Trumpeter 1/35 WW2 Russian KV-5 Super Heavy Tank

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good so far Ron.

ATB

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
You gotta love those swoopy Rooskie tailpipes! Steady as she goes.......nice job on the etch. I don't often get the chance to play around with etched parts in my scale. Just as well.....I have a particular dislike for CA...can't seem to get it to go where it needs to be...sort of like herding cats. Right, what's next 570?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ooh 570 that's some nice work.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the nice comments thus far boys. :thumb2:

Rick. I hate p.e. with a passion, but unfortunately there was no plastic alternative with this kit. When I have to use the horrid stuff I don't use C.A, I stick it on with ordinary general purpose glue. (One that sticks metal as well as most other surfaces) Works a treat and gives me time to faff about with the bits of brass.

O.k., I've completed and fixed the lid to the bottom bit. A nice, quick and simple build.

P1280446.JPG

P1280447.JPG

P1280449.JPG

P1280450.JPG

A figure for size comparison. Yes, I know he's a Jirmon.
P1280452.JPG

Next up, the turret.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks fellas.

Pete, the paint is left over Vallejo Air 'Aluminium'

By accident, I squirted far too much out of the bottle for another paint job I'm working on, so rather than fart about putting it back in the bottle, I coated these tracks with it. A sort of 'impromptu primer' I have yet to attack the track painting proper like.

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
570, you got my attention when you mentioned a glue substitute for CA could you please tell me exactly what it's called and who the manufacturer is.....I like the idea of being able to faff about with the etch to get it into final position.
Yours,
Mr. Stickumup

Last edited:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Very neat and tidy building Mr 570, hadn’t realised quite what a massive beast this was!

Now I have to admit i was iniItaly shocked to see you using fancy la-de-da PE....I’d of expected a bit of 2x4 nailed in place to be honest! :smiling5:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks chaps, much appreciated.

Rick. I glued the P.E. on with UHU General purpose glue. It's in a yellow tooth paste type box. Make sure you rough up the brass contact surface with a bit of fine sand paper or similar before applying the glue.
I know people will argue that it's not as good as c.a., it isn't. But which mumpty would keep tugging at a glued part to see if the joint was strong enough? If applicable, members please feel free to fill in the space with your name.......................... ;)

If the bond is strong enough, it's good enough. That will do me. I ain't going to mess with the part after it's fixed, that's for sure.

Simon. I hate p.e. with a passion. Unfortunately, as there was no plastic equivalent in the kit, I had no choice but to use the stuff.

Thanks again for all your encouraging comments boys.

Update.....
The turret is built. a no nonsense, no frills, straight forward design. Excellent fit.
P1280445.JPG

P1280443.JPG

P1280444.JPG

Yer' man again!
P1280451.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks from me as well 570 I was going to ask about the glue then read Ricks post. I have some in stock so will try when the next lot of PE goes onto the T34.

Ivan Raceisky.
Cut and shunt dept Stalingrad Factory.