Trumpeter F/A-18E Super Hornet 1/32

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Barry this is not critisum of your buld as I think its wonderfull but on the orange back sheet it shows that the bottom an sides are in white an I just wondered why you did not paint it like that ?
chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The back and white will be easily matched with paint.
I … would not count on that. I suspect the white especially will be hardest to get right, whether you use a decal or paint. Chances are that the white decal bits are a little translucent, so it’s not actually as white as the paint you’ve got in a bottle, while if you stick a spare bit of white decal over it, you’ll also end up with a lighter patch there because of that translucency.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I … would not count on that. I suspect the white especially will be hardest to get right, whether you use a decal or paint. Chances are that the white decal bits are a little translucent, so it’s not actually as white as the paint you’ve got in a bottle, while if you stick a spare bit of white decal over it, you’ll also end up with a lighter patch there because of that translucency.
That is correct, I have experienced the same in the past, but not in this case.... The reason I said it would be easy is because the white touch ups are limited to a couple of fine pin pricks, a fine pointed brush and a perfect result....... the black likewise.

For the red, I did manage to get an acceptable mix for the nooks and crannies that it’s intended for. The patches worked perfectly, disappearing once the solution dried.

Here they are:

55E85C3B-05DA-43EE-9AB4-7EF65B8918CB.jpeg
Once I get a few coats of varnish over the fins they should look about right.

I am not a fan of doing paint mixes and I used my water based acrylics as they are best for the brush. The problem is getting the same mix if you need it again. It is unlikely that i will need to use it again but rather than just throw it away I taped over the tin pallet with sellotape in the hope it slows down the drying out for a few days until I definitely won’t need it again. I will then just throw away the pallet. I don’t know if it will work, if it doesn’t then nothing is lost. Worth a try, besides it is unlikely to be needed.
5635F7A8-1F3A-4E99-943C-345BABE3C5AB.jpeg

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
HI Barry this is not critisum of your buld as I think its wonderfull but on the orange back sheet it shows that the bottom an sides are in white an I just wondered why you did not paint it like that ?
chris
I am not sure what you are talking about. It has been painted as per the guidance with the decals, a light ghost grey underside and dark ghost grey topside with white wheel wells. Paints identified via their FS numbers.

Trumpeter's instructions though do say the missiles should be white but that is wrong, light ghost grey is the correct colour for those.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I am not sure what you are talking about. It has been painted as per the guidance with the decals, a light ghost grey underside and dark ghost grey topside with white wheel wells. Paints identified via their FS numbers.

Trumpeter's instructions though do say the missiles should be white but that is wrong, light ghost grey is the correct colour for those.
HI Barry i aploigise for my thread on colours if you have used the correct colours ok but on the orange backin sheet to me the underside looks white but its proberly just how they have printed it then
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Final fittings....

Jut a few pics, all pretty much as expected.

View attachment 390518View attachment 390519View attachment 390520

Completed thread to post later
HI Barry fantastic work on her an thank goodness the decals came out ok an yes i know you had to do a lot on the big tail decals but it shows out your skills to me anyway if mine comes up half as good as this i'll be pleased an its really great to see a nice colourfull build as well but when you said you was gonna bin it i shudderd to think of such a beautfull model bein binned an i will be weary of that fusalarge problem when i do evevntually get to buildin mine but to me you are a premier builder an i shall be a bit sad to see you go back to W/W 2 aircraft as to me you are the main builder of these big scale modern jets an i just love to to go through your build stages an pics several times now brillant building an finishin

chris

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
excellent job Barry,
it's come out really well despite the early fit issues, top work once again.. :thumb2: