BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Some more progress

Tub cemented into location:

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2096.jpg

There is a 'plate' to cement into position around the tub but the fit is quite poor and there will need to be a fair amount of filling.
IMG_2097.jpg

Wings are now complete units. Parts need a little clean up.
IMG_2095.jpg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The undercarriage parts are ready for varnish after detail painting then they will get washes.
1B898470-EFC6-42EA-A735-6D0B7C5CA13D.jpeg

Time to deal with the canopy seam.... first the tools I am using with my new purchases, the Tamiya polishing compounds.

649A5012-FA53-48E3-A60D-C3F35E1AE21C.jpeg

Start by scraping the seam off with a knife.
7861BA0B-2D8E-4CB0-86C0-F9A95D33CB44.jpeg

Then through varying grades of sanding sponges and rubbing compound.
94FFF5D6-2D32-4A5F-85FD-9CC4C265F89C.jpeg
997A20F2-60CD-435F-A4C7-046F3860DF7A.jpeg
C47796BB-C9C6-432F-9630-EFE3952C68DA.jpeg
E4D79DB6-D1E6-48F7-8B8C-E003956881F1.jpeg

Masked up and sprayed
5818E175-8414-4318-A9F6-8C20E9F0ED1E.jpeg

The stores pylons
97BCEA58-93CB-4187-BB37-6923B22BAA0E.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
i am trying to decide on a stores lay out.

Naturally the centre pylon will carry a fuel tank and Sidewinders on the wing tips.

I am thinking of 2 GBU12’s on each wing attached to the the outer two pylons and an AGM-154 on each of the inner wing pylons. Or, perhaps just three GBU12s under each wing one per pylon.

But should I reserve one of the fuselage mountings for a targeting pod with this configuration? Anyone know as I have not found an answer to that.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
All I could find is the possible load outs, on page 15-33 (not “15 to 33” but “15-dash-33”) of this PDF:

F:A-18E:F weapon loadouts.png

It also mentions that a publication titled NWP 3-22.5-F/A-18E/F Vol. IV, A1-F18EA-TAC-020 contains the authorised combinations, but I’ve not been able to find a copy of that yet.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This is a complicated one Jakko. I have not found anything definitive on the web. Trumpeter are certainly no help. I am wondering if the instructions for the Revell E Or another E kit might have an answer. I will do some Googling on that tomorrow.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
It’s also not made any easier by the diagram above not mentioning weapons but pylons, launchers and racks, so you’ll still need to figure out which weapons can go on each of those … Luckily, typing the designation into Google tends to give answers to that quickly enough. It still doesn’t answer what combinations are actually allowed, though. Searching for "NWP 3-22.5-F/A-18E/F" (that is: “Google, I want this term exactly”) yields precisely two results for me: one is the PDF linked to above, the other isn’t useful here.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looking good Barry. You dealt with that seam in the canopy nicely.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I have moved on to fitting together the main airframe sub-assemblies. This really is not a good kit, the fit is terrible. I had a hint of a problem from how the many wing parts came together and various test fits. I have taken this slowly, test fitting, trying different approaches but found issues every way I turned.

Some pictures:

Due to difficulties I found in test fits getting the wings into position with the top and bottom fuselages joined, I decided to cement the wings to the top half of the fuselage first. It seemed the best way but, if I did it again, I would have used the bottom half to do this though in some ways it would have been more problematical.

IMG_2111.jpg

I am not sure whether you can make it out but I could not get a good fit at all. Get one part in the right place, another would be out. Nothing properly fitted the space it was meant to fit so I cemented it into position as best I could having checked to see if the bottom would fit over it. It seemed as if it would... Until I came to do it of course. I could not get it evenly clamped and it somehow must have shifted out of position and that added to my difficulties. Eventually I managed to bodge it together.

The top
IMG_2112.jpg

The bodging seemed to have done the trick and once filled, as in the photos, it does not look too bad though looking closely through my optivisor I can see a lot of issues.

Next the bottom part... Again nothing really fitted but I got it into place, lots of sanding and filling being needed. There were some big gaps that had to be dealt with. It was clear I might have issues with the nose so I left some 'wriggle room' a the front.
IMG_2113.jpg

Then the nose. It is not the best of fits generally to the top fuselage but looking at the place where it joins the rear fuselage I really dont think I left enough 'wriggle room' to get a fit.
IMG_2115.jpg
IMG_2116.jpg

Test fits told me that would be bad but it is even worse than I expected. The two photos above also show up some of the wing fit issues I contended with.

