Trumpeter 1/48 Hawker SeaHawk

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi All,

While I await for putty to cure on my Toon build I started on another build for my local Navy Jet Group Build. I don't often build jets and latest manufactured kits either so was unacustomed to almost good fitting and crisp parts. Having said that 60 percent of the kit just came together in one sitting.

About the plane c/o Wikipedia
The Hawker Sea Hawk is a British single-seat jet fighter of the Fleet Air Arm, the air branch of the Royal Navy (RN), built by Hawker Aircraft and its sister company, Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft. Although its design originated from earlier Hawker piston-engined fighters, the Sea Hawk became the company's first jet aircraft.
Contrary to what a friend said that it was a failure (Ithink he meant the Sea Vixen)... following acceptance in the RN, the Sea Hawk proved to be a reliable and sturdy workhorse. A considerable number were also produced for the export market and were operated from aircraft carriers in Dutch and Indian service and even the German Bundesmarine. The last operational Sea Hawks, operated by the Indian Navy, were retired in 1983.

Design
The F 1 was armed with four 20 mm (.79 in) Hispano MK V cannons. It was powered by a 5,000 lbf (22 kN) thrust Rolls-Royce Nene 101 centrifugal flow turbojet engine. The Nene engine was viewed as underpowered; in 1950, the government had cancelled development of the Rolls-Royce Tay, an afterburnerr-equipped development of the Nene, leaving no more powerful engines to equip the Sea Hawk. More minor developments of the Nene engine were developed and were adopted on the aircraft, providing for some increase in power.
The F 1 had a maximum speed of 599 mph (964 km/h) at sea level and a range of 800 mi (1,287 km) on internal fuel. A more refined fighter variant was the F 2, which introduced power-boosted aileron controls as well as other modifications, including to its structure. The next variant of the Sea Hawk was developed into a fighter-bomber, the FB 3, and differed only slightly from its predecessors; its structure being strengthened to allow it to carry a wider array of equipment and weaponry on its four hard points, these included rockets, bombs, napalm, mines, reconnaissance cameras, external drop tanks and fixtures for rocket-assisted take off gear (RATOG).
Unlike its rival, the Supermarine Attacker, which had been the first jet aircraft to enter service with the FAA, the Sea Hawk had a tricycle undercarriage rather than a tail-wheel, making it easier to land on carriers, it was also Hawker's first aircraft to incorporate a nose-wheel undercarriage. The Sea Hawk had adopted a fairly conventional design, being built with straight wings while a number of other contemporary aircraft, such as the F-86 Sabre, had adopted swept wings. The Sea Hawk was a reliable and elegant aeroplane, though its cautious design meant it would only be attractive on the export market and be in production for only a short period before being superseded by more advanced aircraft.

Combat Record
The Sea Hawk saw extensive service during the Suez Crisis with the Fleet Air Arm aboard the fleet carrier HMS Eagle, HMS Albion and HMS Bulwark. In Indian Navy service (beginning in 1960), Sea Hawks were used aboard the aircraft carrier INS Vikrant, ex-HMS Hercules and saw service during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1965.

The Kit
Seriously quite looking at first site with about four sprue trees and it comes with a small etch fret that give you the dash and seat belt harness. Also there is an acetate film for the instrument dials. Flashless with clean engraved panel lines, good fit with no gaps. The destruction sheet takes you through the steps easily making sure you have everything inserted before clamping any halves together.

S1.jpg

Apologise for not have=ing any sprue shots 'cos I just delved in straight away with the build

S2.jpg

One of the parts that needs done first is the main wheel bay . This got a spurt of silver and a wash to bring out detail. Further dirtying was done and wires were given some attention with selective coloured painting, nothing too glaring.

S3.jpg

Funny that the instructions called for blue gray for the cockpit tub and side walls when British aircraft of the period had all black cockpits...anyway I gave it a darker wash as reference pictures show it as very dark grey.

S4.jpg

It is always good to weigh into this by making sure the aircraft doesn't sit on its tail. I checked out possible areas as far forward and unobstructed just infront and underneath of the cockpit tub.

S5.jpg

The gun ports underneath the fuselage were shallow with no hole at the end so I chucked a suitable drill bit and bore down and eventually drilled right through.

S6.jpg

The ejector pin marks on the exhausts halves were sanded down and glued and deflector plates installed onto the bottom half of the fuselage.

S7.jpg

The seat was assembled after each part was painted separately and touched up later.

S8.jpg

The dash and dials added. I put a drop of Future on each dial. The Future also acted as the adhesive for the acetate film.

S9.jpg

Seatbelt harness being painted. Personally I would replace the belts with masking tape in future as the etch was quite stiff and misbehaving.

That's it for this point. I have put the fuselarge together and clamped it down...no pictures of it yet...next post perhaps...going to check it out now.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
As you say it is rather unusual for you to work with a kit without problems. Good progress so far. Interesting aircraft.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Ralf and Jim...building such kits is a lot smoother and I'm afraid that I might finish a lot sooner than expected.

