Trumpeter 1/35 3.7cm Flak 37 Auf Sd.kfz. 7/2 Early Version.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I will have to look in my stash, and see if any other AFV models have track link sprue layouts that could the use the same technique - I bet not many!
Dave

Reactions: JR

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
AFV Club’s M48/M60 tracks are similar, in a way: the end connectors are spaced exactly the right distance apart that you can slide links into them, then add the second set on the outside while they’re also still attached to a length of sprue. There are a few others, but all designed that way; I’m not sure the tracks on your Sd.Kfz. 7 were designed to be assembled like this, but it’s definitely good that they can be. (My Dragon kit of this vehicle comes with loose track links, BTW.)

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow impressed by the build and now the tracks, very neat idea Dave.
Do you prime the PE before painting ever ?

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
All the roadwheel tyres brush painted
View attachment 438538
Boring! Some good music on & no interruptions!
Next, probably even boring - the assembly of the tracks. I can't assemble them my normal way, as they don't have a useful guide rib. I'm going to have to try several ways, to see which is least fiddly......................
Dave
Dave I love to hand paint it’s so relaxing to me. Great job so far

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I vaguely remembered seeing one in the stash somewhere - after a bit of mining & exploring - I found this.......
View attachment 437388
No figures, and the vehicle body has been assembled - I'm guessing it was part of an ebay auction, that I looked in the box & consigned to the unvisited region of my stash!! It has some of the worst rubber/vinyl tracks that I have seen for some time :confounded:
Dave
I have both this and the one with the 20mm gun...yes the tracks are very delicate...the road wheels are another horror.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Build is looking good too Dave.

Cheers,
Richard

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Dave and love the track idea, if you've got the right sprue layout of course....

Shame about the load bed gaff on the instructions though.

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Wow impressed by the build and now the tracks, very neat idea Dave.
Do you prime the PE before painting ever ?
John,
I give the PE a brush with IPA before using, most is applied with tweezers, so I don't get any oily fingerprints to affect paint adhesion
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A lot of fiddly bits & not a lot to show for it!
DSCF2248.JPG
I've glued the track links to the sprockets, and made up links to fit round the idler wheels. The real tricky bit is attaching the blocks ( rubber? ) to the tracks - top left, again, tweezer work! Still I should be able to fit the tracks to the chassis, providing, I haven't lost too many! The carpet monster is having regular snacks....................
Further to assembling track links with the aid of the sprues, links that have ingates, top & bottom are the most likely to work - sadly none of these techniques can help with my particular bogeyman - individual links on the Stuart/Lee/Sherman!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Coming on nicely Dave and week done for preserving on the tracks.

ATB.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Dave what is that in betwixt the air tanks ?
BTW Ive been enjoying your build so much that I've got this kit on the way
Ron,
ummm the white object was a trespassing piece of plastic! - no idea where it came from, but I know where it is now!!!
One thing you may like to add is some crew for this beast - I've been looking in my stash, but can only find a mix of summer uniform & winter gear!
Dave

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave, mehh, that's how it goes man. Odd pieces mysteriously disappear / appear rather magically. Like car keys or cell phones. Keeps all of us guessing lol

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Didn't realise it was that long since I did any work on this!
The half track is getting close to completion, I've basecoated it, but the seats, dashboard etc are left off 'cos theyr'e not yellow!
DSCF2321.JPG
Can anyone tell me if the camouflage would go over the load bed? I know it'd go over the bonnet, but the flat area?. It's going to be pretty worn, with the loaders scurrying round putting ammo into the gun at any angle of training.
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Whether the load bed was sprayed would be entirely up to the person(s) doing the painting. Chances are good that it wasn’t, but some crews might have, if they had the paint and inclination.

RonGlass

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Well Dave, I tip my hat to you Sir for doing this build. I was excited to get my own copy, but sadly, did not get very far into the build. I guess I've gotten pampered with Dragon one-piece frames. This frame and in particular, the sub-frame for the winch spool, was just.... fiddly. I realized I was having no fun, just fretting over if the chassis would wind up sitting straight and level. Funny, I built Trumpeter's Sdkfz. 8 Flak 88 a while back and rather enjoyed that. This time though I felt like I was taking on a junior Miniart kit.... sighhh.....Time to put Pandora back in her box.