Transferring designs to wood.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
There are many ways of transferring designs to wood,here is one that just requires a small tool made up but will last you for years-

Find a small clock wheel and mount it into the end of a piece of dowel spacing out with tiny washers,use a nail or even pin for the bearing,make sure it runs freely.

To transfer the design to wood firstly draw around the design onto tracing paper,place this onto your cutting board and go around the design using the clock wheel tool,this will make small indentations into the tracing paper which is what we want,next lay the pricked paper onto the wood and with an artists pastel rub over the tiny holes,remove the tracing and the job is done,a quick spray with artists fixatif will lock the dots all ready to cut out the shape.

Dressmakers shops sometimes sell these wheels ready made up for tapestry kits.

J

JerzyBin

I used it also to simulate rivets on the hull and to create decent decks.

DSC04913.jpg

Cheers

Jerzy

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Great tool you have made there Jerzy,you will continue to find uses for it.

B

Bluewavestudios

Excellent Tip Barry,

Also one I have used for years too, you can buy these ready made from haberdashery shops, but the teeth are not as small as on your one, still works well though.

Regards....Mark

A

artic-corsair

i used to use carbon paper , draw the item on to grease proof paper through the carbon paper then iron it on to the balsa etc with my covering iron , great for wing ribbs with the spar in the middle.