Trumpeter 1/700 USS Tuscaloosa CA-37

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Having a lazy day and thinking what to build next - I'd decided to build a floaty thing. I got this from China, from Aliexpress, at about 2/3 the price in the UK ( delivered )
uss tuscaloosa.jpg
A member of the New Orleans class heavy cruisers, the Washington Treaty cruiser was commissioned in 1934. Saw service in WWII, in Europe & the Pacific - one of the few USN ships never to receive war damage! Laid up post WWII & scrapped in 1959.
The Trumpeter model can be built as a full hull, or waterline - I'm going to build waterline. The camouflage seems to be a variation on Measure 12 - I can do a bit more research here - https://www.shipcamouflage.com/usn_ca.htm - I do have the USN colours in my paint box. The USN went a long way with their camouflage, even the ( wooden ) decks being painted/stained.
I'll put up some sprue pictures tomorrow of the 188 parts, and no PE!
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Dave, I have the San Francisco in both 1/700 and 1/350 Trumpeter. Look forward to your build.

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave, I have the San Francisco in both 1/700 and 1/350 Trumpeter. Look forward to your build.

Cheers,
Richard
Richard,
the cruisers were originally almost identical, but modifications like the fitting of new radars, 40mm quad bofors, 20mm cannons, and removal of the 1.1" quad AA guns at differing dates caused them to look slightly different These mods were made as the cruisers came in for refit/repair. Unless you have a photograph of a ship at a specific date you can't really tell which ship is which - same goes for the camouflage! The Tuscaloosa is easy, as she only was in the Atlantic until December 1944, ( gunfire support at D-Day ) and seemed just to have one refit before heading to the Pacific, January 1945.
Do you favour waterline of full hull?
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Richard,
the cruisers were originally almost identical, but modifications like the fitting of new radars, 40mm quad bofors, 20mm cannons, and removal of the 1.1" quad AA guns at differing dates caused them to look slightly different These mods were made as the cruisers came in for refit/repair. Unless you have a photograph of a ship at a specific date you can't really tell which ship is which - same goes for the camouflage! The Tuscaloosa is easy, as she only was in the Atlantic until December 1944, ( gunfire support at D-Day ) and seemed just to have one refit before heading to the Pacific, January 1945.
Do you favour waterline of full hull?
Dave
Thanks for the info Dave, waterline for 1/700 and full hull for 1/350 depending on the end display but seascape dios are too big for the 1/350 for me.
Looks like I might be able to do the Tuscaloosa from the San Francisco by switching the armament around.

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks for the info Dave, waterline for 1/700 and full hull for 1/350 depending on the end display but seascape dios are too big for the 1/350 for me.
Looks like I might be able to do the Tuscaloosa from the San Francisco by switching the armament around.

Cheers,
Richard
Yes, I reckon the parts are identical for all the New Orleans class - the decals have all 3 names on there - the only difference in parts may be the aircraft supplied - The Tuscaloosa has 2 x SOC Biplanes..............
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yes, I reckon the parts are identical for all the New Orleans class - the decals have all 3 names on there - the only difference in parts may be the aircraft supplied - The Tuscaloosa has 2 x SOC Biplanes..............
Dave
I think I have some spare SOC biplanes in the stash of PitRoad stuff.

Cheers,
Richard

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Sprue shots....................

DSCF3330.JPGDSCF3332.JPGDSCF3335.JPGDSCF3339.JPGDSCF3342.JPGDSCF3345.JPGDSCF3331.JPG
Two SOC Seagull biplane spotters - decal sheet common to several models.............
DSCF3346.JPG
Instruction are the normal Trumpeter b&w line diagrams
DSCF3347.JPG
Colour profiles - camouflage measure 12
next post a few detail shots

