Trumpeter 1/32 F14B Tomcat ‘bomb-cat’

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Every time I read about your problems with them splintering, I keep wondering what could be the cause of that. Though I don’t think I’ve made a Tamiya kit with decals as big as these, I also don’t think I ever had any splinter except because I tried to get them from the paper too soon. My experience with Tamiya decals over the past thirty years or so (admittedly, I’ve not built many Tamiya kits in recent years) has been that most take a looooooong time to soak off, and of course they can tear if you try to move them when a little bit is still stuck to the paper. In other words, are you sure they’re completely loose when you apply them?

Could be I’m on completely the wrong track here, of course.

WELL this is my 5 pence worth Jakko regards these decals as I will sometime in the furture have to fit some like barry has as ive the same kits but regards these decals splitting its some thing they do as on my K/H JAG kit the decals looked brilliant on the sheet but when I came to soak the decals in water they just floated off the backin paper an then precced to fall to bits I could not belive it but that happened a lot as I first thought id left them in too long so then I treid a bit shorter time an still dint make any difference I don't think the manufactures are makin them strong enough but that my opinion what barry thinks I don't know an Barry i hope you dont mind me putin my opinion on your thread but sayin this my decals on my ackdemy 1/48 tomcat came out fine crazy isnt it
chris

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Every time I read about your problems with them splintering, I keep wondering what could be the cause of that. Though I don’t think I’ve made a Tamiya kit with decals as big as these, I also don’t think I ever had any splinter except because I tried to get them from the paper too soon. My experience with Tamiya decals over the past thirty years or so (admittedly, I’ve not built many Tamiya kits in recent years) has been that most take a looooooong time to soak off, and of course they can tear if you try to move them when a little bit is still stuck to the paper. In other words, are you sure they’re completely loose when you apply them?

Could be I’m on completely the wrong track here, of course.
Hi Jakko

These are not Tamiya decals, these are a mix of Trumpeter and Techmod. They are both quite thin and the Techmod, marginally better than the Trumpeter.

The smaller ones go on OK, though the Trumpy are significantly more prone to splinter. The Techmod are OK for the smaller ones as long as you wet the model and dont have to move them around too much. They do sometimes splinter while adjusting position (I use a brush for that), but not too bad. The real problem is the size of the bigger ones and the complex shapes. It is one thng to lay down a large round decal and adjust the position but when they are complex shapes it is a massive problem. I am sure some people have mastered a way to handle these big complex decals. I have not.

That said - I have placed large Revell ones without splintering and Zoukei Mura as well - look at their 1/32 Skyraider with the 'bee' on the back, one of the biggest decals I have ever handled and that went down really well with no problems. In fact I remember how Kitty Hawk's decals went down really well as well. At least Revell and KH get one thing right!!!

I just think that some companies make their decals too thin and fragile to work with big complx shapes.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Apologies, my mistake — the F-16 you built was Tamiya, this F-14 is Trumpeter … for some reason I had gotten it in my head that this was a Tamiya kit too. I don’t have enough experience with Trumpeter decals to have any useful advice about them, other than that it’s made me recall a tip I once read in a model magazine to prevent decals from old kits splintering, which is to spray a clear coat over them before use. Might be worth a shot with a spare decal to see if it helps?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Barry
Sorry about the decal issues. Disregarding the accuracy the end result looks nice.
Jim

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Much as I would prefer accuracy I am happy that it will look like a F14.
Not entirely sure that it is an accurate F14B representation though. I have become aware of a lot of minor inaccuracies, panel lines, tail details not to mention the famous intake issue. The important thing is that I am enjoying the build despite these issues and to me that’s important.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Apologies, my mistake — the F-16 you built was Tamiya, this F-14 is Trumpeter … for some reason I had gotten it in my head that this was a Tamiya kit too. I don’t have enough experience with Trumpeter decals to have any useful advice about them, other than that it’s made me recall a tip I once read in a model magazine to prevent decals from old kits splintering, which is to spray a clear coat over them before use. Might be worth a shot with a spare decal to see if it helps?

