Trench Sections in 1:32 scale

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Andy

Glad to hear that the house repairs are well underway - having ceilings must make it more of a home and less of a building site. Fingers' crossed that it does not take too long.

First Name
Andrew
I have made a small bit of progress on the latest section which shows two parts of trench mines. When I have time, I'll post some photos, which I have at home - I have to post them from home, but never seem to have time to post! I 've just had a very welcome break from flood damage in Andorra.
Watch this space!
Andy

Reactions: JR
First Name
Andrew
Here are the promise progress shots of the little work I've done in recent months. I have to reduce them at home but never have time to post there these days, so I copied them to a memory stick and doing this during my lunch break at work. (I'm back home but have no end of tasks to do there!)

This is my 10th section model, which consists of two parts. The first shows tunnelers 'clay kicking' the soil as quietly as possible. The second, lower half, will show the tunnelers 'tamping' or blocking the mine charge with sandbags to force the explosion up rather than back through the tunnel.

IMG_3216.JPG

After creating boxes of acrylic, I clad the tunnels with strips of balsa. The roof timbers have a rebate to fix the upright to the walls.

IMG_3249.JPGIMG_3250.JPGIMG_3251.JPG

Where the explosive charge was I laid the timbers closer together. I've been following illustrations from a book by Peter Barton called Beneath Flanders Fields.

IMG_3252.JPG

I made a 'crucifix' chair from balsa with a central rebate made by a mixture of cutting and filing.

IMG_3253.JPG

There will be some spare timbers waiting to be put in place once the next area has been clay kicked.
IMG_3254.JPGIMG_3255.JPGIMG_3256.JPG

I had hoped to join the WW1 Group Build, but will not make much of a contribution, as time is still very scarce. Also I will have absolutely no chance of finishing on time as Mike Butler caught wind of what I was doing and has asked if he can paint the figures as Anzacs. I haven't even converted the figures yet. We have two other projects in the pipeline before he'll paint these, so it will be ages before this one is complete!! I'll try to get as much done as I can for Euro Expo in September.
Andy

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Andy - no doubt that your attention to details will ensure these are two more excellent trench sections.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy .
All looking very smart and well researched. I particularly liked the timber of course and the halving joint is neat indeed. Good to see you back even if not that often.
John .

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Andy do you mean Euro Miniaures Expo 2018. 22nd & 23rd September at Leas Cliff Hall, Folkstone, CT20 2DZ.

If so do you know which day or days you will be there, I'm going so I might bump into you so find a good place to hide or the teas are on you :smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:

Nice to see you back at the bench, another masterpiece coming up by the look of it :thumb2:

Pete.

First Name
Andrew
Hi Andy do you mean Euro Miniaures Expo 2018. 22nd & 23rd September at Leas Cliff Hall, Folkstone, CT20 2DZ.

If so do you know which day or days you will be there, I'm going so I might bump into you so find a good place to hide or the teas are on you :smiling3::smiling3::smiling3:

Nice to see you back at the bench, another masterpiece coming up by the look of it :thumb2:

Pete.
Yes Pete, That's the place. I'm trying to get permission from SWMBO to go both days, but will be there on Saturday. I will probably be based with Darren on the Tommy's War stand, so you should be able to track me down there. There are plans afoot to have my sections and diorama on display somewhere, but that's not finalised yet.
Andy

First Name
Andrew
I'm using one of Tommy's War's gun crew for my clay kicker. I'll convert his leg so that both are bent equally to accommodate his spade (which I've not yet made.) When I've sanded his bottom a little, he won't be bashing his head on the ceiling.

IMG_3266.JPG

I'll show you a series of photos showing how I created the end wall using curing car body filler.

This photo shows the area before I added any filler.

IMG_3317.JPG

The first layer was added wet to get the basic shape of the wall.

IMG_3318.JPG

I then added smaller area of filler to fill in the gap at the back corner.

IMG_3320.JPG

I then added small areas of curing filler. It goes crumbly as it cures and the catalyst starts to act. You only have a minute or two, so have to do it in small bits. (I've got a fuller explanation on my website).

IMG_3321.JPG

Notice how the latest area is darker pink because I added more catalyst.

IMG_3323.JPG

Lastly I put in some pieces of filler that I dug out of the front wall. I wanted to create an area where the spade had been working, so I stuck in a small chisel and gouged out an area while the filler was still soft. It gets harder after and hour or so. The pieces that were gouged out were then stuck on the floor with PVA as chunks of soil. I'll have a second guy lying on the floor collecting this loose soil.

IMG_3328.JPG

The crucifix chair sits between the support timbers, top and bottom. You'll see I've added the seat part.

IMG_3329.JPG

Here's how the figure sits on it.

IMG_3331.JPG

IMG_3332.JPG

Andy B

First Name
Andrew
Sorry Moderators I've realised that this shouldn't be in the Completed Dioramas section! It's obviously not finished yet!!

Reactions: JR

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Andy it's nice to see you back at the bench. The figure looks just right for the pose you are aimong for.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
real nice work,Andy,loving the detail,and good work on the figure

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
What can I say. Stunning modelling, superb research and a history lesson as well. Hope all is settling down a bit.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Wonderful work as always Andy. Great to see you posting again

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Brilliant work, and I've learnt a thing or to as well.

First Name
Andrew
Thank you guys. I'll try to post a bit more tomorrow.
Should I carry on posting here, even though its in the wrong section? It should be in the Dioramas Under Construction Section.
Andy

First Name
Andrew
Here's how far I've got with the explosive side of my mining sections. The ammonal was stored in Flimsies (former Petrol cans). I've made them before so worked out ways to make a lot of them. Rather than making individual ones I made a lot in rows and just stuck the aluminium foil over them, burnishing it around the foam blocks.
IMG_3019.JPGIMG_3020.JPGIMG_3022.JPG
IMG_3023.JPG
I've left the backs uncovered as no one will ever see it.
IMG_3024.JPG
I wanted to find a way to create lots of handles easily so made a jig from bits of styrene strip. Press the two halves together with a strip of pie foil in the middle and they just need cutting to length.
IMG_3260.JPG
IMG_3262.JPG
The spouts are just short lengths of styrene rod. I have quite a few to create and looking at photos of the real thing they didn't stack very well as the handles and spouts made them unstable. I'll try to recreate this on the upper levels. I'm only going to create a skirt of flimsies with a block in the middle.
IMG_3265.JPG
The pile of flimsies will sit here with sandbags being piled up at the end of the tunnel to force the explosion up rather than back down the tunnel. I'll have lots of wires coming from the cans towards the detonators too.
IMG_3270.JPG
Andy

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy.
Very neat idea, read a nice comment on You Tube earlier mentioning you work.
John.