Trying something new - When do you paint the Bogeys

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
So i'm trying my first 1/35th Tank build and have started with an Airfix Pz 35T.

Quick basic question, when do you paint the wheels and bogeys,

Do you paint the wheels and bogeys as details finish paint the hull then attach ?

Tips welcome on best approach

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Depends on your personal preference really - I prefer to assemble pretty much everything and then paint but there are lots of people that like to paint in sub assemblies then stick them together

You could always try one way on each side and see what you are happiest with

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
What Simon said: try a few methods and see which you prefer. Speaking for myself, I like to leave wheels and/or bogies separate as far as possible because I find it easier to paint them that way. You probably have three options: build the entire bogies and add them to the model before painting, build the bogies but attach them after painting, or see if you can leave the wheels out of the bogies and install them after painting (with the bogies already on the tank). That last one may be difficult or impossible, depending on the bogie design, though.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I paint in sub assemblies as well.....if you don’t then some areas will be hard to reach.....

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Thx everyone think I'll go with sub assemblies

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I agree with everything that has been said but as you do more models with wheels and tracks and of varying scales you will soon find yourself an expert in painting them on and off the model as each build needs to be tackled in different ways. I however do everything possible to paint them individually and then add them to the model. Let us know how you get on.