Trench Sections in Progress.

First Name
Andrew
Well this thread is getting views because it’s hit the 2k count. I’m on holiday at the moment so no progress with the models but I’ll return rested to finish that German at the end of the week.
Andy

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Thats so nice Andy. I really do like the relaxed poses of the figures. A really nice update. Great stuff

First Name
Andrew
My German is finally in his cold home with his Tannenbaum.

DSCN0373.JPG
Here's his back before he went in.
DSCN0369.JPG
I've continued to work on the groundwork of my bunker.
DSCN0389.JPG
Muddy footprint puddles leading in.
DSCN0390.JPG
The front with its camouflage.
DSCN0392.JPG
I've got an internal LED which will have a lamp sitting on it.
DSCN0394.JPG
While I was working with mud, I did some extra work on my Frenchman's puddles.
DSCN0383.JPG

Andy

First Name
Andrew
Fantastic work Andy and all beautifully painted. Love the backgrounds too.
Thanks Peter.
(Work gave me a migraine yesterday - after vomiting I had to drive home for just over an hour - all pretty unpleasant! I hope that you've been OK recently?)

I Googled 'no man's land' and found a few bits of artwork which I have pinched sections of to finish off the boxed settings.
Andy

D

Deleted member 6559

Sorry to hear about the migraine Andy. Fortunately, I haven't had one for ages, but they do always seem to occur when your miles from home. Hope you're OK now. My latest is a bout of sinusitis - headaches, dizziness, loss of energy etc, etc.

I hope the lack of replies hasn't made you feel unwanted. As you say, lots of views, but it is nice to receive a written thumb's-up occasionally. I personally will try harder.

First Name
Andrew
Thanks Peter.
Sinusitis is horrible, poor you. Get well my friend.

I try not to let the number of replies bother me. I used to be addicted to affirmation, but realising it have prayed it through and try to rest in the fact that God loves me, whatever I do or don't do. That's my way of sorting it. I'm not a very frequent poster, so I can't expect others to do what I don't do myself!! I rest in the basic fact that I make models for my own pleasure. When others express their pleasure about my models is a bonus and not the reason why I do it. Comparison kills joy, so I avoid competing. I am what I am. Not the best, not the worst - just Andy!

Keep up your excellent work Peter, which brings me frequent pleasure, as I hope it still does you!
Andy

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Andy,

More absolutely Phenomenal work Sir. I am sorry to hear of your migraine and I hope you are doing much better now. I have been following your work since you began with WWI and 1/285th. I too don't comment much as I can't keep up with everything on here overall.

Your mud and gardening skills are just fantastic and look so real!!! Keep going and take care my friend.

Prost
Allen

First Name
Andrew
Hi there. I like many I am having to self-isolate and unable to work. I have my time to work on my models, so have been dabbling when tasks around the house and garden are done.
I did a little more work on the muddy footprints outside the bunker.

DSCN0409.JPG

You may notice that this model now has labels on the front. I've painted the ammo boxes for the MG08/15 and made a lamp to sit over the LED to light the interior a little.
I getting frustrated as usual trying to paint figures but I have started.
DSCN0421.JPG

DSCN0423.JPG
DSCN0420.JPG
My tunnels have moved on. The 4 figures are chopped about to get them into poses that suit their tasks. Notice that there are candles on the back wall. This is them unlit. I made a small trolley for carrying back the filled sandbags full of clay from the front wall. I was able to cut in acrylic spoked wheels on a laser cutter, from a drawing I produced. They are only 8mm diameter, so it was the easiest way for me to produce them. Hubs and rims were added in styrene, as were the rails that it runs on.
DSCN0411.JPG

This shows it with the LEDs lit. There are holes through the wood behind the candles. This one too has labels. (I prioritised jobs before work closed down for the foreseeable future.)
DSCN0417.JPG

I've painted my cans full of ammonal explosive. Detonator cables lead back up the tunnel through the sandbag walls being put in place. (The handles and spouts of 'flimsies' meant that they didn't stack well. If you put boards between then they could stand level.)
DSCN0416.JPG
DSCN0414.JPG
Slow but steady progress, but an end in sight. Just my figure-painting phobia to conquer! (Plus Mike in New Zealand has 4 of my figures and that seems a very long way away in the present climate!)
It's only a group of models and there are plenty more important issues to solve presently. I am very thankful to live in the UK during these uncertain days. This is a good distraction from what's going on.
Take care and be well my friends.
Andy

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Another wonderful update Andy. The six sections photo is sublime. I expect you have seen the ANZAC film about the famous big crater that was created from the explosion of all the underground explosives. What struck me was the amount of water seeping in that they had to deal with. Will there be any water in your model??

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Excellent lighting results Andy! Would you mind telling me the source, size, and voltage of your candle LED lights. I'm looking for some mini lighting for a vehicle interior.
Thanks, Rick H.

First Name
Andrew
Another wonderful update Andy. The six sections photo is sublime. I expect you have seen the ANZAC film about the famous big crater that was created from the explosion of all the underground explosives. What struck me was the amount of water seeping in that they had to deal with. Will there be any water in your model??
Thanks Steve. I'm not sure about water in the tunnel but I have put a suction hose in the upper tunnel section. It's on the floor, at the back, behind the figures and trolley.

First Name
Andrew
Excellent lighting results Andy! Would you mind telling me the source, size, and voltage of your candle LED lights. I'm looking for some mini lighting for a vehicle interior.
Thanks, Rick H.
Thanks Rick. Sorry, It's all cheating. I've made styrene rod candles with translucent paper flames. The bulbs are hiding in the wall behind. I drilled a small hole through the walls and then Dremmeled out behind to accommodate a large bulb hidden behind. the wood glows with the bulb but lights up the candles. I considered fibre optic but didn't think it would give enough light. All my internal bulbs are just large LEDs behind the lamps.
If you go to Page two of this thread then you'll see them. https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/trench-sections-in-progress.31879/page-2 I chose this 12 volt strip lighting because each of the boxes is lit from their top by a strip of Cold/Daylight LEDs. I've used Warm LED bulbs for the interiors. I just wanted the whole lot to link up to the same power source. I have male and female plugs on the back of each section, so they can plug into each other and be lit by one transformer.
Andy