Trumpeter 1/32 SU-25 A Frogfoot

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
That looks really nice, did you buy that jig or make it yourself?

Andy.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I truly hate decals and with modern jets the painting on of markings with masks is just not practical and this is why I will infrequently do them.

Trumpeters decals are the worse that you can get, they just have no strength and tend to splinter. I really should have bought an aftermarket set but, using Trumpeters, I should have known to have painted on decal film first to give them some strength. I didn’t sadly and, as usual, I started with the biggest decal first, the sharks mouth.

True to form it splintered while on the backing paper (yes it was ‘loose’ and cracks appeared before I touched it).

82113A96-2594-424A-9327-85ECC621E94F.jpeg

Nevertheless I tried to piece it together on the model and it could have worked if the decal was not in many tiny pieces. Even then at first I thought I might be lucky and be able to use black paint to sort it.
59BB2FA6-DC3B-44F2-B721-C117C06DEB0C.jpeg
‘‘Twas not to be the case though. I could not rescue the decal it was in just far too many small pieces.

So instead of applying decals I spent the session painting two coats of liquid decal film over them.

As for the sharks mouth - another kit scheme also has a sharks mouth. A different style with no red. But it is use that or have none at all. Below is the other one that I will attempt to use.
B75D3EF3-B953-4F30-B143-E031F636542D.jpeg

Apart from the sharks mouth the other decals are not too big so hopefully with the decal film they won’t give me too much of a problem.

It really is the large decals in 1/32 scale that you see on modern jets that are the big problem.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
You certainly have no luck with decals. Are you using only water to soften these up and get them from the backing?

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
With the decal film the other decals went on without too much trouble. They don’t confirm well to detail and so far three applications of Daco strong softener have not corrected that. They are so fragile pricking or cutting them to encourage them to conform just splinters them. I will have a lot of patching up to do with paint and decals. I am only applying the most visible decals, there are a huge number of stencils and while a purist would be horrified, i have better things to do.

The black and white sharkmouth went on but that needs most touching up.

Never trust Trumpy’s decals..... decal film or no decal film they just don’t work.
CCB3B952-8501-4AAC-9F6E-B98B6DE9A93F.jpegEBBE3CA6-7D6F-4D13-B8F9-15EF5D713608.jpeg87399820-A50A-4050-963B-CCBDD82CAB22.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I did weathering with pigments and weathering pencils and after a final matt coat got on with final fittings.

F2723699-C4E4-4356-B38F-F444E583D0EE.jpeg

5A7A3F6E-C976-4121-BE49-D7606E1B9EC9.jpeg

EA4F2A31-E1B7-4432-A728-26986B38DFF4.jpeg
Still a fair bit to do.

One decision I have made is not to use the Master metal probes at the front. I tried drilling the larger holes but I have not been able to get them to lay at the right angle. It is a really tricky operation that risks the integrity of the whole nose area given the angle at which you need to drill. I would strongly recommend against these. I will use the plastic ones instead although it will mean some repairs where I have drilled.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good Barry.

First Name
Carl
I truly hate decals and with modern jets the painting on of markings with masks is just not practical and this is why I will infrequently do them.

Trumpeters decals are the worse that you can get, they just have no strength and tend to splinter. I really should have bought an aftermarket set but, using Trumpeters, I should have known to have painted on decal film first to give them some strength. I didn’t sadly and, as usual, I started with the biggest decal first, the sharks mouth.

True to form it splintered while on the backing paper (yes it was ‘loose’ and cracks appeared before I touched it).

View attachment 411007

Nevertheless I tried to piece it together on the model and it could have worked if the decal was not in many tiny pieces. Even then at first I thought I might be lucky and be able to use black paint to sort it.
View attachment 411009
‘‘Twas not to be the case though. I could not rescue the decal it was in just far too many small pieces.

So instead of applying decals I spent the session painting two coats of liquid decal film over them.

As for the sharks mouth - another kit scheme also has a sharks mouth. A different style with no red. But it is use that or have none at all. Below is the other one that I will attempt to use.
View attachment 411008

Apart from the sharks mouth the other decals are not too big so hopefully with the decal film they won’t give me too much of a problem.

It really is the large decals in 1/32 scale that you see on modern jets that are the big problem.
You didn’t fancy spray painting the mouth in then, now try at would be impressive.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
It’s not bad but it’s far from my best. I have had to make too many compromises. It is an enjoyable build though. A day or two more and it will be done!
Don't be too hard on yourself. You've not seen the few planes I've built this year!