Trumpeter 1/32 Dauntless

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Coming to the end of this one.

Varnish coats and washes, including some grime streaks, finished and I am working on the underside final fittings, not quite finished yet as I need to apply some gloss to some details.
IMG_3192.jpgIMG_3194.jpg
Note the 'air holes' in the dive brakes. I wanted to get the impression of the red painted insides on the main outer sections (it was natural metal on the centre panel). So I used a small fine brush to go around each 'hole' with red paint. It was a bit random with the red, not trying to to be uniform or neat about it, just getting that look of two plates closed up and a 'hint' of red. You can see what I mean to the right. As you look at the model from different angles you get just that hint of the red. It adds some interest to the model. The kit itself has the dive brakes/flaps open as standard and on my other Dauntless I found the pose too unrealistic, with the photos of the actual aircraft showing these closed, it was easy enough to leave some parts out and cement them in that way.

The streaks are AKI washes and I also used AKI dark earth pigment for some dust and wheel well grime. Uschi Metal Powder applied with a toothpick for the chips and wear, in places an extra small Tammy cotton bud was used and a bit of dry brushing of this in other places.

Tonight I will start on the final fittings topside once the gloss bits are done underneath. Two of three more sessions and I will post a completed build.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Sweet build!:thumb2:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Final fittings to the bottom are done and I have progressed the final fittings on the top. One more session to fit the rest of the canopy and the aerial wires along with a few final touches and that will be it. I will post a completed build in a day or two.
IMG_3198.jpg
IMG_3201.jpg
IMG_3202.jpg
IMG_3203.jpg

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
That is looking really nice Barry, really really nice work