TRACTOR.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I got a Airfix Shaun the Sheep tractor from a charity shop for £2.50, no figures but all the tractor is there. I would reckon on 1/12 scale ish. Not doing the scheme on the box, doing my own paint scheme and weathering.

Has been primed, salted, top coat added, knocked back and then scuffed to give the paint-still slightly tacky-to give that peel affect in places. Engine area has been painted, red enamel used then stippled, oil washes applied. Dials have silvered, whitened then a dust coat-finally clear resin added.

Wheels have had the same treatment and rusted, tyres have had a white oil wash to give a worn/aged grey look instead of black.

Still more to do.

Si:smiling3:

View attachment 90480

View attachment 90481

View attachment 90482

View attachment 90483

View attachment 90484

View attachment 90485

View attachment 90486

DSCF3999.JPG

DSCF4000.JPG

DSCF4001.JPG

DSCF4002.JPG

DSCF4005.JPG

DSCF4008.JPG

DSCF4009.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Ay I like that si it looks like it's been left in a barn for 20 years :smiling3:

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Ta guys, not sure if this is going on a board or a stand alone.

B

Bunkerbarge

The surface rust works really well. What colours did you use as a base coat and what treatment did you add after you rubbed the salt away?

Lovely job and again hours of fun on the cheap, can't beat it!!

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
The surface rust works really well. What colours did you use as a base coat and what treatment did you add after you rubbed the salt away?Lovely job and again hours of fun on the cheap, can't beat it!!
Hi Richard, I started out by using a light grey primer, then salted and used a tin of enamel spray-while still tacky I used a stiff toothbrush to knock the salt off-I also use a sponge-one advantage is that the rubbing dulls the paintwork so it looks faded. Once dry I then added various rust pigments and built it up. Once all dry it has had a coat of matt varnish.

The wheels are again, light grey primer, but I then used satin black spray over the top after salting. Rusting was added and in places thinned and then dabbed and rubbed with kitchen towel to thin it out and look more surface than deep seated rust.

D

Deleted member 3568

Up to your usual very high standards Si,its great how you can take a cheap bit of old tat and turn it into pure gold.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Up to your usual very high standards Si,its great how you can take a cheap bit of old tat and turn it into pure gold.
Tricky part is the windows, want to replicate a broken panel, not sure how to do it yet...hmmmmmmmmmm.

Ta Ken, appreciate the words, pure gold...covered in rust lol.

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I can' t wait to see this finished looks better than i could do.

Peter t

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks great Si , the rust is excellent. How about a clear CD case for the window glass , easily obtainable and should splinter/break /cut nicely. cheers tony

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
I can' t wait to see this finished looks better than i could do.Peter t
Don't knock yourself Pete, your stuff is excellent, it was your work on the tractor that made me get this one.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Looks great Si , the rust is excellent. How about a clear CD case for the window glass , easily obtainable and should splinter/break /cut nicely. cheers tony
I have the glass Tony, but not sure how to get a splintered effect. I may have to use your idea, or even get an old CD itself, break it and rub away the coating.

Glad you're liking it so far.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
just count up on this one Si, lov it the rust looks great, and one part that real stand,s out for me is the

weathering on the seat, is superb, and over all just a great job, look forward to seeing more ;)

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
just count up on this one Si, lov it the rust looks great, and one part that real stand,s out for me is theweathering on the seat, is superb, and over all just a great job, look forward to seeing more ;)
Thanks Moni, this is slowly coming together, although I have noticed that the fit isn't great and it has been warped-adds to the charm I suppose.

Enjoying this build and hopefully it will all look great, knackered but great :D

S

Saj

That looks great mate. Love the rusty look. Agree with monica on the seat. It has a real cracked leather look to it. Can't wait to see the complete build pics. Saj