Trench Sections in Progress.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fingers crossed Andy.
The model is.................... well ... well it's unbelievably brilliant.

John.

First Name
Andrew
Thanks again guys.
This is how not to do it. - ie. After you've made it! I didn't plan lights, but have found the interior sections dark, especially now they're boxed. Putting LEDs helped the British dugout so much, I now want them in the pillbox and the tunnels.
Andy

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Jaw dropping work as always Andy. I know its a way away at the moment but will you and some of your work be at Telford this year??

First Name
Andrew
Jaw dropping work as always Andy. I know its a way away at the moment but will you and some of your work be at Telford this year??
Thanks Steve. I'm afraid that I won't be at Telford this year. I will be displaying them at Euro - at least on Saturday (I'm negotiating with CinC (Home Div.) to go back on Sunday).
Andy

First Name
Andrew
Here's the LED on the platform next to the MG. I just mocked up where the figures and a few things will sit.
I'll make a lamp to sit on top of it.
IMG_3937.JPG

IMG_3941.JPG

I've added some mossy bits to the concrete. I stippled it on and then stabbed it with a pin after I'd looked at photos. The ironwork is still awaiting soe rust.
IMG_3939.JPG

I'm going to add rust to the angle irons and the ground will end up very soggy.
IMG_3942.JPG

The sandbags aren't painted yet.
IMG_3943.JPG

It all coming together gradually.
Andy

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Slowly but surely Andy. Stunning work. Nice to see the figures fit in. Excuse my ignorance but what is the square fried egg by the box please?

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy,
The great work continues, your attention to detail is stunning. Steve I think what you are referring to are the tiny LED's used for the lighting.

First Name
Andrew
Yes, Scottie is correct - it's an LED. It will have a lamp sitting on top of it. If you look back through this thread a little, you'll see I'm using strips of 3 LEDs, but hiding the first 2, with the end poking through. I'm using this method to keep the voltage the same as those that light up the boxes (and I have them spare at work). Simplest method for me. So the fried egg will disappear!
Andy

First Name
Andrew
I plucked up the courage to rip one of my tunnels apart to redo it. I'd guestimated that they were about 4ft high from the scetches I found. Then I tried to add a kneeling figure and realised that you need 5ft for a kneeling figure - DOH!! So, I scraped off all the timbers and Dremmeled the top and bottom off. I then replaced the floor and ceiling so that I could make the height 5ft and still have a small space for labels above and below.
I still have to repeat this on the clay kicking tunnel but wanted to clad this one with Balsa before I went too far backwards! This one is almost back to how it was, but I have to raise the height of the sandbags to block the explosion and put some Polyfilla between the timbers for soil.

The clay kicking tunnel is still to be ripped apart to enlarge but the mine version has been Dremmeled above and below to raise the roof, so a kneeling figure will fit in.
Here I was cutting strips of Balsa for the timber supports.
IMG_3946.JPG

This shows how a kneeling figure will not fit in a 4ft tunnel!
IMG_3948.JPG

I've marked where the timbers will go back in and prepared some roof timbers and side walls.
IMG_3950.JPG

Ceiling and walls are now reclad.
IMG_3951.JPG

Floor timbers are also in place. Now I need to raise the height of the sandbag 'tamping'.
IMG_3952.JPG

IMG_3953.JPG

I've not been very active recently due to work pressure, which has now quietened. My PC is also failing, so I may be absent or only on here occasionally.
Andy

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Nice to see you back, Andy. If it's not right and you know it,it will eat away at you. Better to do it now. Personally I would never have questioned it coming from such a diligent researcher as yourself. I bet there were tunnels of all sizes. sometimes they must have made mistakes, but I guess that doesn't fit with your educational approach!
Always a pleasure to see what are up to, keep em coming :thumb2:
Neil

First Name
Andrew
I cracked apart the second half of my tunnels for enlargement.
IMG_3954.JPG

I Dremmeled the front edges about 5mm larger top and bottom.
IMG_3955.JPG

I filled the gap with styrene and reconstructed the sides.
IMG_3956.JPG

I then replaced the timbers and made a new 'crucifix' chair.
IMG_3958.JPG

My figure has a bit more space now. I've now put 'soil' between the timbers and patched the front wall top and bottom.
IMG_3965.JPG

My PC is on the blink and I started to post this yesterday. The PC turned itself off and I thought I'd lost all the work, but it was still here waiting for me today hooray!
I'll take some photos of what it looks like now.

First Name
Andrew
IMG_1177.JPG

IMG_1178.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

For those who haven't read the Euro thread. I was displaying my sections at Euro on Saturday. As I carried them down the front steps, I missed the bottom step and fell. I was carrying hundreds of hours of work!!!! Somehow the models survived virtually intact but I sprained my right ankle. That was extreemly painful all day and I couldn't move around much. I then had to get home. Nigel Rayner helped me carry models back to my car but I had a 80 min journey using the accelarater with the bad foot. By the time I got home my foot looked like this.
IMG_1183.JPG

My wife took me to A&E and eventually got Xrays. I have a suspected fracture, definate sprain and have to wear a support boot for at least 2 weeks until it is reassesed. I can't work and I can't drive. So I'm getting on with my book when I can.
Andy

WP_20190513_09_59_53_Pro.jpg

This was it yesterday. Less swollen but more colourful!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andy, Glad to hear the builds survived and even more importantly that you did yourself no serious damage. A great excuse to take it easy and get some bench/book time.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Andy,glad to hear the models survived intact- you can always grow another foot, eh? ......and it means you get to do more here- Win win I'd say :thumb2: ;)

Steve Jones

First Name
Steve
Hope the ankle is getting better. Modelling is awesome as always

First Name
Andrew
Hope the ankle is getting better. Modelling is awesome as always
Thanks Steve. My PC is on the way out & I’m waiting for a new one, which is why I’m absent from here.
My ankle has been pretty awful but is easier now. Everything is an effort - Like, do I really want to go to the loo (upstairs)?
But my book is coming on leaps and bounds. I’m forced to sit with my feet up and it’s something constructive that I can do.
As I’m writing my new laptop has arrived so I may be on here more soon?

First Name
Andrew
My usual apologies for not being very active here. Life is busy. I've been working on a project for Mike butler which I can't show you but I have made him some spades. I made a few for myself while I was at it and got around to making the grafting spade for my clay kicker. So a tiny bit of progress for my sections. I have some work for Tommy's War which I won't be able to show either but I'll be back on the sections when I can.
Andy
WP_20190703_14_20_18_Pro.jpg
I split the microstip in half to create the handles and then bent it gently before gluing the handles on. I blended the handles into the heads with Magicsculpt.

WP_20190703_14_20_57_Pro.jpg