Tropical Groundwork Scene

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What filler is that please Richard, I recently used some white Miliiput and it took ages to go hard.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard
Superb work on the figures.
Jim
Thanks, they were fun to make.

What filler is that please Richard, I recently used some white Miliiput and it took ages to go hard.
Me too ...
Basic local two part putty mixed in equal proportions and has half an hour working time then it starts to harden. Treat it as a filler and have bothe the parts secured with glue before adding. It only bonds and strengthens the joint when hard and not before that.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks, they were fun to make.

Basic local two part putty mixed in equal proportions and has half an hour working time then it starts to harden. Treat it as a filler and have bothe the parts secured with glue before adding. It only bonds and strengthens the joint when hard and not before that.

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard.
I've got some Vallejo as well, seems to sand away with out much pressure, but prefer the two part Milliput.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Richard.
I've got some Vallejo as well, seems to sand away with out much pressure, but prefer the two part Milliput.
John, resin putty has a much better adhesive hold than acrylic and it doesn't shrink. The Vallejo putty is best used as a wipe on in thin layers and left to cure with no sanding needed.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
John, resin putty has a much better adhesive hold than acrylic and it doesn't shrink. The Vallejo putty is best used as a wipe on in thin layers and left to cure with no sanding needed.

Cheers,
Richard
Thank you for that, no wonder I had lumps falling off as soon as I touched them with sanding stick when using that Vallejo :thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
Now these are the set of figures that would be around the stall...the shopkeeper, his wife, the Indian sergeant and Leftenant.

rr0190.jpg

Pay attention to the guy on the left. I have removed most of his equipment and upper blouse and shaped his body...at his feet is his new head.

rr0191.jpg

I wanted him in shorts, the black baggy gathered at the waist with a drawstring or belt. So I removed much of his pants from just above the knee and sculpted his calves, ankles and feet.

rr0192.jpg

Slowly thinning his limbs by shaving and scraping with a blade.

rr0193.jpgrr0194.jpg

Remember these...?

rr0195.jpg

I flattened the base of his feet and gave it a bit of a tilt....

rr0196.jpg

...so he can have these on. The strap in this case was made from foil so it could be formed in shape to his feet and toes after I had glued the clog base.

rr0197.jpgrr0198.jpg

The slight lift was necessary as he had to look over his displayed fruits.

rr0199.jpg

more later...

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you Scottie, Neil and Andrew, you're most kind towards my amateurish modifications.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
A Chinese stall fruit seller doesn't look like one unless he wears a Pagoda singlet. So I carved him one, added the arms and made some minor adjustments to the wrist and carved away the sleeves.

rr0201.jpg

I think I may have left his arms too muscular. The melons in the background were made from rolled putty with copper wire for stems and painted with two shades of green.

rr0202.jpg

In real life some stalls had a platform behind the table to stand on which was not needed here 'cos he's wearing clogs.

rr0203.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Graeme, just saw you going through the posts. Glad you caught up.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
The modification to the figures is excellent. The altering of the stall holder is very skilled and very successful.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, on looking at him now I realised I had taken off all his clothing and left him in his undies and shorts. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Now for the soldier getting friendly with the doggies, he's an Indian sergeant. To get him to look like one didn't stop at adding darker pigments to his skin...I gave him curly hair using putty.

rr0204.jpg

The SLR from Italeri really looks like it...

rr0205.jpgrr0206.jpg

The curly hair...I was tempted to do a grease slick hair style ala Elvis...:smiling6:

rr0220.jpg

The extra putty was put to good use in adding the missing webbing at the back and loose blouse after the waist.

rr0221.jpg

The shop keepers wife or daughter just needed her arms repositioned.

rr0207.jpgrr0208.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Richard,
This is coming on a treat: just a point you might want to consider - the carrying handle on an SLR is almost invariably in the folded position unless the weapon is being carried at the trail, otherwise the handle can obstruct the sight picture! The SLR is a beautiful representation, I hope you don't think I'm criticising for criticism's sake!
Steve