Trench Sections in Progress.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Just back from seeing 1917. I didn’t get my hopes up too much so wasn’t disappointed. I was expecting the historical inaccuracies of our post modern, PC world and tried to ignore them.
You get the confusion of going through trenches. Although some are quite wide or deep they are constructed well. The old battle zone is cleared of all vegetation as usual. Weeds grow very quickly, as any gardener knows.
The continual camera shots are very clever and it’s well worth going to see.
Andy,
Thanks for the mini review on the film, I was wondering what it was like.
Still amazed at your workmanship, stunning.
Mike.

First Name
Andrew
This is a Daily Mail postcard from WW1. This is a captured German trench, which has obviously gone through bombardment to be captured. There is plenty of vegetation around. There are plenty of other images like this that don't give us the world of grey and brown.
Andy
(Image for discussion purposes only.)
s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• RL-Postcard-Daily-Mail-War-Pictures-WW1-Captured.jpg
    RL-Postcard-Daily-Mail-War-Pictures-WW1-Captured.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 11
First Name
Andrew
I found out from my daughter that the pliers that I have converted to bend or crimp spines along laser-cut leaves are called Thwaites nail clippers. Mine have a flat side and a cutting side whereas most on searches seem to have two cutting edges. You can get them from about £5, so they’re not expensive. I just glued a piece of half tube to one side so that the paper is bent into the trough.

Reactions: JR
First Name
Andrew
I'm finally doing some figure painting again. I leave it so long, I have to relearn but I'm enjoying it. My 'Impressionist style' will never be up to the standards of my friends Mike Butler or Adrian Bay but looks good enough for the naked eye. I am against the clock at work making models commercially and find it difficult to slow down. But I'm learning to do 'one job well' and reaping the benefits of patience. God has become more real to me than ever, helping me to sort out my damaged self-esteem. I'm no weirder than I was before, just working more efficiently and very much more joyful. I've had a good patch of freedom from pain, but the sorrow has led me to the greater joy. (What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!)

Anyway here's my German so far. Face not painted yet as I wanted to relearn a bit before tackling it. I've also decided to put a smattering of snow on this base.

DSCN0190.JPG

The snow idea was inspired by my work friend's model. The diorama here is by Craige Hedgecock.
2_o (2)-001.jpg
Some of you will have seen his work on Facebook.

Andy

D

Deleted member 7237

Top work on the snow my friend, off to put my coat on feeling a bit chilly.
Pete.

• Haha
Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
That's a nice change to a common theme. You always seem to see the trenches depicted in a foot of water. Wonderful work as always Andy

First Name
Andrew
Another update. My German is nearly done but still has work to be done, especially to his face. My friend Craig got some Mig mud paint so I had a fiddle with my German bunker, creating some muddy footprints. After creating 'walls' of the mud paint I filled them with coloured glaze medium. I also created a Christmas tree for my German. There's also a photo of the front wall of the bunker with its vegetation and you may notice that the bunker has a name now.

DSCN0214.JPGDSCN0217.JPGDSCN0221.JPGDSCN0226.JPGDSCN0228.JPG

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy

outstanding vignette. This collection continues to improve with age.

John

First Name
Andrew
THANKS Guys!

Has anyone seen these sandbags? They're a bit small for 1:32 which should be about 20mm long. These are about 15mm long, so suitable for 1:35. They're like tea bags, which you soak in watered down PVA to harden them. Great for you 1:35 scale fans anyway!
Andy

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Your trench German does in fact look as though he is feeling the weather. Well done Andy.
Rick H.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great snow. Never had the guts myself. PaulE