Triumph Tiger 80 1:9 Italeri conversion

First Name
Peter
Hi,

Long time ago I got partly assempled Italeri kit of Triumph 3HW. I wanted to make it different than all the rest of Triumphs I've seen so far. Initially I was looking for some unusual paint scheme, but later I decided to convert the kit into a civilian bike. It was difficult due to fact, that had to separate assembled parts.

This is the aim of my build:

1.jpg

In many cases the separated bits were useless and I had to scratch build new ones like the head light glass and cover. 

3.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Great effort on the refurbed and new components!

First Name
Peter
Hi Snowman!

Thanks for your kind words. To be honest it is the first and last time I decided to refurbish somebody's model. It was glued with plastic melting glue and I had to literally break bits apart. And putting it back together without locating pins was very stressful.

Anyway heres som more pictures of this masterpiece of motorisation.

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

I still can't paint black gloss properly, so what you see below are several attempts:

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

First Name
Gwyn
Well done Peter that is looking good, especially after taking on a part built kit. I love the colour I can remember a lot of Triumph bikes in that colour (from a long time ago).

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks good Peter, awesome job on the new headlamp.

First Name
Peter
Thank you guys,

I'm sure of one thing - this build was worth the effort. Although there were some stressful moments, I could learn a lot about this awesome motorcycle. I compared it to some Polish make built 20 years later during "communistic occupation" and it is simply out of league.

Here is some more pictures - this time gloss black looks a bit better.

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

First Name
Peter
Hi,

I never liked plastic spokes so I made new ones from a guitar string.

54.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

I also etched the Triumph logo so it looks a bit more realistic thean the decal.

55.jpg

56.jpg

I started making a display base. I want it to be symbolically connected with the motorbike itself. Wonder who will guess first what is it going to be:

P1.jpg

First Name
Peter
Hi Gwyn!

Thank you for your kind words. The spokes look effective but someone on other forum has found a serious error :/  . I drilled holes in the rim following the radius of the rim and bent each spoke to fit the rim. You can see that each spoke contacts the rim by 90 degree where the spokes should have been straight from hub right to the end. I will rememeber about this in my next 1/9 project  B|

Anyway here are some more pictures of the base gadget:

P2.jpg

P3.jpg

P4.jpg

P5.jpg

P6.jpg

P7.jpg

P8.jpg

P9.jpg

P10.jpg

P11.jpg

T

tommy1drop

Truly amazing work and details Peter, cracking work on those wheel spokes, and I really do like the post box, looking forward to the next update.

First Name
Peter
Hi Tommy!

Thanks for your kind words. I want to chain up this bike to the mailbox. I'm quite sure none Englishman would ever do it, but if I had one I wouldn't want to loose it and use all possible means to keep it safe  ;)  Plus there might be some symbollic meaning hidden between the lines. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Oh man, this is a master class build! The post box alone.....wow, words fail me. B| B|

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I've just seen this one Peter, and may I say you've put in some fantastic work on this one to build a truly stunning motorcycle. I can't wait to see it next to the post box on the finished base. Top work.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
stunning work Peter,I,m lost for words with all the added detailing your done,truly amazing ,the bike looks fantastic,

and the work on the mailbox as well,how you got the coat of arms for it,real great work, :D

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Amazing job on the bike. Love the post box, can't wait to see a photo or two of them together.