Trumpeter USS North Carolina BB-55 - 1/700

First Name
Gary
Bought this in a "damaged" box sale half price. Wanted to build a 1/350 but this will do for starters. But wow, the parts are so many and so teeny weeny. But I'll enjoy that a lot. Not quite sure when I'll start but thought I would put it up here.

Ship Box.jpg

Ship Sprues.jpg

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
THAT should keep you busy gary are you doin it in a dio with seascape ?
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
No Chris.

Just as it is on its stand. I have shelf space for that type of display. Might try a dio some time in the future though
WELL be nice to see the build done as she a hansom ship I love bb ships love to build one in 1/72 scale but I fear how big it would be but boy what a model that would be
chris

First Name
Gary
It's a different mind set to aircraft thats for sure. But it is a lovely ship and patience is the watch word. Given how sub atomic in size some of the parts are any tips on when to apply any paint Chris ? Do I build then spray some primer or build and paint the individual parts ? When do I do the deck, which I'll do in my own mix to get the deck blue, which I think is a sort of grey/blue. Only 9 colours in all and a couple of thse gold and yellow are minimal so 7 really 4 of those are a grey and 3 blues. I might be a bit creative but keep close to the minimalist themes these ships had

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
GARY I build then spray some primer an build and paint the whole units parts ? then fit on the ship when you have painted the ships decks
chris

First Name
Gary
That makes sense. With so many tiny parts such as small cranes and guns I wasn't sure if to paint them, light grey, on the sprue and then fit. The units I can see where build and paint seperately. I have a 0 and 00 newton & winsor brush set so can do the fine work. Its an odd camo design with huge stripes of dark navy blue and light grey across most things. Looks very nice but will be a had painting job for sure.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
That makes sense. With so many tiny parts such as small cranes and guns I wasn't sure if to paint them, light grey, on the sprue and then fit. The units I can see where build and paint seperately. I have a 0 and 00 newton & winsor brush set so can do the fine work. Its an odd camo design with huge stripes of dark navy blue and light grey across most things. Looks very nice but will be a had painting job for sure.

HI again Gary as I said build the parts togeather then primer paint then top paint that parts colour 's then I pack my small parts away in the box ready for when you need them as that's how I will do on my tiger build so all in all you are makin sevral small parts to fit to the main model when its ready to receive them an yes I see what you mean about the camo but if it me doin this I would just find the postion of where each part goes an if its in the blue camo then paint it blue or if in the grey then paint it grey an you say it will be hard paintin job that's where planning ahead comes in just think things through when you are building sure there will a few probs like im goin through now on my tiger build but if it was too easy then there would be no challenges to build the model BUT most of all enjoy the paintin an building of the model
all best to you gary an happy modelin i'll be following your build as I love them battle ships
chris

First Name
Gary
Thanks again Chris. It really is a different planning process than aircraft in quite a few areas. You can do similar with planes but most of teh time you build linear with a few pieces seperate until late on. But I can see with these boats that building in in specific units and treating almost as a seperate mini model is better. I've not stuck too many tiny cranes and hoists on yet so will sit down and have a think about whats next.

After 30 years as a project manager it should be simple right ? :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy::thinking:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Gary.
I've done quite a few of these great 1/700 ships.
I paint the hull, decks then any 'Dazzle camouflage' and only then do I add the bits and pieces. It is far easier to do the dazzle and or decks, with all the bits out of the way.

Personally, I wouldn't bother painting all the smaller bits to match the camo. colour. I leave them whatever colour they should be without the camo.

Having written the above, I'm sure other modellers have a different approach to the painting process, it's just the above way works for me.....

The painting is relatively straight forward. It's all the rigging that destroys the will to live, but it has to be done.

Good luck with the build when she's on the stocks!

Ron

First Name
Gary
I agree on the tiny parts on the decks. Leaving the small bits until later seems to be a general consensus and makes total sense

Couldn’t resist starting so have glued the upper hull and painted the deck. The fun begins

First Name
Gary
I'll post some photos tomorrow when its daylight. But these ships are addictive and I've completed the upper structures and stuck them to the deck but boy was that intricate. But oh so much fun and time just flies by. I'm glad I've got a wooden floor so finding the tiny parts that ping off the tweezers is fairly easy. I'm also going to make a practice seascape out of 9mm MDF and filler as I've got that to hand. If I get time I'll PVA and paint at the same time but baby steps....

Last edited:
First Name
Gary
Well, for a build I was going to leave until later on I couldn't resist and once I started I was hooked.

Need to complete the main build, paint and then fit the small guns etc so I can camo them to where they are going. Then I'll do the dio and see how that looks.

USS Deck.jpg

USS Super.jpg

USS Whole.jpg

First Name
Gary
I'm considering airbrushing the model light grey for one colour then hand brush the Navy blue camo on top rather than try and be too clever with making etc. I'll have a think but I've already done the deck so I'll probably still hand paint the camo

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice progress Gary.
Just a thought. Is there any need to paint the small ordinance the same as the camo.?

First Name
Gary
I don't think so Ron. I'm really enjoying the small detail on this and will probably paint the small guns a Vallejo Air grey or gunmetal all with a 0 brush. Fiddly but as I say I'm finding that bit fun. I must get out more :flushed:

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Amen to that brother - fiddly but fun!

Now you've cut your marine teeth on 1/700, have a go at a 1/1200 warship. I recommend the Bismark or Yamato Now they are fun, and well worth all the cursing.... :upside: :thumb2: