Trumpeter .Ch tz s65 Tractor Diorama

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Tracks resin and Conversion now that’s my kinda build. Great pick John
Steve can I stand on your shoulders to see Mr Races build?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Lee. .
Let the fun begin ....might not be my kind of build by the middle of the tracks ! Let alone the resin:flushed:. Bring on the mud and water !Thats the part I'm looking fwd to.

John

Marty

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martin
Mornin John--nice to see u dive straight into another build--look forward to seeing the story of the dio developing---lots of luvly mud ????--im with Allen as I have just recently got this one for the stash --I think its ur influence on all things green!!!---and in fact only received the LZ engine set last week so ill be holding onto Steves ladder at the back trying to take notes....cheers, Marty

Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This Russian thing may be contagious. I recently obtained a T-62 from Petner's Panzers in 1/87. PaulE

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Morning Lee. .
Let the fun begin ....might not be my kind of build by the middle of the tracks ! Let alone the resin:flushed:. Bring on the mud and water !Thats the part I'm looking fwd to.

John
John
I’m sure you will exacute this build just fine with your fine modeling skills. I’ll be watching somewhere in the crowd. Have fun. Lee

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Most interesting. What gets me is a "an 18.5lt engine and only 65hp" - maybe Russian horses are stronger than weedy western ones :smiling5:
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A good evening from Race Towers.
A few thank you's are some progress photos.
Marty.........Yes mud, common stuff in Russia, and some water. Hope that sounds good.Glad to read you also have the engine set. Its a shame that Trumpeter didn't bother with the engine, must have been the additional cost, as most Russian Tractors ran with them off.
Paul.....Welcome, you as well :thumb2:, well l'm sure you will do a cracking job, a dio maybe ?
Lee.... Cheers, glad you have that feeling:upside:
Jim......Yes I though it would have been quite high, but looking at the other models of tractors , for example the stz3 , its engine size and output were 7.46 ltr Gasoline engine with the output rated at 52 . hp @1250 rpm.Going back to the St 65 the out put of 65bp was @ 850 rpm..

A few shots of progress.
IMG_2928.jpgX2.jpg
Taking suggestion from PMMS I carefully cleaned the outer edge of A9. It was so tight, remember to fit it the correct way round, with tha lip at the back.

IMG_2927.jpgX1.jpg
To the right can be seen the inner rollers to the side frames.

IMG_2935.jpgX6.jpg
Now fitted into the two part frame, very clean moldings with the slightest flash, you only notice it when lugs won't accept the part.

IMG_2934.jpgX6.jpg
That angled section has two pin sat the top right to locate, yes I can see the molding indents, but as this is going to be underneath I can't see ant point in filling them. The lower joining point in the center with the three rivets , I had to remove the pin, either the frame was slightly out or I was wrong , any way once glued it seemed ok.
That metal block is keeping a roller housing square while it dries. ( above, with the round section. top left )

IMG_2936.jpgX7.jpg
Hard to focus but the brass bit is pe, this is the outer-face of the idler wheel mounting. Two per side.

IMG_2930.jpgX3.jpg
About 2 / 3 mm long, and prone to taking flight at the first chance. This is what I spent some time crawling around the floor looking for it only to find it still on the bench !:angry: These had to be glued to the strip as shown below.
The tape held the strip still , just hope they all remain in place :sad:

IMG_2932.jpgX5.jpg

Well that's as far as I have got.
Hope you found it interesting, more to follow in the next few days.
Thanks for looking in, comments most welcome.

John .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice to see you are off and running. Looks like you have some nice injector marks to keep you busy.:angry:
I spent ages looking for a part once only to find it was on my shirt front:smiling5:
Keep up the great work

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nice to see you are off and running. Looks like you have some nice injector marks to keep you busy.:angry:
I spent ages looking for a part once only to find it was on my shirt front:smiling5:
Keep up the great work
HI Steve , as I said they are underneath, so whats the point , once they get covered in mud ! Yes pesky bits once had a piece of PE stuck to my thumb while I spend several minutes worrying where it has gone to.:hugging-face:
John.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Oh yes, some parts do weird things to beat the carpet monster. I once dropped a return roller, spent ages crawling around on the floor - had to give up and scratch a replacement. I found the missing part in my slipper, as I turned in for the night!
Dave

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
JR

Looks like you have started a new thread - "Where is the strangest place you have found a kit part after searching for it for ages". Clean answers only of course:smiling2:

Steve

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Dave, and I can imagine what you said.:flushed:
Steve .... yes sounds fun. :nerd:
John .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
You're up and running. Looks a challenging task with lots of fiddly bits but great start.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Yes indeed Jim.
Think this part on the lower half of the kit is the most fiddly, plus the tracks. The rest of the kit seems ok, some larger parts.But then have the engine, my first crack at resin. I have my mask read y and a new bottle of Flexi CA from VMS.
John ..

B

Bobby Dale

John just found this thread how you doing buddy great start , not a speed demon by any stretch but loads of Torque
Love it Bobby

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks.
Mick....... Your more than welcome..
Hi Bobby , good to have you along . Very slow indeed, ok when you were ploughing or carting through thick mud . Not good when the Germans were approaching ! Talking to a mate of mine who is an into engines, he said today it would have 16 cylinders , resulting in a much better hp .Very basic but did the job on farms well .

John.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening all . Steve has just pm 'd me to ask about the Earth Quake,we heard and felt nothing here last night.
Right onward. a good weeks building and some removal ! The lower section went well.
IMG_2953.JPG
Instructions saisd to fit those retaining u bolts before fitting the rail.......... bad idea , on this side the end one came off as I tried to fit the rail, resulting in making a wire one .
The other side .
IMG_2957.jpgX2.jpg
Made all wire ones, these will not be seen !
IMG_2960.JPG
Its all very well tech writers showing the edge view
a no may have been smarter and more helpful .
IMG_2963.JPG
Fitted these side deflectors for mud only to realise the engine kit has some nice PE ones , so off they will come .
IMG_3008.JPG
This is where I had go to this morning, 2nd error I had fitted the base of the engine into the frame. The kit has no internal engine parts at all just the engine covers so the under side of the engine would show. Now removed !!!
This next part is the resin, my first attempt, apart from some 2 part accessories. Deciding that the pdf file was too small on my tablet I printed off the whole 26 one sided sheets.

IMG_3012.JPG
Then put every part against the photos, the large ones are ok , but some of those smaller parts are really small . If you can see A7 on the center sheet left hand side its that small bit under the photoed part. Having the printed coppies was a real help. So sitting in the garden , mask and head set on I set too .
Using my new bottle of VMS Flexi PE ! I started to assemble.
All went ok I would fit those pipe like parts before the one in front if I was doing it again, as would have been easier to place the 4 parts on for gluing .

IMG_3017.JPG
IMG_3018.JPGIMG_3019.jpgX5.jpg

Not as bad as I was expecting, very fiddly as you can expect for me, I had three attempts at lining one of the parts on , just couldn't judge the depth as I tried to line some .05 mm bolt heads up :nerd:
Hope to get a little more done tomorrow as having cleaned the patio we ( Me under instruction ) need to move every thing back into Managements desired placings ready for her birthday bash on Sunday. when the hoard from Devon are due in .
Right comments please, one request can I use some normal plastic filler to touch up a few blemishes in the resin ? and does any one know of a driver figure.
Thanks for looking in .
John .

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
Wow... That is superbly detailed engine and work.... more.... :smiling3::smiling2::smiling::smiling::smiling2::smiling3::smiling5::smiling6::smiling6:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Greg .
I'm enjoying this build , but haven't got to the tracks yet !
John .