Total beginner needs advise

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Gary,
Starter sets are a good place to try your hand - they're normal models, just with the addition of paint, cement & brushes, ideal to see if you like the hobby. Tools, well, you should be able to cope with a starter model, with normal household items! As a kid, I used nail clippers, and nail files, before moving onto more convenient tools.
We're having a group build, using starter sets, starting in April * Starter GB * This can give you an idea of what forum members will be making ( myself included ).
All you have to do is enjoy it - it's a learning curve, and you're making it for yourself - not to be judged by others ( that'll come later! )
All the best, Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Maybe the best advice is: don’t overthink things. You can spend ages thinking about what you need or don’t need, but you’re far more likely to see if this is a hobby for you by buying a kit of a subject you’re interested in (but, as mentioned, it is a good idea to ask whether it’s suitable — some kits are very hard to put together, others are very easy) plus a few basic tools, and just starting building it.

Speaking somewhat generically, what you’ll want to avoid if you’re after a model you can actually build with little or no experience, are kits by Eastern European and American manufacturers. Anything reasonably modern from a Western European or East Asian manufacturer is unlikely to have poorly fitting parts, though some brands have far more and smaller detail parts than others.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
One of the most important things i will say is. Just have fun. Yes you might make mistakes. Paint something wrong. Glue your fingers together or leave a smudge on the kit. But hey ho. I still do that and i've been making kits for decades.

I still look back at some of the kits i've made way back and think 'wow they are a bit dog rough'. But you know what. I had fun making them. And that's what i remember. I can also see where i have improved too.

Enjoy