Trumpeter 1/35 Baureihe 52 mit Steifrahmentender

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking great now. The wheels and brakes are really well located. Most builds have them too far away from the wheels. Great modulation on the paint job as well.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thanks all, much appreciated comments.

Looking great now. The wheels and brakes are really well located. Most builds have them too far away from the wheels. Great modulation on the paint job as well.
Thanks Tim, This is more luck than judgement. The points for glue on the brake blocks are really quite small, so I made the decision to seep some TET between the brake and the wheel, to a) keep them aligned, and b) offer a larger glued area. Whilst doing this, figured the brakes would likely be ‘on‘ whilst in the station anyway.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Jack,

So sorry I haven't commented earlier, but I have been following your progress. This is turning into a real work of art Sir. All your hard work is paying off in spades and she is gonna a be a beast when finished. A mighty fine looking beast too!!! Keep going Sir!!!......

Prost
Allen

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thank you, Andy and Allen. Very kind.

Got the boiler walkways attached today (had my second jab at an irritating time and location, so took the day off). Made the decision that using the PE was waaay beyond my skill, I sanded down the textured plastic part and glued on the PE texture. Even before the PE, dryfitting the plates was not happening, so had to do a fair bit or surgery/butchery to get them to fit. Probably something that went amiss at the start of the build. Anyway a lot of clamping swearing and brute force later...we are almost there.

90515A6C-8892-40D3-B2DF-F91543A63D80.jpeg
95F1D1A5-1073-4965-9297-3BF744201489.jpeg
Once these are fully set, there are a few small parts to add, and that will be the build stage complete. Paint touch up, a couple of decals, then a mammoth (and slightly daunting) weathering task.

Last edited:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
This is certainly an endurance build!

So construction is complete (apart from the smoke deflectors, which will be painted and weathered separately)…and painting pretty much there. I have made a pretty glaring mistake however. With the Eduard PE set, came some masks for the wheels. I remember thinking at the time they weren’t right, but for some reason ploughed on with them anyway. Strangely, the masks don‘t cover enough of the wheel, and give too much area to paint the shiny bare metal, i.e. the part that is in contact with the track. So I’ll have to spray the portion of the wheel that would be grey paint, and not metalic. May be tricky with all the crank things over the top. That will be tomorrow’s job, but here she is (with 7 panels glossed for the few decals), and the cab lid dryfitted. Going to do a photo shoot with the crew before I button her up never to see them again.

1BCABC25-CD68-496F-9105-5AAEF13D6973.jpeg
5E4F3335-FC63-4C84-A231-FBEE8579A051.jpeg

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jack
That just gets more and more impressive. Very striking model. I'm sure you'll sort the wheel painting - just extra work.
jim

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Hi Jack
That just gets more and more impressive. Very striking model. I'm sure you'll sort the wheel painting - just extra work.
jim
Thanks Jim. Can't believe I didn't see your cross section until This morning, now that is impressive!
It looks well mate,shame about the wheels.
thank you Mark.

Wheel paint fixed, decals added (so thin...they were tricky!!), and everything varnished. Next to begin the weathering. If anyone has any generic tips on weathering grey, please give me a shout. Never done it before. There will however, be plenty of rust, streaking, soot and grime.
B87A2B69-9FF5-40FE-A88F-3B9897034119.jpeg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
An outstanding build Jack. If I was weathering this is would probably take me longer than building the thing :smiling3: ;) :thumb2: . For weathering on Grey use dark pin washes like Vandyke Brown, Sepia, Engine Oil, and Raw Umber. Burnt Sienna is rust in a tube and Raw Umber is dirt in a tube. Starship Filth is particularly good for streaking on grey background. Blue Patina, Off White, Buff and Dust are good for lightening grey areas. Try on a practice piece to decide which areas of the model you want that particular look for. Good luck. Should be fun

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well there you have it Jack , and Steve's not mentioned rivets or three part camo once in this build either :smiling3:

What a great build,some very nice touches, pity they won't be seen again, but at least we and you know there are there. You could always was have a framed photo of inside the engine cab next to the finished model as it deserves to be remembered.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Fantastic build this! For weathering, there are lots of approaches, but looking at a real one and copying what you see always pays dividends. There are many ways a steam loco gets weathered. It gets atmospheric abrasion from sun and rain, so paint fading and streaking make an appearance. It gets fall out from sulphurous filth (a mix of Matt black and dark earth does well) falling from above generated by itself and other steam engines, so has soot and ash in appropriate places, boiler top and cab roof for soot, footplate and beneath firebox for ash come to mind. It suffers spills from lubricants and leaks and dribbles, so has staining and lime scale from oil and boiler additives in strategic places. It gets brake dust build up on the lower parts of the loco, and more importantly, on the tender end where the dust cloud is pulled in during braking. Lastly, it pulls ballast dust up from the roadbed when it is operating. All of these will best be applied in layers one over the other to get a realistic effect.
Definitely worth looking at this site for ideas and inspiration…...

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Hello Jack,
Just found your impressive build (both in size and skill) and well built it is. I have the same kit lingering in my engine shed (shed) along with the Eduard sets, and when the time comes to build it will look back at your build and use it as reference.
Painting, it may be a bit late, but I have a copy of Aspects of Modelling - Weathering Locomotives by Tim Shackleton. I often browse through it and get tips for my AFV weathering.
Looking forward to the finished item.
Mike.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Worth getting a copy of the Martyn Welch one to go with it Mike. Shackleton is OK, used to be editor of Railway Modelling Journal back in the day. Martyn Welch is a master though. He has produced some of the best railway models I’ve ever seen.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thank you for all the kind words and advice, apologies for not acknowledging them sooner! Have been grinding away at this over the past few weeks…been a little frustrating here and there, where I get one aspect spot on, and then ruin it later on. My biggest issues has been trying to tone effects down, but then overdoing it and effectively erasing something I was happy with. Anyway…it’s getting close.

Sorry for the artificial light….but my modelling is done in the loft.
34FC36CA-F8B7-4217-8CDB-DA707A5532BB.jpeg
Quite a stark difference between the engine and the tender. Not sure what I feel about that yet.D4E65F0B-69E5-43E6-ABEB-69ABEB0A6AB1.jpeg
The lighting doesn’t quite do justice to the amount of black pigment I used for soot. It looks a lot more smoke stained with the naked eye.AEB9FD6C-4CDF-4E3F-B9E1-6EEEA2B14AF9.jpeg

C&C welcome as always.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I am really liking that beast Jack - wish I had the shelf space and courage to go for it! Well done mate!
Steve

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Quite a stark difference between the engine and the tender. Not sure what I feel about that yet.

I luv contrast in my models. Especially on this build. It shows realism because the engine and tender would be exposed to different elements and weathering. Beautiful work all round Jack