Trumpeter 1/35 Baureihe 52 mit Steifrahmentender

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Neil,John,
He was called Stefan Blaubar,
I knew him first on another site,he was always an infrequent modeller and had many other interests which he put in front of this hobby.
He spent more time researching than actual modelling,but as the phrase goes......
"He was a bloody nice bloke"!!;)
Andy
maral
That's him Andy, thanks. He certainly had some varied pastimes form judging cross country skiing, to heavy metal concerts.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I remember him too...oops I'm late to this one Jack and the progress looks smooth. Have seen one built by a late friend who liked big projects...him being over six feet tall I reckon he was more comfortable with it but he was detailed too.

Moving the Day Bed closer.

Cheers,
Richard

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Really appreciate all the support here, and apologies I am only now getting round to responding.
Looking good, how about an led fire in the firebox!!
I did consider it Mark, but there will be so little of the interior seen, I think it would be overkill. Not ruling it out though.

Jack, looking great, even at this early stage. Most impressive and neat work.
When you get to painting the loco and you fancy a guaranteed load of hair pulling and rude words, try painting the thing in multi-coloured horizontal camouflage. Last year I attempted it on a Revell 1/87 BR50. :flushed: :upside:
Trust me, it works!
Thanks Ron, yes was studying your build at the time, and stealing ideas left right and centre. I was leaning towards a camo scheme, but there are already a few 2 and 3 tone camo vehicles in the scene, so decided on German Grey to add a bit of contrast. And as you say, maintain some sanity.

Would really set it off, if your interested have a look at https://www.smallscalelights.co.uk/ The lady Jenifer is very helpful, its my go to place for lighting.
Thanks John, I'll keep this one saved, I don't think it's for this one however.
Just caught this update,
What a clean looking build,lovely work Jack :thumb2: ,
That`s one busy looking cab,nice one.
Andy
Thanks Andy.
Hi Jack
I missed the start but sitting comfortably now ;) That is certainly a big model. Excellent start. I'm sure you will sort any fit issues.
Jim
Thank you, Jim. I have had
HI Jack ive just caught up as well an lookin a good build is there any chair room for me somewhere at the front with the rabble lol
Chris
Thank you Chris, most
to arrange the room to fit it all on 2 modelling desks)
I remember him too...oops I'm late to this one Jack and the progress looks smooth. Have seen one built by a late friend who liked big projects...him being over six feet tall I reckon he was more comfortable with it but he was detailed too.

Moving the Day Bed closer.

Cheers,
Richard
Thanks Richard, make sure you bring a fan with your bed, the loft gets hot as the day wears on.

Hopefully not missed anyone, feel more than a like is needed when everyone takes the time to offer support. A bit of progress but the loft is too warm to work in now.

This was the final version of the cab I am happy with. The 'only' thing missing is an oily rag, a compulsory item apparently, in all steam loco cabs.
Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 15.25.58.png

Primed, and a coat of Black. Was almost a shame to lose the copper pipes.
Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 15.28.15.png
But added some colour back in. Added a couple of PE gauges, and although the references show them to be black, to me the brass looks good, so painted the plastic ones to match. Stuck on a printout gauge face, and added a drop of Micro Krystal Klear which I think looks pretty good on the couple you can see have dried. Will be very happy if the others turn out that well. The floor to paint and then weathering, then buttoned up never to be seen again. Hey Ho.
Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 15.30.17.png

Almost finished the construction on the coal tender, a few touches of putty here and there to be sanded down tomorrow, then can add the delicate parts, and will be ready for primer.
Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 15.36.18.png
Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 15.36.31.png

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Very nice Jack..........cab interior looks the "real deal"! Rick H. :thumb2:

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
looking fantastic Jack!
Thanks Neil.
Very nice Jack..........cab interior looks the "real deal"! Rick H. :thumb2:
Cheers Rick
Superb Jack, very impressive!!

What about a fried egg on the shelf lol
Thank you Bob, unfortunately, Eggs were in short supply at this stage in the War!

I got impatient and tried to ignore the loft temperature for a bit, but weathered the cab to a level I'm actually chuffed with. The 'wet' is just where the oils haven't quite dried. Thing the guages have come out pretty well, and has a go at a couple of mugs. They are far too big, but maybe the 1940s version of Pro Direct Mugs? A couple fo touch ups required here and there, but I'm very happy with it.
Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 18.49.51.png
Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 18.50.39.png
Screenshot 2021-06-14 at 18.51.05.png

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Jack. Love the coal spill on the footplate. Bet the driver gave him hell for that! Tea mugs will look great when weathered in with coffee stains…...

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Thank you Mark, Tim and John.

Little things are taking a long time at the moment, but she's starting to look like a train at last.
Screenshot 2021-06-15 at 15.54.31.png

Here is the fit issue, the face at the front of the structure in the pic above fit's nicely, as does the contact area at the back of the boiler (where the second elastic band is), and the supports at the back of the cab. To my eye, the boiler seems level and sitting correctly, so three strips of cut down plasticard has filled the gaps. Will need a little tidy up once things are dry.
Screenshot 2021-06-15 at 15.54.16.png

And for the first time, been able to get an idea of the size of the thing. Much too big for the modelling desk now. Obligatory Vallejo bottle for scale.
Screenshot 2021-06-15 at 15.53.55.png

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jack,
That is a great looking footplate the spilt coal is a great touch. If I could say and its not a nit pick at all, is to use a pin on the bottom 3 valves to clear the paint. Love where this is heading.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Jack. Nice catch on the fit issue as well. Got to say though, that tender is a really ugly structure! Wonder what the designer was thinking!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wow its certainly a size Jack as that bottle shows. Coming on well, keep it going.

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
Jack,
That is a great looking footplate the spilt coal is a great touch. If I could say and its not a nit pick at all, is to use a pin on the bottom 3 valves to clear the paint. Love where this is heading.
Thanks Paul. No, good spot! Amazing what a second pair of eyes sees. I'm finding new injection holes every time I pick the bloody thing up. My only real gripe about the model so far!

Hi Jack
Excellent work. The cab is great and the weathering is totally believable.
Jim
Thanks Jim, very kind.

Looking good Jack. Nice catch on the fit issue as well. Got to say though, that tender is a really ugly structure! Wonder what the designer was thinking!
Thank you Tim, agree, not sure aesthetics were top priority!

Nice resolution on the fit issue Jack.....probably didn't fit all that well on the "original". :thumb2: Rick H.
Thanks Rick. No, possibly not!

Wow its certainly a size Jack as that bottle shows. Coming on well, keep it going.
Thanks John, yes much larger than I thought to be honest, think we are going to need a bigger boat!

Not much to show for today's efforts...a little PE that took a LOT of time. Should probably have taken a plastic vs PE comparison, but the majority of this Eduard set definitely adds to the model.
Screenshot 2021-06-16 at 19.40.31.png