Trumpeter 1/48 Hawker SeaHawk

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, Steven and Ian for the nice comments. Was out meeting some old modelling friends and one commented on what was the big deal with pre-shading...it was hilarious when he said he had sprayed a thick coat over the pre-shade and obliterated hours of spraying the panel lines. :tears-of-joy: Best results discussed were to use Mr Color or Tamiya as they gave the thinnest coats. No one has tried Model Air.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Ralph, I was skepticle about pre-shading for a while before trying...now my planes are processed that way.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Ok here's some advice...if you ever want to add the stripes, mask and spray them. The decals were a pain to use. Lots of decal setting, pulling and stretching to fit the fuselage portion. The wing stripes don't quite reach the tips.

After some swear words I got it done...

S32.jpg

The roundel dots were fixed. Any white showing was cut in situ with a sharp blade.

S33.jpg

After a coat of varnish I wet sanded over the decals to thin it down and then applied thin wash. You'll see part of the tail section still waiting for clean up.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
I have still to master the pre-shade. I'm getting better but can still obliterate it rather too easily!
Well done with the decals. Interesting that you sanded after the varnish.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Richard,
I had missed all of this but caught up now. Cracking work getting this together and painted....the paint work and decals look excellent :thumb2:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Very nice Richard, glad to here you pulled it off with those decals. :thumb2:
Cheers, Steven

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wow...what an avalanche of replies...thanks guys Ralph, Jim, Si, Steven and Mick,

Jim, the trick is to thin the paint a lot more and apply in layers until you are satisfied. Always resist the urge for the next layer. The sanding works only for thicker decals like Tamiya and Trumpeter, basically its to sand the edges of the carrier film so you won't see it on the next coat of varnish.

Steven, these decals were so thick that it could withstand the tugging and pulling I went through.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I've stuck on the rockets and done some individual panel separation with lighter tones. Also sprayed a dull coating which softens the dark panel lines for scale effect.

S34.jpg

Removed the canopy masking with fingers crossed as it's always the scariest part of wingy building...no paint seepage.

I will next do some major oil leakage under the belly for dramatic effect and paint a thin lip around the engine outlet faring with some burnt iron. Also with my Prisma Silver Color pencil will add some light paint chipping to add some brownie points for this weeks local GB.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
More updates...

I've done the thin lip around the engine outlet faring and tinted it. Also am making preparations to respray the stripes at the top to hide the fold of the decal after I sanded it smooth.

S35.jpg

The roundels need repair as well with sanding to lessen the fill I need to the gap left when repositioning the red dot. The decal is showing how thick it is.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Ralph, thanks. It sure did work out nicely...got to attach the folded wing which shows off the rockets. I have done some salt spray weathering on the drop tanks.

S36.jpg

My next move will be to add oil stain running down the tank from the wing fold mechanism.

S37.jpg

Just grimed the bottom of the aircraft but haven't photographed yet. Thanks to an image provided by a friend I have closed the central undercarriage doors. They only deploy when the undercarriage is actuated. Also the image reminded me to stain the starter exhaust port. These planes started with a bang and black smoke.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ok here's some advice...if you ever want to add the stripes, mask and spray them. The decals were a pain to use. Lots of decal setting, pulling and stretching to fit the fuselage portion. The wing stripes don't quite reach the tips.

After some swear words I got it done...

View attachment 337600

The roundel dots were fixed. Any white showing was cut in situ with a sharp blade.

View attachment 337601

After a coat of varnish I wet sanded over the decals to thin it down and then applied thin wash. You'll see part of the tail section still waiting for clean up.

Cheers,
Richard
Great job Richard.
Seeing those decals that's probably the reason I stay away from aircraft plus the wires in the older type.:smiling5:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Cracking job. I really admire your approach to modelling - always seem so thoughtful and well planned.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Steven, Ralph, John and Jim, thanks Guys.
Ralph - The salt weathering was rather soft so I stippled the texture with an old brush then wet sanded to remove the rough texture left by the dried stippled paint.
John - The art of decalling is to know the stress level of the material and how it reacts when dry. Always have lots of water applied with a brush to ease and tease the decal into position. Don't have any fan near you if you have the habit of lifting the decal instead of sliding it from the backing sheet.
Jim - Sometimes a well laid plan gets diverted to work on another sub-assembly. I try to stick with the plan especially the urge to remove the masking from the canopy.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Todays progress...

I made a base with a box pedestal to elevate the display...

S38.jpg

The drop tank got streaked using both the hissy thing and hairy stick. The rusty brown tint was twenty passes of a very diluted paint with the hissy thing at low pressure.

S39.jpg

I finally glued the sliding cockpit down with white glue. If I have time I will add the sliding rakes along the edge of the cockpit.

S40.jpg

Stains were streaked by adding a dot of grime and giving it the finger swipe. :smiling6:

S41.jpg

For these streaks I used both the finger and hairy stick with controled dry brushing. The rocket head has a finger print that needs touching up.

Aargh!! I forgot to photograph the bottom...tomorrow perhaps...sleepy time now. Thanks again for looking in and commenting.

Cheers,
Richard