Tropical Groundwork Scene

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Rick. I hope it replicates the terrain in my country.

The house reference by the way is from a picture I took of a delapitated house in the middle of an up coming development soon to be pulled down.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I hope so too.......you have to "live" with it, after all. ;) Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Dug up the picture of that house...

rr0030.jpg

It was still in business when I took the photo...that sign saying"Lori Sewa" meaning Lorry for Hire. It's now gone and in its place is a hi-rise condominium. It sat along the Old Klang Road just a few hundred yards away to the T-junction to Jalan Templer...the first main road for the satelite town of Petaling Jaya named after Sir Gerald Templer the British High Commissioner who took over from Sir Henry Gurney after his assassination in the ambush at Frasers Hill. Sir Gerald Templers campaign of resettling villages closer to the city was instrumental in curbing the Communist threat. These little settlements grew into the satellite towns like Petaling Jaya.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nice indeed. Well done.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
It's a good thing you captured it on film (film?...does anybody use it anymore?) when you did.......and the flavor of its existence lives on in you diorama. :thumb2: Rick H.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks for the kind comments John, Andrew, Gerry and Rick...

With film and history together we get to see a glimpse of the past. That house must have stood since pre war days. If you look closely you'll see it's being propped up on the sides by timber. In front is a modern version of the Honda Cub C90. If the shop owner owned the piece of land, he'd be a millionaire now.

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Thanks for the kind comments John, Andrew, Gerry and Rick...

With film and history together we get to see a glimpse of the past. That house must have stood since pre war days. If you look closely you'll see it's being propped up on the sides by timber. In front is a modern version of the Honda Cub C90. If the shop owner owned the piece of land, he'd be a millionaire now.

Cheers,
Richard
Thought that the timbers were part of the house :tongue-out3:
The old C series of Hondas, a true classic bike:thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thought that the timbers were part of the house :tongue-out3:
The old C series of Hondas, a true classic bike:thumb2:
Gerry, the one I built was scratch built before the DioPark kit came out...have you seen that post?

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Gerry, the one I built was scratch built before the DioPark kit came out...have you seen that post?

Cheers,
Richard
Richard, no I haven't yet - still slowly going through the forum while either waiting for bits to dry, or having a coffee, so probably will come across it soon!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Meanwhile, here's the banana tree...lucky for me reference was just round the corner and took some pictures.

rr0234.jpg

The original comes flat and in a single green colour. After some pulling and twisting I got the shape that I wanted.

rr0222.jpg

Then I mixed different shades of green and painted the ribbing you see on banana leaves.

rr0223.jpg

The stem or trunk looked too clean. The ones I've seen usually are still wrapped in the layers of old bark/leaves. If you chop the trunk you'll see that it resembles a sliced onion and not a hardwood center. To do the dried peeled leaves I nicked some of my SWMBO's plant bits.

rr0225.jpg

I picked suitable pieces and glued in layers with Uhu.

rr0226.jpg

This looking more like it and I sealed it with varnish.

rr0227.jpgrr0228.jpg

More later...

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Watching this come together and reading how you did it is really interesting. I do like the different levels. Paper plants are a new one on me although I know you have used it to make palms. The banana tree looks great.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, paper plants are now one of the go to's when adding foliage like creepers, sunflowers and corn. The palm fronds though need scaling up in size that's why I made my own.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard, had a good read through. Like the details and your research into the groundwork and building. First class detail on diorama construction .:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks John, very kind of you. Glad it was a good read for you.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Interesting idea for a diorama Richard, something very much part of your country, the vehicles are something once common around the world, a Series Land Rover & a Honda 'clonk'. :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Interesting idea for a diorama Richard, something very much part of your country, the vehicles are something once common around the world, a Series Land Rover & a Honda 'clonk'. :thumb2:
Thanks Graeme...interesting way to call a Honda Cub a "clonk" :tears-of-joy:

Amazing work Richard :thumb2:
Very nice!
Steven
Thanks Steven, glad you like it.

Love it Richard....bloody love it :blow-kiss-2:
Much obliged Si...had a bloody good time doing it. :smiling2:

Actually I didn't need to go far...this is just in front of my house.

rr0235.jpgrr0229.jpg

I noticed that some of the leaves yellowed and had brown flecks so I painted those on.

rr0230.jpgrr0231.jpgrr0232.jpgrr0233.jpg

And that's about all I did for the banana tree except I plan to add a bunch of unripe green bananas later...perhaps it's about time to do so since I managed with Dates.

Cheers,
Richard