Tunisian Tiger '243'

First Name
Wouter
Hi everyone,

A couple of weeks ago I decided to take a queen from the shelves.
It's a Tiger I which saw service in Africa during WWII

Some of you might remember it. It's a Tiger I of the second Kompanie of the s.Pz.Abt. 501. The second company had it's own distinct features but most people will think of 1st comp. Tigers when one speaks about an African Tiger I.
When I started the build in 2012 (!) there were no kits to depict a Tunisian Tiger I - other than an older inaccurate Tamiya 'DAK' Tiger I kit (no such thing as a 'DAK' Tiger exists. The heavy tank battalions or schwere Panzer Abteilungen which were deployed in the African Theatre never were part of the Deutsches Afrika Korps and thus aren't to be called like that. For some reason that's an error even modelling companies make up till this day) or a very rare and expensive Dragon kit.
So I decided to use Dragon kit 6600 (initial Tiger) as a base and add changes. The etchwork comes from Voyager models.

Tiger 243 is quite famous together with 241 from a set of photos where they just arrived in Tunisia 1943 and were en route from Bizerte to Manouba. These two Tigers carried a lot of jerrycans on the turret roof and that appealed to me. Apparantly it hasn't been modelled often so in way an original subject to portray ^^. In the past David Byrden pointed out that I made some inaccuraries so I'm busy adjusting them. The crew got painted but was never very happy with it. So they are stripped of paint and I'm busy doing some surgery.
2433ml.jpg
The road from Bizerte to Manoube was a well maintained road, but for propaganda purposes 243 needed to go off road and drive up the bank of the road. Probably the most famous photo of 243
50124_tank_tiger_zps924879bf.jpg

First some photos of the build how it was.
Afrika Tiger 49.jpg
Afrika Tiger 63.jpg
Afrika Tiger 64.jpg
Afrika Tiger 65.jpg
Afrika Tiger 66.jpg
Afrika Tiger 67.jpg
Afrika Tiger 68.jpg
Afrika Tiger Commander (1).jpg
The two Alpine Miniatures figures were painted but I wasn't so happy with the result anymore. So last week I stripped them of paint and applied some surgery last couple of days. I also started changing some of the accuracies. If you look closely at the older photos, you can see that the tow cable ends were towards the rear of the engine compartment. This was correct for earlier production vehicles of the Tiger but 243 had the tow cable ends on the front of the upper hull. this can be noticed at one of the surgery photos.
Afrika Tiger Commander (8).jpg
Afrika Tiger Commander (9).jpg
Afrika Tiger Commander (10).jpg
Afrika Tiger Commander (11).jpg
Still, always a bit scary to cut up expensive and well designed figures :D

That's all for today ^^

Cheers

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Wouter,
Now that looks like fun....coming on nicely mate:thumb2:

Just started an early production Tiger Myself and have been using info from David’s site, missing lynx and a really good book to build a specific vehicle.

Looking fwd to seeing more :smiling4:

First Name
Wouter
Hi Si,

Thanks matey. And yeah David's site is a treasure and if you have questions the chap answers. Sometimes he pops even in a thread without expecting him ^^. Now you know I'm a Tiger buff so would like to see yours chap. And which book are you using for reference?

Cheers

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Wouter
Beautifully built Tiger. That Voyager PE is very nice. After 7 years it deserves to be finished. Looking forward to the rest - especially the painting.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Wouter, nice...this ought to be finished surgery and all. It's hard to put paint over all that bling but it's got to be done. Looking forward to it.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I thought it was a bit much of a coincidence that that same turret number of Tiger gets built on two different forums … (Of course, who am I to talk? :smiling3:)

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I’m using this book. Loads of useful info in it......
8EAA631D-0F0E-4A77-8EBC-1A01CFEEC554.jpeg

This is the vehicle I’m building. Tiger 332 from Schwere panzer Abteilung 503.
097C8E9C-8EB1-46B5-9188-52F566AFE839.jpeg
Picture for discussion purposes only.
I’m using Tamiya 35216 as my base kit, AFV club indy tracks, replacement barel, recovery cables and some bits from an Aber PE set:surprised:
Have only just started cleaning up parts and working out what I need to change/remove, so nothing really to show as yet.

First Name
Wouter
Hi Jim, glad to have you on board mate, and thanks ^^

Hi Richard, yeah it will be hard. This Tiger had a predecessor which one me some gongs as naked kit. When I primed her something went wrong and stripping the paint made it worse, got the whole model destroyed. Decided to have a second go after that which resulted in this one. Hope I don't mess that up again :D

Ha, Jakko, what are the odds ey :tongue-out3:

Si, that's a great book, it's one of many I have and I still use it to this day. Speaking about your Tiger 332: that's the last model of mine which made it into an article in Military Modelling magazine before it's demise. I built it in 1/48 scale after doing quite some research. Looking forward to see you build it!
Kursk Tiger (24).jpg
Kursk Tiger (26).jpg

Cheers

D

Deleted member 6559

Very blingy and beautifully built Wouter. The surgery on the figures looks great.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Wouter,
Good to see you posting again and what a way to come back great work on the additions and changes.

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
WOW Wouter... that is something... l'm sure that when you will paint it and weather it will be awesome.... it's already super....

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
The wanderer returns. How have you been mate? Great to see you up and running again with the Tiger.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Bloody lovely work Wouts, it's good to see you back at the bench, looking forward to more updates on this as it moves from the shelf to the front line.. :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Wouts good to see you.

What a model, deserves to be finished. I'm impressed with all the bling, some very fiddly parts there.Think that rear bin is a master piece of bending, well done mate.
Hope the family are all well .

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Hi there Wouter, be interesting to see you finish the tiger, it looks nice with all the brass as it is!