Trumpeter 1/35 Baureihe 52 mit Steifrahmentender

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Well I am generally pretty useless at blogging my builds, but an interesting model so will give it a go.

Never considered one of these, but found this in a sale for £70 so couldn't resist. The price jumped up the next day, so I suspect it may have been a mistake. Had a nervous moment as despite and English address and phone number for the shop, the receipt and shipping note/address were all in French. However, within a week and with very reasonable postage, it was waiting for me with the neighbours.

Had a full day off yesterday so made some good progress. I don't think I have ever made a Trumpeter model before, and have to say the cleanup required is considerable. Flash not too bad but considerable mould lines and injection marks/holes. Thankfully the majority of the latter are in relatively unseen places, but you are in for a hell of a job if you insist on filling all of them. Engineering generally pretty good, some parts literally 'snap' into place, while a few others are a bit ambiguous with their fit.

The very large box:
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 18.18.07.png

No sprue pics, but there are a lot of them. Some of the biggest pieces of plastic I have ever worked with.

First couple of steps:
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 18.19.37.png

Adding some tank things and support structures. These support structures are fairly lose fitting. Whilst there are locator slots at the top, there is nothing at the bottom, fo quite a job to make sure they are square/parallel. may make a job of fitting the boiler on all the contact points later on. In hindsight, should have made the boiler first and used it as a jig.
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 18.21.14.png

This is the size of the basic engine WITHOUT the coal tender.

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 18.21.53.png

The cab is pretty basic, so although you will see next to nothing, decided to try and bling it up a little. Fairly fictional so far. Have ordered PE as well so will see what comes with that. A little surgery to have an open fire place as the fireman is shovelling. Some extra taps/valves added as well from what I am fairly sure are spares in the kit. That might come round to bite me later.
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 18.23.26.png

With some figs for scale.
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 18.25.58.png

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thanks all for the early interest. Bit of a sore arm this evening after my first Covid jab, but still managed some progress, mostly sanding and filling.

Boiler halves together, generally a good fit but did need some Mr Dissolved Putty run along the seam and some sanding. Figure in for scale again.
Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 21.34.12.png

Apparently an issue with all these models, a 2mm gap between the boiler and the chassis supports. Glad I saw this highlighted by others or it would have driven me mad. Solution will be some plasticard blocks. Won't be too visible once everything is added on.

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 21.34.28.png

And just to show how many sink holes need attention: These are just tonights production line from the inside of the cab. There are more apparent on the above picture as well, but those should be well and truly hidden from view.

Screenshot 2021-06-10 at 21.33.54.png

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Jack.......just had a thought regarding the 2mm gap between the boiler and cradles......fillers will work fine to eliminate the "gap" but I'm concerned about how the increased boiler height will affect the rest of the build. The relationship of the running boards, pilot deck steps and any external plumbing that will descend from the boiler down to the lower frame and or running gear.......don't want to tell you how to build your model but would hate to see you bin it down the road based on ill fitting parts. Rick H.:thumb2:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Hi Jack.......just had a thought regarding the 2mm gap between the boiler and cradles......fillers will work fine to eliminate the "gap" but I'm concerned about how the increased boiler height will affect the rest of the build. The relationship of the running boards, pilot deck steps and any external plumbing that will descend from the boiler down to the lower frame and or running gear.......don't want to tell you how to build your model but would hate to see you bin it down the road based on ill fitting parts. Rick H.:thumb2:
Not at all, a fair comment. The front and back support seem to fit, just not those in the middle, with a very uniform gap. Having read a couple of reviews and a youtube construction video, it seems an issue across all, and filling the gap solves this. I do intend to keep them separate until the last step anyway, mainly for painting and weathering, so will find out along the way if the raised 2mm affects anything else.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Jack
Nice start on this behemoth. With regard to the gaps on the supports, I think I’d be moved to check the boiler pitch (centreline height) against accurate drawings. It may be that the saddle and firebox are too high, not that the supports are too low. if this critical dimension is out the loco will look top heavy….

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I agree with Tim....on something like this you might check everything.....I'd suggest you run a straight edge along the lower frame just to verify that it is not "sway backed" in the middle causing the cradles to sag.
Rick H.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Another day off today so flying through the build. Very sore arm still, but not hindering too much.

A fair bit of fiddling with the cab, which I think I am now happy with. Here it is with the roof balanced on. Will leave off for now anyway, for painting and weathering, so gives the opportunity to add more 'stuff.' Photo's of the real thing below shows what I mean... I do like the kettle, so might try making one, though not sure where it will fit.
Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 17.42.41.png
IMG_4752 2.JPG

Put the main parts of the coal tender together. A sizeable unit in itself: Made up a section of track to align the wheels properly.
Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 17.44.07.png

As with the firebox in the cab, a bit of surgery to make an open coal hatch. Yes I managed to slip twice hence the big scratches. Thankfully not my fingers.
Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 17.43.56.png

This is the 'coal' provided in the kit, but far too neat, tidy and full for me, so just used it to square off the box and then removed....
Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 17.43.38.png

...And made a false bottom for some DIY coal. I don't like models that have full ammo racks etc, and this is the same, so going to have a 'well shovelled' coal tender that's seen a bit of time between refills. This of course means filling some more sink holes. I did think about removing the lip that supports the fake coal, but decided it might be there and doesn't detract from anything, so why make more work. Just need to fill and sand the location tabs around the coal flap. Coal will cover the tabs along the sides.

Screenshot 2021-06-11 at 17.43.07.png

Thanks again for taking the time. C&C welcome as always. Really enjoying it so far...but lot's of PE and very fiddly detail to come now. Also need to consider sub-assembly painting, a lot of hard to get to areas.

Jack

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jack, looking great, even at this early stage. Most impressive and neat work.
When you get to painting the loco and you fancy a guaranteed load of hair pulling and rude words, try painting the thing in multi-coloured horizontal camouflage. Last year I attempted it on a Revell 1/87 BR50. :flushed: :upside:
Trust me, it works!

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Can any one remember a guy who used to be on here from Germany , he was building this. Jack you've accomplished than he did and its looking fine. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: The cab detail is brilliant.
Agree with Mark

how about an led fire in the firebox!!

Would really set it off, if your interested have a look at https://www.smallscalelights.co.uk/ The lady Jenifer is very helpful, its my go to place for lighting.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just caught this update,
What a clean looking build,lovely work Jack :thumb2: ,
That`s one busy looking cab,nice one.
Andy

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Can any one remember a guy who used to be on here from Germany , he was building this. Jack you've accomplished than he did and its looking fine. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2: The cab detail is brilliant.
Agree with Mark

how about an led fire in the firebox!!

Would really set it off, if your interested have a look at https://www.smallscalelights.co.uk/ The lady Jenifer is very helpful, its my go to place for lighting.
I remember that , he found all sorts of stuff to correct but it was fascinating. Can't remember his name though

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Jack
I missed the start but sitting comfortably now ;) That is certainly a big model. Excellent start. I'm sure you will sort any fit issues.
Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Jack ive just caught up as well an lookin a good build is there any chair room for me somewhere at the front with the rabble lol
Chris

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I remember that , he found all sorts of stuff to correct but it was fascinating. Can't remember his name though
Neil,John,
He was called Stefan Blaubar,
I knew him first on another site,he was always an infrequent modeller and had many other interests which he put in front of this hobby.
He spent more time researching than actual modelling,but as the phrase goes......
"He was a bloody nice bloke"!!;)
Andy