It might add a little more resilience to them. I might try that with the F15.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Try Liquid Decal Film, from the MicroSol/MicroSet people. Worked well on one of my ancient charity shop finds. I wish I'd used it on my Blenheim decals.
Pete

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have applied a semi-matt varnish and will leave it to harden until tomorrow when I will start doing enamel panel line washes. It is a relief to get the decals done

DA478082-6A3D-48BE-BACF-BF560C5D2DFF.jpeg
74B66299-C7F3-4BA4-AFD6-F2AF9BD5799E.jpegC908F60F-AC5F-4F3D-9991-ABC2AEA6E57B.jpeg

There are a lot of sub assemblies to weather before final fittings

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Barry

Looking very good so far. It's looking very impressive already.

Andrew

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I used for the first time a spreader cap on my Topnotch airbrush for applying varnish. It worked rather well.

8106DB13-19F8-4DDA-AC04-1C4C524B4F81.jpeg

as for the Tomcat.... model done.

I will do a full completed model thread within the next day or two. For now just one pic....

8544E60B-4716-4D37-981E-6DA83F4408CE.jpeg

She looks like a ‘cat but the kit is not a particularly accurate one but it was an enjoyable build.

problems..... decals... my bug-bear and something putting me off modern jets.

I will get the F15 and F18 in my stash done but before I do I will be building a little 1/48 Mossie, the Tamiya kit, as a friend of mine asked me build a model of the aircraft his father flew in the war.... A nice little kit and a bit of light relief after the F14....

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Barry, decals are a scary part for me as well but I get good results with a coat of gloss varnish before decaling irrespective of decal brand...Italeri and Tamiya are notorious for leaving decal film silvering so the varnish helps and ofcourse trimming as close as possible. The right choice of decal solution also helps as some need stronger than others.
It would have been a nightmare if the same occurred as yours for my F-18D Kinetic Tigermeet build. :smiling6:

Good thing you're not a obsessive as you say and the cat looks like it should be but good for television as a ficticious squadron. :thumb2: Doesn't matter as long as you enjoyed the build. Looking forward to your WW2 stuff.

Cheers,
Richard

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Sorry for the Necromancy, I was looking a review as I have a chance to pick this kit up and Google brought me here, considering I've two quarter scale HobbyBoss Cats in the stash would it be worth adding?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I think so, despite the issues. It depends on how much you like the Tomcat I suppose....

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Sorry for the Necromancy, I was looking a review as I have a chance to pick this kit up and Google brought me here, considering I've two quarter scale HobbyBoss Cats in the stash would it be worth adding?
HI Karl two quarter scale HobbyBoss how big is these kits then ?
chris

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
HI Karl two quarter scale HobbyBoss how big is these kits then ?
chris
Quarter scale is funny speak for 1/48, or "Quarter inch to the foot", I think it's root is dolls houses where it's a quarter of the common 1/12. Confused with 1/4 scale RC........oh 1/4 scale RC Tomcat would be epic.....real jet engines......don't think my local fields neighbours would like it though......

Don't know why I use it.........

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Quarter scale is funny speak for 1/48, or "Quarter inch to the foot", I think it's root is dolls houses where it's a quarter of the common 1/12. Confused with 1/4 scale RC........oh 1/4 scale RC Tomcat would be epic.....real jet engines......don't think my local fields neighbours would like it though......

Don't know why I use it.........
WELL Karl it certainly got me thinkin it would be huge
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I'll do you a deal, if you build a 1/4 Nimitz class carrier I'll build a 1/4 cat........ :tongue-out3:
:cold-sweat:
1/4 SCALE NIMITZ !!!!!:smiling::smiling::smiling: :rolling::astonished::thinking:it would be about 200 ft long an then some WOW Karl you dont want much it took me 7yrs to build her in 1/144 scale an she was big then an i could not face that again its takein me all my time to build tiger an thats the lot as im gettin old ok for you youngters:rolling: so i'll have to decline your kind offer LOL:smiling2::tongue-out3::tongue-out3::tongue-out3:
CHRIS