Trumpeter LCM 3 - radio controlled

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
OK Peter lookin forward to seein it sailin as it will be sailin way before my tiger an im following your build with delight
chris

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
This is all very interesting, moving back a couple of rows when the wet tests starts.
John .

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Totally missed this one Peter. Will keep the umbrella up over JR in the cheap seats. Good luck

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
John - welcome, sit anywhere as long as you can reach me with the life belt.
Steve - I'm sure John will appreciate the cover
Paul - you are welc0me to share Steve brolly
Bob - if it sinks I'll try to make sure it is the other end of the pond.

Hopefully the speed cpntroller will arrive before the Easter break, in the meantmie, back to sculpting ...

R

Rex

Evening folks

Brad - I think. May have caught some of tht series, if it is the one I am thinking about he had a working helcopter on it!

Chirs - a visit to my local model shop has resulted in my buying a 6 channel r/c set! A bit OTT but the 2 channel options were some of those trigger hand sets designed for cars more than boats or a Futaba set. The 6 channel set was only £3 more than the Futaba, it comes with a second receiver which may be useful since if this works I may have a go at the slightly smaller LCVP.

Welcome Ralph and Marty

Ian - thanks, I am quite pleased, the prop and motor shafts look aligned.

I have added the fittings for the 2 rudders - simple vertical tubes out of brass, fixed with Araldite:

View attachment 336353

For the rudders I used the kit parts glued to 1mm wire. I was not convinced about how strong the join would be so I used some thin metal (ex tomato paste tube), wrapping it around the rudder and the plastic and wire.

View attachment 336361

Now I an just waiting for the speed comtroller to arrive before I can start to fit the R/c in place .
Could you not just use 'tank steering' using a couple of modified servos?

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Rex - this is where my knowledge, or lack of it shows, but if have two servo motors then surely each would need their own speed controller?

Peter

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Now that Euro is over I can get back to this project. I have dry fitted the steering servo and steering gear as well as the two motors.

Tomorrow i’ll add the radio gear and finalize all of the screws and nuts, at which point she should be ready for a test run.
F5F0F593-C0BC-4057-8BB2-8FAD3346132E.jpeg

Unfortunately, or fortunately, our pond is out of bounds due to these visitors - 10 duckings.
6BA924CA-50AF-49DC-A5BF-4150B38AFD2D.jpeg

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
setting aside other projects I decided to plough on with this one and finish it.

The first photo is of the radio gear - it all fits into what was the engine room on the full sized craft:

A57D7A9D-F03A-497A-B7F9-11BDAB9C8033.jpeg

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
And here is a short video of it in a swimming pool:

Video here

I am calling this one finished now. It was a bit of fun and a challenge - years since I did an RC work.

Peter

D

Deleted member 6559

Oh, endless hours of fun there Peter! Great stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Excellent piece of modeling/engineering. Was that full throttle? A front weighted truck would make a great load & bring the bow down a bit too. PaulE

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Paul - yes that was pretty much full throttle. I expect that anybody with more experience then me could have got a better motor/ propeller combination but it was fast enough. It could do with a bit of weighting to balance it a bit more correctly and bring the front down a bit.

Peter & Paul - yes hours of fun.

Peter

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Peter IM SORRY i missed the ending an sailing of your lc an i know im a bit to late but very well done to fit the motors an r/c in such a small craft im impressed
chris

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Paul - yes that was pretty much full throttle. I expect that anybody with more experience then me could have got a better motor/ propeller combination but it was fast enough. It could do with a bit of weighting to balance it a bit more correctly and bring the front down a bit.

Peter & Paul - yes hours of fun.

Peter
That looks excellent Peter, love (and envy) the tech wizardry! My wiring skills end at det cord and I don't think that's the look you're going for! :tears-of-joy:
Steve