Later today I will try to force it together and glue it in place. I have a horrible feeling about this, I dont think the 'slack' is enough but I will try.

If it does not work then, no sweat I will just bin it. I only bought this kit because I could not get the Kinetic or Academy legacy F/A-18 and I could not be bothered with the awful Revell release, so I wont really consider it a loss. If I see the Kinetic one day I may well get that.

Watched this space - will I bin it or will it proceed to completion?

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I have moved on to fitting together the main airframe sub-assemblies. This really is not a good kit, the fit is terrible. I had a hint of a problem from how the many wing parts came together and various test fits. I have taken this slowly, test fitting, trying different approaches but found issues every way I turned.

Some pictures:

Due to difficulties I found in test fits getting the wings into position with the top and bottom fuselages joined, I decided to cement the wings to the top half of the fuselage first. It seemed the best way but, if I did it again, I would have used the bottom half to do this though in some ways it would have been more problematical.

View attachment 388866

I am not sure whether you can make it out but I could not get a good fit at all. Get one part in the right place, another would be out. Nothing properly fitted the space it was meant to fit so I cemented it into position as best I could having checked to see if the bottom would fit over it. It seemed as if it would... Until I came to do it of course. I could not get it evenly clamped and it somehow must have shifted out of position and that added to my difficulties. Eventually I managed to bodge it together.

The top
View attachment 388865

The bodging seemed to have done the trick and once filled, as in the photos, it does not look too bad though looking closely through my optivisor I can see a lot of issues.

Next the bottom part... Again nothing really fitted but I got it into place, lots of sanding and filling being needed. There were some big gaps that had to be dealt with. It was clear I might have issues with the nose so I left some 'wriggle room' a the front.
View attachment 388864

Then the nose. It is not the best of fits generally to the top fuselage but looking at the place where it joins the rear fuselage I really dont think I left enough 'wriggle room' to get a fit.
View attachment 388863
View attachment 388862

Test fits told me that would be bad but it is even worse than I expected. The two photos above also show up some of the wing fit issues I contended with.

Later today I will try to force it together and glue it in place. I have a horrible feeling about this, I dont think the 'slack' is enough but I will try.

If it does not work then, no sweat I will just bin it. I only bought this kit because I could not get the Kinetic or Academy legacy F/A-18 and I could not be bothered with the awful Revell release, so I wont really consider it a loss. If I see the Kinetic one day I may well get that.

Watched this space - will I bin it or will it proceed to completion?
HI Barry NO NO NO NO PLEASE PLEASE DONT BIN IT as id love to see this plane through completion ? as I must admit ive not properly looked through my super hornet kit an wont till ive finished tiger but you binned the AV10 an that was a shame an im sure you had your reasons as you said that you've never had such a bad fittin kit well ok on that but im sure the hornet is not that bad is it ?
chris:cold-sweat::disappointed:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
HI Barry NO NO NO NO PLEASE PLEASE DONT BIN IT as id love to see this plane through completion ? as I must admit ive not properly looked through my super hornet kit an wont till ive finished tiger but you binned the AV10 an that was a shame an im sure you had your reasons as you said that you've never had such a bad fittin kit well ok on that but im sure the hornet is not that bad is it ?
chris:cold-sweat::disappointed:
I all depends Chris. I will get in there later and provided I can get a reasonable join between the front and rear fuselage then thats great. I do have my doubts though, you can see the gap and I dont know whether brute force will get it to line up.

The Bronco was a real shocker in every sense, much worse overall than this one but this particular problem, if I cannot correct it, is a potentially fatal one.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I all depends Chris. I will get in there later and provided I can get a reasonable join between the front and rear fuselage then thats great. I do have my doubts though, you can see the gap and I dont know whether brute force will get it to line up.

The Bronco was a real shocker in every sense, much worse overall than this one but this particular problem, if I cannot correct it, is a potentially fatal one.

