Trumpeter 1/32 SU-25 A Frogfoot

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Loving the look of those Barry. A very worthwhile upgrade and a cut above Eduard self coloured etch.

First Name
Andy
That stuff looks absolutely brilliant much better looking than etch and decals, I can see a bright future for that product.

Andy.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Some pictures of the finished cockpit
1B7C70B6-D27A-4647-A977-5E8408A70E11.jpeg
The seatbelts benefitted from a brown wash.

Side panel with levels in position
5C77AFD4-4AB6-4A4D-B924-34B61DDF761F.jpeg

The finished i.p. With levers
0608B982-AC93-4C2A-84C6-2FA98B63B55C.jpeg

The completed pit looking suitably busy.
AF14E616-7E95-433C-B6CC-53AC0A62BD85.jpeg

The cockpit sub all done
9222D93C-3A43-4B2D-824D-FE6DD0F39B4C.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Blimey my cracked thumb nail and skin!!!!

Anyway, back to business.....

I can confidently say that these 3D printed detailing decals are the way forward. Forget etch, it really does not match up to this product in any way. It’s better detailed, better fitting, easier to use and simply looks the biz.....

I believe that other companies are going to get in on these such as Kits World and if their stuff is as well produced as these Quintas sets then we will be in for a real treat.

The only drawback - right now a limited range of product but that will change. If you want a detailing set then look for 3D decals first and only use etch if you cannot find these.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
As good as it looks, it's not many steps away from a pre-painted assembly only kit. I do hope it isn't adopted across the board as I much prefer the work and effort of painting and detailing. It's all part of the fun of the hobby.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
As good as it looks, it's not many steps away from a pre-painted assembly only kit. I do hope it isn't adopted across the board as I much prefer the work and effort of painting and detailing. It's all part of the fun of the hobby.
It’s a choice, an alternative to etch sets that is better than etch. That is it. You can still do it the old fashioned way if you prefer. I sometimes use detailing sets, sometimes not - its good to have options.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Absolutely. The appeal of these is obvious and particularly if you can't get on with etch (which is most people I think!).

I think you got my point though, it's mportant to have choices and I hope that remains.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Barry. Although not a wingy by any means this has been a great build to follow.

The only thing that's is of major concern is the cleanliness and neatness of your bench, this comes as the President of the Untidy Bench club :nerd:

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Barry. Although not a wingy by any means this has been a great build to follow.

The only thing that's is of major concern is the cleanliness and neatness of your bench, this comes as as the President of the Untidy Bench club :nerd:
YEA you are John an its about time its resarectied

• Haha
Reactions: JR
First Name
Carl
I spent an hour with the Quintas detailing set....

These are described as 3D decals and are an alternative to etch detailing sets.

Well I have used etch sets several times and I have a love/hate relationship with them while my relationship with decals is pure hatred, so how do these match up....

just feel the love people.......

Materials used:
cocktail sticks
white glue
thick c.a.
warm water
fine pointed tweezers
cotton buds

Forget conventional decals, these are vinyl so they have strength and do not splinter and there is no carrier film. The printing and detail are superior to etch and, of course, they have 3d detailing and are not just flat.

Starting with the main i.p. I applied a layer of white glue over the plastic panel then remove the detailing part from the backing paper in the usual way.
View attachment 408803
I blotted excess water from the ‘decal’.
View attachment 408802
then positioned it on the panel, a perfect fit.
View attachment 408801

There are a couple of other small items to add, then...
View attachment 408800

the panel is pictured next to a couple of levers that need adding. I will use thick c.a. for these, they have more ‘substance’ than the awful etch equivalent so I am optimistic that this will work. I will wait though a few hours to make sure the main panel is fully dry before I attach these.

some small details to various parts, all dead easy.
View attachment 408799

View attachment 408798

A side panel, next to a lever to add, again I will do it after the main panel is dry.
View attachment 408797

Now, some parts need ‘building out’ and to be given more depth. You can see below a small part to be layered onto the larger side panel.
View attachment 408796

Easy peasy.....
View attachment 408795

but there is more to be layered on top of that... a lever needs making up from three pieces...
View attachment 408794

I used a small drop of thick c.a.
View attachment 408793

that’s the two halves together just the end to go as shown clearly in the instructions.
View attachment 408792

All done...
View attachment 408789

Below a side consol fitted but with a number of levers etc needing to be added later with c.a.
View attachment 408791

below are parts for the seat.
View attachment 408790

when I get back to the bench I will finish the seat and i will see how well various levers attach....

so far, very good indeed and very easy...
I like those cockpit guages. Might have to try some of those myself.

