Trumpeter 1/700 USS Tuscaloosa CA-37

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The final clay session on the base.............................
DSCF3366.JPGI'll let that dry for another 24hrs, then I'll seal it all in. The final bow wave will be added from Perfect Plastic Putty, when the hull is added.
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I sealed the dry clay base with a gloss varnish, then after drying laid down a basecoat...............
DSCF3367.JPG
Hull is just dry fitted. I looked for a grey-green in my paint box for a base colour. I picked one out - Vallejo German Uniform!
The rest of the deckhouses etc have been detail painted before assembly, to ease access
DSCF3368.JPG
The instructions show the assembly of the SOC Seagull floatplanes, but there are no colour call outs for them, or even where they are fitted - the boxtop only shows them in flight. Luckily one of the pictures taken in Iceland shows how they sit on the catapults
0403731.jpg A bit more digging gives the colours as Blue-Grey over Light Grey.................
Fave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Those aircraft! - I've had more trouble putting them together, than the rest of the model. Tiny parts & the clear plastic that wouldn't stick ( I used CA in the end! ) - I hope they'll be OK when painted up & decals added........
DSCF3396.JPGDSCF3397.JPG
Base is just about finished - although you can always spend more & more time on this, you eventually have to say enough! - A final wash to tone down the white should do it, and maybe the bow wave could do with some more attention......
The superstructure bits are finished & ready to add, The masts & a few other delicate fittings will be fitted at the end.
The next pictures will appear in the 'completed ' section...............
Dave