so Option 1 is to enhance them with some Tamiya Tape/wire home made ones. Option 2 is my Royal Navy Phantom kit came with two crew, which you were not supposed to use, and the aires cockpit prevented this anyway, so if they fit I will use them here. If I do adopt Option 2 I will also look at shortening the front undercarriage so it looks like the Tornado is braking heavily. I have downloaded a photo from the Martin Baker Website of the Mk.10A Ejector Seat so this is better than the kit instructions for painting. As mentioned earlier I usually like to keep the aircraft profile clean i.e. no deployed airbrakes etc. but plan to have everything deployed this time since this is the first kit I have seen which models the Fowler type flaps. Cheers Derek

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ah so you'll have crew in it. No problems. I was just going to mention how the ground crew lay out the straps just before the pilot/nav get into the cockpit.

Can't wait to see it being built though. I have a 1/48 GR4 to build and am trying to source a 1/32 GR1

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Derek, I was looking at the hobby boss kit in emodel's webshop. So I might just buy it. However, befor I splash out the forty odd quid for it, I think I will wait and see what you have to say about the kit.

The Italeri Black panther was a good build with out too many problems. Just the rather fragile way the wings and pylons were fixed. Lets have some good detail photos of the kit when you get around to starting it.

Cheers,

Ian M.

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Ah so you'll have crew in it. No problems. I was just going to mention how the ground crew lay out the straps just before the pilot/nav get into the cockpit.Can't wait to see it being built though. I have a 1/48 GR4 to build and am trying to source a 1/32 GR1
Hi Allyne, If my wee men don't fit, I might have to take up your offer re the seat belt set-up. Thanks Derek

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Hi Derek, I was looking at the hobby boss kit in emodel's webshop. So I might just buy it. However, befor I splash out the forty odd quid for it, I think I will wait and see what you have to say about the kit.The Italeri Black panther was a good build with out too many problems. Just the rather fragile way the wings and pylons were fixed. Lets have some good detail photos of the kit when you get around to starting it.

Cheers,

Ian M.
Hi Ian, I got my one from modelsforsale.com for just under £34 including postage, but I had a 6% loyalty discount on top of their normal 10% on their website. If you are not in a hurry, it's a good idea to wait. I am impressed with the out of the box inspection, the wings have positionable fowler flaps which I have never seen on a model and airbrakes on top of the wing which are also positionable. They also have photo etch parts for the clam shell doors on the reverse thrust. May start plastic bashing tonight. Cheers Derek

C

Caledonia

As mentioned previously the detail of the cockpit is a little disappointing in so much as the embossed details for the instruments have no dial detail unlike my recent Starfighter. A set of Decals is provided, but they are all black background which from internet photos I have seen should be light grey. Based on this therefore I have decided to hand paint the cockpit tub. After some heavy filing etc have managed to persuade my ex-crew members from my Royal Navy Phantom to get into the cockpit. Have attached some before and after photos of the Cockpit. Cheers Derek

View attachment 25429

View attachment 25430

View attachment 25431

View attachment 25432

13-Tornado.jpg

14-Tornado.jpg

15-Tornado.jpg

16-Tornado.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looking good. You might want to put the reflective 'cross' on their helmets though ;) lol

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Looking good. You might want to put the reflective 'cross' on their helmets though ;) lol
Hi Allyne, not sure what you mean, can you explain the shape/orientation and colour of the cross and I will try to oblige. Thanks Derek

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
It's reflective tape (SOLAS) so the pilot can be found by SAR units should they have to eject from their aircraft. Here is the only pic i have found of it so far...

C

Caledonia

Hi Allyne, thanks for the photo, will try to add the cross to the helmets; will include a photo for my mext posting. Cheers Derek

C

Caledonia

Have now added the reflective tape to the Helmets as identified be Allyne, used Tamiya flat aluminium hand painted. Cockpit tub has been added to the fuselage and the nose wheel bay has been added, still to tidy up the joints. Hobby Boss are approaching this build using a modular method which in my limited experience is unusual. One module is from the radome to the engine intake ducts, the second module is the Wings with adjacent fuselage, and the third module is the engine exhaust. The joints on these modules should be 'interesting'. Cheers Derek

View attachment 25464

View attachment 25465

View attachment 25466

View attachment 25467

View attachment 25468

17-Tornado.jpg

18-Tornado.jpg

19-Tornado.jpg

20-Tornado.jpg

21-Tornado.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looking good Derek :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking interesting this. I got one off flea-bay the other day for £38 inc. postage to DK, so not to bad. ( you all think I'm nuts but I'm pleased with the price). Needless to say I will be watching this build full on!!!

Nice job on the cock-pit.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Ddi a grand job of that Derek. Lovin it

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Ddi a grand job of that Derek. Lovin it
Thanks Allyne, wonder if you can help please, looking at internet photo's it looks to me old eyes that the windscreen of the Tornado is lightly tinted brown. Can you confirm/correct this guess. Many thanks Derek

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
They are clear. You probably find they look 'tinted' due to reflexion from the instrument panel coving. The only tint they had was around the edges and this was due to the electric heating/demisting in them. It was a very very fine electrical spraymat on the screen so it could be kept clear which could give a slight colour change but nothing too much. Remember tints hinder forward viewing and that's something you don't want as a pilot lol

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2143364/2/istockphoto_2143364-tornado-gr4.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2649/4090370732_9ac73875d5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Oh and if you are wondering what those white straps in the second picture are.... they are arm restraints that pull the arms into the body when you eject so they aren't flapping around and getting injured/lost

C

Caledonia

Thanks for the info Allyne, I suppose the F3 which I am modelling would be the same as the GR4?, the attached photo of an F3 made me ask the question. Thanks again Derek

View attachment 25515

1416805.jpg