Trumpeter Graf Spee start 2016

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good afternoon all

Started then stalled this, have now added a wood deck kit and bought mr color paints
20210903_113109.jpg20210903_113204.jpg20210903_113209.jpg20210903_113243.jpg

Decks in place, need to add a strengthing piece between the two decks and also one turret done and some superstructure.

Bob

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Good afternoon all

Started then stalled this, have now added a wood deck kit and bought mr color paints
View attachment 432836View attachment 432837View attachment 432838View attachment 432839

Decks in place, need to add a strengthing piece between the two decks and also one turret done and some superstructure.

Bob
Very nice start there Bob :thumb2: ,
This particular ship has always held a fascination for me,probably due to it`s ignominious demise!
That deck stuff really looks the business.... i shall follow closely:cool:,
Andy

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks All, going to attempt the camo and false waves.

If it goes pear shaped i can always wreck it like the real thing ;):thumb2:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Bob,
with regard to the wooden deck - make sure all the cutouts are removed from the veneer, trial fit before even thinking of how to peel the backing off! I thoroughly clean the deck with IPA, then spray the base colour all over. It pays to turn your phone off & let the guard dogs loose to prevent interruptions! Don't press it down immediately, make sure that it all fits as well as possible - it's fairly tough stuff, but it does have it's limits! When you're happy burnish down, I use a clean cotton bud & cocktail sticks for the little corners. Ypu mght need to do this a couple of times, hours apart. I've used an acrylic varnish after applying the deck - it seals it & any later accidents with paints can be wiped off!
DSCF1899.JPG
This is the Tamiya 1/700 Gneisenau, with the Hunter wooden deck - not a perfect fit, but at that scale, near enough!
Good Luck
Dave

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bob,
with regard to the wooden deck - make sure all the cutouts are removed from the veneer, trial fit before even thinking of how to peel the backing off! I thoroughly clean the deck with IPA, then spray the base colour all over. It pays to turn your phone off & let the guard dogs loose to prevent interruptions! Don't press it down immediately, make sure that it all fits as well as possible - it's fairly tough stuff, but it does have it's limits! When you're happy burnish down, I use a clean cotton bud & cocktail sticks for the little corners. Ypu mght need to do this a couple of times, hours apart. I've used an acrylic varnish after applying the deck - it seals it & any later accidents with paints can be wiped off!
View attachment 432865
This is the Tamiya 1/700 Gneisenau, with the Hunter wooden deck - not a perfect fit, but at that scale, near enough!
Good Luck
Dave
Excellent many thanks Dave

Was going to ask for advice ref wooden decks, perfect timing!!
Hi Bob
2016 - deserves to be finished. I thought the film "Battle of the River Plate" was most enjoyable. Typical cast from the 1950s.
Jim
Cheers Jim

After the HMS Daring disaster, it can only go one way lol

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Right, used a garden blower to get rid of the dust and cobweds!

Started work on the pointy bits
20210913_141749.jpg
Next secondary and AA guns

Thinking of going mad and doing a seascape, showing Graf Spee about to let rip.

Now folks, good idea or one sea too many lol

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice one Bob ..... Will follow along.....

Remember the film from my youth. A great story and from what I recall one where the outcome was heavily influenced by the British deception plan hurriedly put into place, keeping the Spee in harbour until real ships could make their way to the River Plate

I'm not an expert on anything naval and certainly not this action and I know the Spee received a large number of hits, which in some cases were not insignificant. However, I've often wondered what would have happened if Captain Langsdorff had taken a different course of action when faced with just Ajax and Achilles, after Exeter had withdrawn..... We will never know.

ATB.

Andrew

PS do you think you should change your site name to Bobtheship??? I don't think I've seen you do a Stug this year have I??? ;) :smiling5:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Andrew,

I think it was HMS Exeter who hit Graf Spee's diesel fuel processing system, this was the main reason for her going into harbour

StuG B is next up or possibly the 1/16 monster!