Trapper Bust

J

Judas.1044

Hi fellas!

Well, right after Christmas hangover, I've come back to the modelling world with new energies.

I have received some nice presents I will post in a future, but I wanted something different so I have tried some "restoration".

Here you have a trapper bust I painted some 18 years ago when I was younger and more inexperienced:

View attachment 96443

I used mainly citadel paints and citadel inks for shading, which goes well for 28 mm figures but in a bust they don't work so well. Anyway I guess I lost my patience since you can see that I didn't even finshed it.

This poor guy has been abandoned in a shelf for almost 20 years, exposed to dust and some terrible nephews:

View attachment 96444

That explains the missing of some feathers in his coonskin cap and the misterious unpainted spot in the tip of his nose.

Definitely, it needed a new look!!

So first of all I fill the holes in his coonskin cap with some green putty and I scribbed it, trying to imitate a fur texture:

View attachment 96445

Afterwards, I airbrushed all the figure in black:

View attachment 96446

In order to create quick references for lights and shadows, I airbrushed a neutral grey tone from above the figure:

View attachment 96423

And as I wanted to see the lightest points very clearly, I airbrushed from above a final coat of white:

View attachment 96425

Then I started with colour, airbrushing a sand tone for the leather jacket:

View attachment 96426

With a dark brown, first I applied a very dilluted wash in the darker areas, and then I unified the tones with the airbrush, pointing from below the figure:

View attachment 96427

For the lights, I applied the same sand color I used for the base coat, but with quite a lot of white, and I painted the highlighted areas quite roughly:

View attachment 96428

Next step, as same as with the darker tones, I unified everything with a more gentle mixture of sand + white, applied with an airbrush from above:

View attachment 96429

That creates that "velvet" texture I wanted for the jacket. Once the jacket was finished, I decided to paint the skin, so first of all, I protected the previous work with a latex based liquid mask:

View attachment 96430

Following the same procedure, I airbrushed a neutral skin tone, then a darker one from beneath and a lighter one from above:

View attachment 96431

Let's give him some life! Now it's the moment the figure gets its soul, when I paint the hair and the eyes.

Tips I followed for the details:

Try to use a mixture of the skin tone + red for the lower lip

Guess what? The white part of the eyes or sclera, actually is not white, try to use a bone colour

If you want to add light and realism, paint a white spot between the iris and the pupil:

View attachment 96432

This is how it looks when the face painting is finished:

View attachment 96433

View attachment 96434

Now let's go for some detailing. Using the same bone colour I used for the sclera, I painted the shirt:

View attachment 96435

Since I don't know any trapper to ask, I searched the Internet to see how I could paint the ornaments, and I managed to find some help:

View attachment 96437

View attachment 96436

View attachment 96438

View attachment 96439

Since the system doesn't allow me to include more pics, I will follow in the next post!

FOTO (7).JPG

FOTO (8).JPG

FOTO (9).JPG

FOTO (11).JPG

FOTO (12).JPG

FOTO (13).JPG

FOTO (14).JPG

FOTO (16).JPG

FOTO (1).JPG

FOTO (17).JPG

FOTO (18).JPG

FOTO (19).JPG

FOTO (20).JPG

FOTO (22).jpg

FOTO (23).jpg

FOTO (26).JPG

FOTO (2).JPG

FOTO (3).JPG

FOTO (5).JPG

FOTO (6).JPG

Last edited:
J

John Rixon

Wow, some serious skills here, and an object lesson on how important research is. Top marks, that man!

J

Judas.1044

Thanks kpnuts!

Getting near the end...

I also painted the leather belts and teeth collar trying to gave them a "used" look, with some little scratches:

View attachment 96447

And for the braid cover, I decided to try a reddish tone:

View attachment 96448

I also added a used pipe in the belt:

View attachment 96449

Time to go for the most iconic gear of our lad, the coonskin cap!

Well basically I painted with a mixture of brown and grey and I went on trying different washes and "dry brush" highlights:

View attachment 96450

View attachment 96451

View attachment 96452

Then I just had to paint the plinth in black and add a nice and natural base to give him a wild look and voilà:

View attachment 96453

Trapper Bust restoration completed!!

Thanks for watching pals!

FOTO (25).JPG

FOTO (27).JPG

FOTO (37).JPG

FOTO (28).JPG

FOTO (31).JPG

FOTO (32).JPG

FOTO (38).JPG

J

Judas.1044

\ said:
Wow, some serious skills here, and an object lesson on how important research is. Top marks, that man!
Thank you John!

Actually research is one of my favourites when modelling

P

Polux

Lovely restoration paintwork Javi!

Very nice ;)

PS: We will go for Figure Group Build on July, I hope to see you there :smiling3:

J

Judas.1044

\ said:
Lovely restoration paintwork Javi!Very nice ;)

PS: We will go for Figure Group Build on July, I hope to see you there :smiling3:
Thanks Polux! I've got some figures to paint, and it would be an honor for me to participate in the Figure Group Build!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great work Javi,do like him,

research is one thing i do before and even as im doing the figures or base so it combines,

with what idea i have in my head,

very well done and will look forward to seeing what you do in Figure Group Build on July ;)