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A few detail shots
DSCF3333.JPGDSCF3334.JPGDSCF3336.JPGDSCF3337.JPGDSCF3338.JPGDSCF3340.JPGDSCF3341.JPGDSCF3343.JPGDSCF3344.JPG
Quad 1.1" AA guns
Details aren't bad, but will need a fair clean up before use, quite a bit of flash, the moulds date to 2007. There aren't any PE parts, but at 1/700, I'm ambivalent about their use. US warships had their decks painted or stained 'deck blue', so no problems about painting a wooden deck!
I'm going to do a simple seascape base, using plastic card & DAS air drying putty, as I've done before. The Tuscaloosa spent most of WWII in the Atlantic, so a grey sea will be probable
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Cut a piece of plastic card, to act as a base, then edged it with some wooden moulding ( dolls house materials ) mitre cornered attached with superglue gel + kicker
DSCF3357.JPG
Card just big enough to show a bow wave and a stern wake - I'll glue the ship waterline baseplate.
DSCF3358.JPG
I'll have to scarify the surface a bit, so that the clay has a chance to bond to the plastic. The DAS will be added in very thin layers, with a day or so drying time between ( in a cool room ). I've found by experience that way will prevent cracks & shrinkage when drying!
DSCF3360.JPG
AK US Navy paints, and a new packet of DAS ( my old packet finally dried up, but it was about 3 years old ).
For those not familiar, DAS is an air drying natural clay, easy to work and easy to clean up.
After drying it can be sealed with dilute PVA, and painted normally
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
You. Certainly do jump from one genre to another. Looking forward to your build especially that paint job.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Hi Dave
You. Certainly do jump from one genre to another. Looking forward to your build especially that paint job.
Jim
Jim,
I'd done 3 cars in a row, so it was past the time I should change genres................
The paint job on this is comparatively easy - irregular splotches - some of the other 'Measures' have straight edge panels that really need masking.
This is the Light Cruiser USS Richmond in Measure 32........................
richmond measure 32.jpg
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
USS Tuscaloosa in Measure 12 ( modified ) pictures taken in Iceland 1942
Darker splotches over lighter paint - the Trumpeter call outs are Midnight Blue over Blue Gray - neither of which are USN names. The definitive website ( in post #1 ) just gives pairs of colours, so a little experimentation may be needed.
0403729.jpg0403730.jpg
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I scarified the base with a scriber.......................
DSCF3361.JPG
This just gives the clay something to key into
The clay is applied - a small chunk is pressed onto the surface - trying to keep an even thickness - I use my bare hands to do this ( as you can see by the finger prints! )- I have found that the clay sticks to my surgical latex gloves! The clay washes off easily, with just soap and water
DSCF3362.JPG
I gradually filled up the base, making sure the clay went to the edges.
DSCF3363.JPG
Not too concerned about the surface texture, once this has dried up for a day or so, I can add the surface waves & smooth the surface, with small amounts of clay.
This now goes in a cool place for 24hrs+ , if you apply the clay too thickly, or try to use heat to speed up the drying, then the clay will crack and fall off ( from past experience ).

What isn't a good idea!
I managed to spill a Latte Macchiato onto my keyboard, I hurriedly rinsed it & thought I'd got away with it, but no - intermittent errors.......... I had to dig out a spare keyboard. I'd been using the old keyboard for over 3 years, and adapting to another keyboard really slows my typing down :sad: I'll give it another rinse, take the keys off & see if I can revive it............
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice start Dave.

Hope you manage to rescue the keyboard. Did that with a laptop once the day we went on holiday, with a cup of tea.....

I yanked the battery out double quick, turned it upside down and once the worst had drained out, removed the keyboard gave it a rinse and when l went on holiday praying..... VERY fortunately it was all ok.

ATB

Andrew

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Good work on the dio base Dave. Not so good on the coffee drinking though...
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Nice start Dave.

Hope you manage to rescue the keyboard. Did that with a laptop once the day we went on holiday, with a cup of tea.....

I yanked the battery out double quick, turned it upside down and once the worst had drained out, removed the keyboard gave it a rinse and when l went on holiday praying..... VERY fortunately it was as all ok.

ATB

Andrew
If you ever manage to recover from a water incident with anything electronic, it's vital to copy everything you might want onto external media or another device, as some things can appear to be OK for a few days or weeks, then fail. Happened with my wife's phone - seems alright for about a week, then packed up and won't turn on. :sad:
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
It's only a keyboard, but you get used to the travel and feel of the keys - this spare one has quite a large travel on the keys, and I find that I've missed letters out typing at my normal speed!
Dave

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
It's only a keyboard, but you get used to the travel and feel of the keys - this spare one has quite a large travel on the keys, and I find that I've missed letters out typing at my normal speed!
Dave
Indeed, completely agree. Now lockdown is over, I work from home two or three days a week and in the office the other two or three and it's taken me a while to get used to the work keyboards.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
The base is away drying - I can get on with the construction of the model. After a bit of experimentation, I've sorted the colours for the upper hull. The base colour is Ocean Grey 5-O, with Sea Blue 5-S patches over the top. The deck is painted Deck Blue 20-B. It's only a small model, so it'll be brush painted
DSCF3364.JPG
I think that the superstructure can largely be assembled in modules, which will make painting much easier
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I seem to have spent quite a lot of time, today, sticking parts together, with not a lot to show for it!
DSCF3365.JPG
Those main turrets are a real pain, trying to get all the individual barrels to stay parallel....................
I'm doing all this, so I can spray prime all the smaller assemblies, before painting the decks & vertical surfaces on them - has to be brush work, there's no way I could mask for spraying! All bits are fitting well, just minor clean up needed. Tomorrow, I'll finish off the clay work on the base & let that thoroughly dry before beginning the painting of the sea.
Dave