I have closed the fuselage and did some test fitting of the canopy...which fits like a glove. I've heard that Trumpeter canopies can be troublesome.

S13.jpg

Now all I need is to sand off the sprue attachment tabs and dip them in Future.

S10.jpg

The tail comes as aseparate assembly and a horizontal insert slot for the tail wings.

S11.jpg

Fit is ok with a very minor step and I will need to check with reference whether the panel lines should meet at the joint.

S14.jpg

This doesn't mean that the fit is bad , I'm just making sure I don't need to apply anothe coat if there is shrinkage of the putty.

S15.jpg

All sanded and polished. The panel lines need a light pass with the scriber where the putty has filled in.

S17.jpg

The slight step has been taken care of with filler and sanding.

S12.jpg

I would be folding the wing on one side and couldn't live with the thickness of the plastic so I thinned it and filled some gaps.

S16.jpg

I will add some bits and bobs of plastic and wire following references I have of the wingfold.

Working on the wings next. Thanks for looking in.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,

The components have now been readied for priming except for the folding wing slots which still need some bits and pieces...

S18.jpg

Contrary to the box photo, I couldn't find any images of the flaps open while wings were folded but I'm taking the artistic license that the flaps can be actuated separately.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Good progress. Look forward to seeing you detail the wing fold. Also interested to know how you go about scribing/rescribing. Something I've done very little of but find it very difficult to do it neatly and without slippng and scratching.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Jim,
Thanks for looking in...the wing fold stuff will be on in a jiffy. As per the rescribing bit always use a new blade for every kit you need to rescribe. Work on a flat non slippery surface like a rubber work matt. Use a very rigid guide like steel and aluminum rulers or Dymo tape. Run the blade the opposite direction to see that you are having the tip of the blade on the right spot then lightly score the first scribe. Once there is a groove then the next score will be easier as there is a line for the blade to follow. I would do roughly 3 light swipes to get the right depth for 1/48 and 2 for 1/72.

Cheers,
Richard

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice work Richard, looking forward to the painting process.
Cheers, Steven

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Here are the updates from last nights build...

S19.jpg

Mask and priming of the accessories...the canopy had a coat of black first for the inner panel before the coat of primer. Used an old Airfix sprue to hold the undercarriage doors.

S20.jpg

The whole plane was primed with very diluted Mr Surfacer 1000. Some scratches showed up and needed smoothening down and reprimed.

S21.jpg

With reference from the nett I added bobs and pieces most notably missing from the given parts which were the arms and wiring connecting the wings.

S22.jpg

Evidence of not using a new blade for scraping can be seen so fine sanding is required here. I'll prime this and move along to pre-shading.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
As per the rescribing bit always use a new blade for every kit you need to rescribe.
Thanks for replying. When you mention a new blade are you talking about a scalpel blade or a special scribing tool?
Progress looks good. Wing fold bits will look great painted up.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Ralph and Jim, just a little and not overboard with the additions.

Here's another update where I have cleaned up the lip of the fold...by adding plastic strip as sanding or scraping wasn't possible.

S23.jpg

Jim, I have two types of scribing tools, one is featured on the Walrus thread which is the Olfa P Cutter 450 and the other is a more precision Japanese tool for finer lines. I will take a photo of that.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Wouter
Hi Mister F, great build you got yourself going on here. Nice work so far, and good to see primer. Next up, a cool coat of paint ey :cool:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Wouter, nice to hear from you...it's a jet :smiling6: and one of those rare moments. Before the paint a pre-shade was done...

S25.jpg

I tried a new experiment and created the rain streaks during pre-shading.

S26.jpg

Looks like it turned our ok with a thin coat of light green grey for the underside. At this point I took another look at the decals and to my horror I found that the roundel dot was misregistered. Either a hunt for new roundels or decide on surgery.

S27.jpg

While contemplating my next move I drilled the rocket butts to take my mind off the decals. Five minutes work ...blardy short therapy...wish it took longer.

S28.jpg

Top fuselage being readied for the dark sea grey with loads of masking. I did another round of pre-shading streaks over the areas covered by the light green grey.

S29.jpg

I checked with my fellow local modellers whether Humbrol over Lacquer was permiseable and got the go ahead. Humbrol was the only paint avaible to me last night in the right shade.
Masking for whites to the wing fold next.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Wouter
Oh that is looking very good chap. The preshade is nice and subtle, as well as the rain marks. Colors came on nicely. Tidy masking!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Wouter, the masking takes 70% of the time for spraying but results can be gratifying. Following was last nights progress...

S24.jpg

Each rocket had 3 sets of masking to paint the 3 colours. The thin band was primer mask over.

S30.jpg

To make quick work I used AK tints and grime washes to dirty the wing fold and add chips and streaks.

S31.jpg

The undercarriage was treated with my own home made wash and cleaned up with a cotton bud. I will have to Future the areas for decaling next.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Looking excellent. Admire that subtle pre-shade and delicate top coat. Wing fold gubbins looks most realistic. Hope you can sort the decal.
Jim

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
It's turning out very nice Richard :thumb2:
Cheers, Steven