Trench Sections in Progress.

First Name
Andrew
I have 5 section models uncompleted and plan to blog them here from now on.

My dugout has figures to paint and LED lights to fit behind model lamps.
781670[1].jpg

781671[1].jpg

The figures on my reversed trench are again awaiting paint.
781672[1].jpg

I have a tunnelling and mining section in progress. I've been working on this most recently.
IMG_3691.JPG

I have a German Pillbox in progress. It has basic paint on the soil and nowhere else yet.
IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0272.JPG

I'll carry on blogging about the tunnelling sections here now.
Andy

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
fantastic work,on this,Andrew ,
real like your figures were did you find them,

First Name
Andrew
I've been making a sandbag wall for my tunnel as 'tamping'. This blocks the passage so that the explosion goes up rather than back down the tunnel. Being in comercial modelmaking for over 30 years means I usually cut corners when I can. I made a rubber mould and have cast some copies which I chopped around to suit my needs. I'll add a few sculpted bags where a figure will be adding more to the wall.

IMG_3690.JPG

I have two castings glued together and then filled with car body filler. There's on custom sculpted bag so far.
IMG_3698.JPG

Here's my rubber mould.
IMG_3700.JPG

Tamping in place.
IMG_3703.JPG

I'll leave them loose until they're painted.
IMG_3704.JPG

My flimmies are petrol cans now filled with Ammonal explosive. I've built then as a block rather than making individual cans.
You can find be blogging their construction here
https://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/trench-sections-in-1-32-scale.30310/page-4
IMG_3705.JPG

Andy

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Fascinating historical detail, very well modelled. The 'clay kicking' digging technique doesn't look very efficient though. How common was it?

Pete

First Name
Andrew
It was done as efficiently as possible. The digging had to be done very quietly, as the enemy were listening for any noise. The dug soil would hopefully drop gently into a sandbag held below. The crucifix chair could move forward as new rows of roof supports were put in place. They dug miles of tunnels in Flanders this way. A slow, scary business!!
Andy

Reactions: JR

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yes, I'd have thought it would be quieter to scrape the soil away with a trowel or similar, instead of kicking it.
Pete

First Name
Andrew
While I was making rubber moulds I cast a rat that I made a long time ago. If you poke it out of the mould before its fully hardened you can bend the tail into different positions. I made the original rat in Magicsculpt. He's the grey one of course. (Sorry for the blurred photo!) These ones are a bit smaller than the whopper who lived with my shellhole section.
Andy

IMG_3701.JPG

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Stunning work Andrew. I am glad you are in a position to blog again. Your last ones on MM were an incredible success. Thanks for sharing your work with us.

First Name
Andrew
Sorry for my absence recently. I was at a Christian conference last week and am presently having discussions with a publisher about a book! (It won't be about embroidery!) But I will continue to post here, where my online family is, when I have time. So watch this space!
My mines have had a setback. I realised that the tunnels need to be at least 5ft tall to kneel in them. Mine are 4ft, so I'm going to have to get the Dremmel out!! It can be done but all the balsa has to come off! I plan 2 figures to be kneeling and there will be a fourth lying next to the clay kicker. Total of 4 figures. 3 in the top tunnel and one laying bags behind the mine below.
Andy

Last edited:
First Name
Andrew
I will be back blogging here in the near future. This week has been very busy, negotiating with a publisher. I've been advised to remove the tutorials on my website. Sorry! If you need to know something, then PM me or contact me via the email on the website. You are my online family and I'm happy to help. Buy the book if you want, but that's your choice.
Now I'm going to try to put LEDs in my dugout and I'll blog it here. When I find some time!
Andy

Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Always a treat to hear your "voice" & view your work. Publishers can be a necessary PITA. PaulE

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
I have always admired and enjoyed your work so pleased to see more here. Great skills but also I've learned a lot about WW1 trenches.
Jim

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Andy,
Great to see more of your work, not to worry about the tutorials, just tell us when to book is out - and the title of course, got two sheep and a goat ready as payment.
Cheers, Mike.