Trekkie John's King Tiger (Tamiya 1/35)

T

Trekkie_John

Got a bit of a dilemma, one side of the tracks is finished. Made a start on the other side and run out of pins!!

20171111_132240.jpg

I've checked and have some wire that'll work so thats not a problem, it's the pin heads that i need to make. So it looks like i was right, this build is going to fight me all the way!! But it will not win......

Mind you, if i stopped playing around with making this look like a Camel Trophy support vehicle 20171109_163611.jpg i may get the tracks done this side of christmas :rolleyes:.

Have fun, John

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Looking good John, I've said this a few times on here but I'd love to do some armour but people always moan about the tracks, are they that laborious? See an absolute stack of takom trumpeter and tamiya armour in my local old school model shop and was very tempted.

T

Trekkie_John

Looking good John, I've said this a few times on here but I'd love to do some armour but people always moan about the tracks, are they that laborious? See an absolute stack of takom trumpeter and tamiya armour in my local old school model shop and was very tempted.

To be honest i was enjoying sorting the tracks until i ran out of pins. But theses Meng tracks are great and i think they will give the look of sag just right. If i was you get a nice cheap tank and some cheap aftermarket tracks and give it a go, you never know, you might enjoy it too. They can be laborious until you find a rhythm, but i build a few at a time them go onto something else if they start being a pain lol.

Right lads, i've got an idea!! (where have i heard that before hehehe). The wire idea is working and if i cut the plastic coating thin enough i can get the some look.

20171111_152035.jpg

Have fun, John

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
To be honest i was enjoying sorting the tracks until i ran out of pins. But theses Meng tracks are great and i think they will give the look of sag just right. If i was you get a nice cheap tank and some cheap aftermarket tracks and give it a go, you never know, you might enjoy it too. They can be laborious until you find a rhythm, but i build a few at a time them go onto something else if they start being a pain lol.

Right lads, i've got an idea!! (where have i heard that before hehehe). The wire idea is working and if i cut the plastic coating thin enough i can get the some look.

View attachment 290187

Have fun, John
Good idea maybe I'll run one alongside a plane at some point, I'm pretty sure there was some meng armour in their too would they come with decent tracks or would I still need to get aftermarket? Cheers John.

T

Trekkie_John

Good idea maybe I'll run one alongside a plane at some point, I'm pretty sure there was some meng armour in their too would they come with decent tracks or would I still need to get aftermarket? Cheers John.

Meng is like some of the latest Tamiya kits, everything you need is in the box and just give it a good shake and it's done :smiling3:. I wouldn't bother with aftermarket for the likes of them, but some of the older kit then yes. I built the Tamiya Centaur some time ago and fitted Hobby Boss Cromwell tracks, think i payed £5 for them too.

T

Trekkie_John

So after a lot of sprue stretching and even more cutting i've got the tracks together, still waiting on some stock so i can get the track pin head detail finished but they work. Didn't want to post photos up every five minutes of the track build because once you've seen one little black track you've seen them all, and trust me, i was getting fed up seeing them lol.

So this is where i'm at, hull and turret is now in primer. Might get the dark yellow on this weekend, if i don't get any distractions :confused:

20171123_194147.jpg 20171123_194155.jpg 20171123_194201.jpg 20171123_194248.jpg 20171123_194255.jpg 20171123_194303.jpg 20171123_194314.jpg

Have fun, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking excellent john , cant wait to see the colour go on , cheers tony

T

Trekkie_John

Looking good john. I'm going to keep an eye out for those meng tracks.

They are great tracks Colin, but in the pack i got there was just enough pins to do one side. Hopefully it was just a mistake in my box, and if you're fitting them to the Tamiya KT all you need to do is thin the inside faces of the drive sprocket a little bit and they fit lovely. Meng also provide the torsion bars too. But trust me, they don't fit Tamiya King Tiger i tried ;)

And the 0.8mm & 1.mm round styrene strip has turned up today so i can now get the other side finished.

Have fun, John

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice John,do like your zim,turned out well,:D

T

Trekkie_John

So over the weekend i thought it was time to get some paint on the beast, first the primer. Then some mottling, got the idea from Scale-a-ton on Youtube but he builds aircraft (and good at it too). Thought i'd give it a try on some armour.
20171126_155931.jpg 20171126_155943.jpg

Then it was onto dark yellow, and red brown for the camo...........
20171126_195101.jpg20171126_195124.jpg

Looked at it this morning and didn't like how it turned out, the red brown was way over the top. Thinking i was going to start from scratch i thought i'd load the airbrush with some dark yellow first and see if i could tone it down a little, glad i did........
20171127_125912.jpg 20171127_125922.jpg
Started doing the detail work, decals on later. Then the fun starts, weathering.

Have fun, John

T

Trekkie_John

Thought i'd give you a sneak peek at the tracks, was a right pain in the you know what. Only because i did the track weathering before i fitted them so everywhere was tight lol. I do have photos of how i got to this stage but they're not on the computer yet.

And as you can see i had a re-think of the damage/rusty side skirts, looks loads better me thinks.......

20171202_124539.jpg

Have fun, John

T

Trekkie_John

Hi all, now that the photos are on me computer i can post. Started with a red/brown mix, thought i'd give some "Rub'n Buff" a try for the tracks where they contact the steel wheels. Turned out well so did the wheels too. But as you can see, i lost most of the Rub'n Buff under the weathering (we know it's there lol). So while the mud mix was out i did the lower hull, waited that to dry and mixed up some Pledge floor polish with a little Vallejo black & brown for the wet look on the mud. Think i went over the top with the black though hehehe!

Some mud on the wheels, then it was time to bring it all together.

20171130_193340.jpg20171130_195324.jpg20171201_203118.jpg20171201_203132.jpg20171201_203146.jpg20171202_124532.jpg20171203_161120.jpg20171203_161135.jpg

Have fun, John