WELL Barry don't give up yet before havin a good ole try an its on the underside so a little filler to build up to the other level if the other side wont compress but if I have this problem on mine I would try an get around it by fittin a very thin cutting disk to my Dremel an gently cutting horizontally back wards to have a gap on both sides then force the fusalarge down an then glue an it should be lined up with the other front section but that's me anyway good luck Barry
chris

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well, sometimes the right solution is the application of brute force....
IMG_2117.jpg

There was a loud clunk as I beared down on the model, a seam had split, but I do believe that if the cement holds problem is over.... a bit of a gap to fill but that is nothing to worry about.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well, sometimes the right solution is the application of brute force....
View attachment 388911

There was a loud clunk as I beared down on the model, a seam had split, but I do believe that if the cement holds problem is over.... a bit of a gap to fill but that is nothing to worry about.
SEE Barry a litte force an you are back in business again as for me it was a heartstopper when you said you might bin the model as im hopein to see this hornet out to sting an in wonderfull colours as you make some cracker of some models so lets forget the bin thing an onwards an upwards lol an while I think of it lets just hope that whatever went crack is not noticeable
chris
chris

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The repair held, I have filled the seam and the gap, tonight some final surface prep and I will spray primer.

Unlike my normal practise I am not black basing simply because I want a more toned down weathering. This being a 'celebration' paint scheme I am assuming that it would look relatively fresh. So I am, going to prime in pale grey, not usually a good idea on grey plastic but it is the best option to produce a 'cleaner' aircraft. There will still be weathering simply to avoid it looking like painted plastic. Hopefully I will get a start on this tonight.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Some significant progress made.

I have primed the sub-assemblies. It is not good using grey primer on grey plastic specialty when the two are almost identical shades...
7C349793-8691-42E2-84AB-FF5D48DDA375.jpeg

above are subs that need some seam treatment with Mr Dissolved Putty And sanding. After that they will get another primer coat.

below are subs that are not in need of extra work other than painting detailing and weathering. A few parts are shown that have already gone through at least some of those processes.
894EB555-B5DE-41D7-8574-2AE5520151A8.jpeg

on another thread was a discussion about masking. Here is how I do it.

First I fill the wheel well with blue roll (I get this cheap I’m a large supply, kitchen roll is as good). This has two jobs, it catches stray paint that gets under the masking tape and it gives something for masking tape to stick to..
5B06042B-7CDA-41F3-A9B3-306FB9F9C140.jpeg

I then start using small bits of various sized masking tape, some just torn from the roll but some times it is best to cut it carefully to position it.
41CE3F06-6127-4211-8E43-462E7E722769.jpeg

work slowly, bit my bit, a cocktail stick helps to ouch it into position and tamp it to flat surfaces and edges.
63310D0E-4090-45B1-82B5-ED4110F08D76.jpeg

here are all the u/c wells done
F60DD96E-67D8-4392-BCE2-3153029A591C.jpeg
Same approach to the office.
A8264328-FEF4-48E9-B0B2-839889F88836.jpeg

then
8F2716F3-60D4-4C28-AB94-7D8A92BBF5EC.jpeg

note the white Tamiya curved masking tape. It works well.

I will prime this soon.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I primed the airframe
B12B304F-6BBB-4F0E-9041-7CE76825FD80.jpeg

There are some gaps and other flaws highlighted by the primer that now need dealing with. So out comes Mr Surfacer 500 and Mr Dissolved Putty.
322B668D-F97A-4CE7-8136-E1B2EB9A366C.jpeg
there is a fair bit of work needed mostly in the nose area above.

I then went on to start spraying sub-assemblies.
Light Ghost Grey first
F205D7B0-8C00-4507-896B-D8BFFCDAE0B5.jpeg
the subs above now need some decals, in some cases and weathering on all of them.

below, these are painted Light Ghost Grey where needed, Olive Drab bombs, Dark Ghost Grey on the top of the stabs and black fins/drop tank. All these parts are awaiting additional detail painting some of which will be sprayed.

1821E955-2B8E-4775-AF7A-22CF7D896317.jpeg

0829C5EB-D1A1-48BE-BFCF-009D502033CA.jpeg

next session I will be doing more corrective work to the airframe before repriming. Hopefully I will also get to do some detail painting.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Barry lookin good im really pleased you dint bin it as this this build will help me when I start my superhornet in yrs to come but it will an I can look back on this build for any small probs to be careful of cheers an lookin forward to more pics :thumb2:
chris

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's good to see that you have managed to wrangle this into excellent shape. It would have been a shame to consign it to the bin!
Cheers
Steve