Trolleybus kits, advice sought.

First Name
Tony
Hi, I have a liking to build a trolleybus preferably from a kit. Looking on ebay and the internet, there isn't much choice (other than ready built die-cast), which is understandable as it's not a common subject these days. Does anyone know of any kits around OO/HO scale size? I have found Russian white metal kits on ebay at O gauge size, which is too large and the old Pirate models white metal kits.
Thanks for reading,
Tony

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Tony.
MiniArt do a trolley bus or tram in 1/35 that's about as near as it goes.

1578674247198.png

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
there is some in that scale but cant the life of me remember what the make, i can remember doing a steam engine years ago

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Reactions: JR

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Hi, give this a try might be ok, scale is 1/24, have made Occre models before and I think there good, got a locomotive in my stash at the moment.

First Name
Noel
There is a Spanish company named OCCRE who make a series of tram kits in 1/24th scale. Not plastic. Wood and white metal in the main.

First Name
Noel
Forgot to mention that I am interested in building a Sunbeam S7 as used by Reading Corporation Transport. I used to travel on them regularly as a lad until they were taken out of service in1963.
I got a complete set of makers plans to work to a number of years ago from an enthusiast who preserved one. Maybe the Revell Routemaster might be able to be adapted. Would need at least 2 kits plus a lot of scratchbuilding work to adapt one. Depends on the side window sizes being similar otherwise it would need to be a complete scratch build.

First Name
Tony
Noel, I like the British Pathe youtube film about the Reading trolleybuses, I guess you will have seen it before. The model one later in the clip looks great fun.

First Name
Noel
Hi Tony. Interesting bit of footage that I had not seen before. Thanks for sharing. The bus featured is a different type to the one I have the plans for. Used to travel on that type as well. The trolley bus museum at Sandford has some ex Reading Corporation buses including the last one to run in 1963 when the service closed.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I used to be fascinated by trolleybuses as a lad when I saw them in Bournemouth. They were so quiet. Never traveled in one though.....

First Name
Tony
Tim, just had a look at the Sandtoft Museum's website, which Noel advised of, and thy have three Bournemouth ones. Only the other week a friend sent a photograph of one of the Manchester trolleys he used to travel to work on, said it was a thick fog upstairs due to the cigarette smoke! Manchester was of course a heavily industrialised area back then.

If I ever get to visit the museum, the Manchester one would be of interest. There is also another Manc survivor on static exhibit at the currently closed Manchester Museum of Transport.

https://www.sandtoft.org.uk/vehicles

First Name
Rich
First post, so here goes

I'm currently putting a Berlin Tram from Occre together.
Nicely detailed kit, but very involved with lots of cutting and even some staining too.
Nice metal parts too, already put a fair few hours in and plenty more required

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
First post, so here goes

I'm currently putting a Berlin Tram from Occre together.
Nicely detailed kit, but very involved with lots of cutting and even some staining too.
Nice metal parts too, already put a fair few hours in and plenty more required
Welcome Rich , hope you will do a thread on it .

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David