First Name
Andy
Blimey my cracked thumb nail and skin!!!!

Anyway, back to business.....

I can confidently say that these 3D printed detailing decals are the way forward. Forget etch, it really does not match up to this product in any way. It’s better detailed, better fitting, easier to use and simply looks the biz.....

I believe that other companies are going to get in on these such as Kits World and if their stuff is as well produced as these Quintas sets then we will be in for a real treat.

The only drawback - right now a limited range of product but that will change. If you want a detailing set then look for 3D decals first and only use etch if you cannot find these.
There is a company in the UK doing that kind of thing and they stock a few makes, I ordered a dash set for a truck I have in the stash to see what they are like as it was cheap enough. The company is called Neomega-resin.com from Hinkley.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have left out some detail from the nose and, instead, used plastic card to build a box into which I first applied some white glue and then poured in liquid gravity. Over the liquid gravity I poured some thin c.a.

B055C3AD-B159-4EB2-A113-BAD2DF95CAA9.jpeg

576487F5-BC23-416B-A877-4FB99AEE4179.jpeg

The I matched up the fuselage sides. They are not a good fit.

The front matched up perfectly.

188C29E0-024B-4BBE-8604-77C8CEA5C881.jpeg

But look at the rear of the cockpit.
1A0C47A7-3AB6-424E-BC0B-842A9BD6646F.jpeg

I am hoping that the mismatch will be obscured by the canopy being open.

The rear fuselage halves match up as well so this can only be poor engineering.

2473EEAD-3000-4D33-974A-055818934105.jpeg

In trying to fit the fuselage halves I broke off the front gear leg. It should be easy to rectify though. I should never have fitted it so early on.

D750512D-AE69-4F9D-9A0C-1B44CA894688.jpeg

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
I have left out some detail from the nose and, instead, used plastic card to build a box into which I first applied some white glue and then poured in liquid gravity. Over the liquid gravity I poured some thin c.a.

View attachment 408972

View attachment 408971
Barry, it looks like russian jet pilots like to have a caviar reservoir just in case they find themselves downed behind enemy lines....:smiling:

Sorry. Hat, gloves and coat, please...:rolling:

Inspiring work as usual.
Andrea.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This has been slow going largely because of the poor fitting larger parts. I have spent a lot of time filling and sanding but I have been getting on as well with a few minor parts as in the picture below.
27657366-2002-4624-901F-AD7932902E51.jpeg

This is strange, the model is made so quite a few panels are open that I want closed yet the cockpit, that I want open, has been designed to be closed! I need to research how the canopy looks when open but, as yet, i cannot see a good point to fix it to when open.

The fit the aftermarket probes on the front I need to drill the holes as the kit ones are undersize. This was a tricky bit of work and somewhat risky given how I needed to do this.
157AD8B9-B4C4-47A1-970C-8D9960BF1B9E.jpeg

The gun cover fits so badly it needs a lot of filler and a lot of tape was used to hold it in the best position for cementing and minimising the filler needed.
CF1EBE54-0158-4DD1-BCB8-96A6F0DA76A2.jpeg

Just looking at how the primer has sanded back demonstrates the amount of work needed. Remember that the primer was applied at a point when I thought the seams etc had been sorted. While at it I added a few of the less vulnerable aerials.
B19C6BC3-47D9-45B4-A7B7-B791D712A5E9.jpeg

97BB2C8B-F1D7-4FF8-B42E-E5A2389232AD.jpeg

Looking at the fit and how vulnerable it is I decided not to have the cockpit ladder extended and that has given yet more sanding not reflected in the photo. If I close the pit up then that will be for the best anyway.

despite so much of my least favourite part of building a model, sanding,I am enjoying the challenges of the build. This though has to be the worse fitting Trumpeter kit I have ever built.