Tu-160 Blackjack - any thoughts?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
zvezda blackjack.jpg

I have had this in the stash for a while, and I'm pondering on how to display it. It's a big beast, even in 1/144, about 370mm long, and the spread wingspan the same. I'd like to show it with the wings in supersonic position BUT I think I read somewhere that the Blackjack never folds it's wings on the ground. I've looked around, and not yet found a picture to contradict this!
To display it in flight looks like the answer, it has an unusual feature, in that a wing fence is extended in supersonic flight ( just outboard of the engines ) - not seen with wings spread. ( picture for discussion purposes only )
tu-160-heavy-supersonic-long-range-bomber-1024x768.jpg

Anyone have any info/pictures on the wings spread/folded/fences?
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Tony,
I think for aesthetic reasons, the fully swept look is for me! I don't know why, but the 160 looks much sleeker than the similar B-1
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
One thing that really catches my eye is the sheer size of the undercarriage legs!, they look more like parts of a bridge!
Dane

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
A little further research shows that the Tu-160 has it's wings spread on the ground, to keep it's centre of gravity forward - with them swept - it's a tailsitter. Stands are used under the tail when the aircraft is parked.
Dave

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Big, clear plastic stands? :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Why don’t they just put a lump of lead in the nose like the rest of us? :smiling3:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
And pray tell what would protect the crew from the radiation from the nuclear missiles if you borrow their lead shielding to make the nose stay down.
Would that bother the powers that be .:smiling2: