Triumph 3HW. Italeri, 1/9

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hello Remember me...? Seems like an eternity since I actually posted a build on here and not just check that all is well and make the odd comment here and there.
I mentioned in my last post on here somewhere that I was 'upto something' I think it was Daves (?) thread about the lack of Mo Jo. Anyway, enough waffle.
I saw this kit a while ago and it has been sitting with all the others until a while back when it started to rain. Torrential rain that is. Not wishing to get drowned in the garden, I took refuge in the man cave and my eye caught the box.
To cut a very long and boring story short I was all out of Green paint! (well one that could work). I did however have a draw full of Alclad II that has been gravely overlooked.
The result of which is this:
DSC_1380.JPG

DSC_1381.JPG

DSC_1382.JPG

DSC_1383.JPG

DSC_1384.JPG

DSC_1385.JPG

No pictures of the build I am sorry to say.
I re-built the wheels with 0,5 wire which was fun as it was a first for me. This explains the rather messy rims. I know for next time what not to do!
The kit went together quite well apart from a huge amount of clean up of mould joins and seams! The worst was the petrol tank. I had to paint it FOUR times. Once due to dropping it as I put it to dry. Naturally it landed top down. The second time due to a finger print, again right on the top. The third time..... Tamiya extra thin which I used to glue the petrol cap on with is an excellent remover of Alclad II ! The final time all went well and it was given three very thin coat of acrylic varnish each with a day between to harden off. Bugger me if when putting all the bits together, I put a finger print on the top. Luck was on my side and I was able to wash it off with and a cotton bud! Phew.
The paint process. All primed with Aclad black primer, All except the cylinder block and crank case was given four coats of Gloss black base.
Wheels, handlebars and a few other bits got bright chrome, all the covers got Airframe aluminium. the petrol tank polished steel (i think) and the petrol tap light gold.

The first bike I have done in about 20 years. I cant imagine that there will go quite as long until the next one..... Have an eye open for the Harley.....

Hope you like it and comments are welcome.

D

Deleted member 4539

This is a beauty Ian :smiling3:.
All the hard work has really paid off.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ian
That is an excellent result. Wheels are much improved. I think this kit dates back to the 70s so this shows just what can be acheived from a geriatric kit with skill and patience.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Really nice cafe racer there :thumb2: Great finish as well....especially like the exhaust blueing, looks real.....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That's a real beauty Ian, and yes, that blueing is spot on.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That looks absolutely real. Such great detail all over, but that exhaust, really caught my eye.

D

Deleted member 7181

Amazing work. If those pictures weren't on a modelling forum I'd swear it was a well restored example of the real thing.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks for all the kind words. It is now the second model that has been given the thumbs up by SWMBO and is in the cabinet in the dining room!

Think I might have to get me another one!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
That looks amazing Ian , totally photo realistic . The metal effects are superb , as ron says the blueing of the exhaust is perfect. Is this a conversion of a military bike? I ask because i know ESCI did a few military bikes in 1/9 years ago and its a bit of a strange scale , arent bikes usually 1/12 or 1/6!? Either way i love it , its a beautifully built and presented work of art , no wonder swmbo likes it . Dont make us wait so long for the next one ! Cheers tony

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers tony.
It's the Italeri 1/9 scale Triumph 3hw. So yes it was a military one.