Two More Dragon 1/16 Figures

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter,

Quality work even if it is slow progress.

Terrible journey home last night due to the extinction protests!
I do understand their agenda, but being trapped on a hot bus for an hour doesn't make you anything but hot and angry.
Sadly, the only ones who can change things, are no where near being touched by their protests!
Another 5 days of protests to go!
Hope you have a good day with thee jacket, and no protesters when you step outside either!

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Hopefully I'll have a bit more time to model today.

I was held up on the way to work by climate change protests in the 1990s - Streatham High Road blocked for hours. I completely sympathised with their agenda, but sitting on a number 109 bus for hours was not fun (London buses - people just don't know how to behave themselves for the common good).

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

OK, the first one has hit the bin. I just couldn't paint it, got frustrated and angry, and then decided that life is too short.

So, on to the next:

100_5009.JPG

Sprue shots:

100_5016.JPG100_5017.JPG

Not so much care taken by Dragon with this one. The fit left a bit to be desired and the sprue attachment points were way to big. However, he's built and ready to paint:

100_5018.JPG

I've swapped some of the kit parts for better Tamiya offerings (the darker plastic) and added a couple of extra pieces of equipment.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Sorry to hear that Peter but you’re right life is too short to be stuck in the mud on something that frustrates you to build that’s what I do Bin it or put it aside and move on

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter,

Sorry to hear you have had to feed the bin again, but that is life some days.

The new one looks a little frosty, though the colour on the box art looks odd?

The background is quite a unique photo, I have the front photo of the Pz IV and crew as my 1st retirement project

Its going to be another hot one too, not always good for your paint

Hopefully a better day travelling, we will see!

Have a good day and be patient with the weather

Keep your palette wet

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - Just couldn't get the paint right on the first one - perhaps I've been doing too much field grey recently?

Steve - Yes, I think the colour is wrong. The parka should be either mouse grey, field grey or reed green. I'm going for reed green. Also, there should be a seam down the front and back, so I'm going to leave the join as it is - sanding it completely away would flatten the detail anyway.

The hot weather is curdling the paint somewhat, so I'll try and start early to beat the heat. I presume your office is air-conditioned, lucky man?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 4539

Nice one Peter :smiling3:.
I will be painting a face tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers Ralph

I tried painting the hood this afternoon, but the heat instantly curdled the paint - went the consistency of cottage cheese.

Good luck with the head.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Another great head, shame about the weather being too much for the paint.

I guess its earlier up or more assembly and prep work?

It might be getting a little cooler, with the rain and clouds?

Unfortunately the office is quite old and has been re purposed several times.

All we have is air circulation, without much conditioning!

Someone on the 9th floor sneezes, and we all get flu LOL

Everyone sneezing with dust during the summer and scorched dust smell every autumn when the heating is turned on.

Have as good a day with the paint as the heat will allow

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

It was the same when I was at the IWM - built in 1815 and over-heated all year round.

Bit worried that I've lost my painting abilities at the moment - not a lot going right. Lets see what today brings.......

D

Deleted member 6559

I've finished the coat:

100_5024.JPG100_5025.JPG

I found this very difficult. Usually it's just a matter of working vertically, and wet-on-wet, so that the shading develops naturally, but here, the horizontal creases meant that I had to paint in sections across the folds.

D

Deleted member 4539

Looks good Peter :smiling3:.
I can see why you found it difficult.A bit like trying to paint two ways at the same time.
Try my way of creating false highlights and shadows and it will drive you mad.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Definitely much cooler. We have had some very heavy showers. Coat looks great. The cross creases turned out well.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening Peter.
Late in so apologies, sorry the heat has been ruining the paint.
Like Jim we have had rain, a wet late afternoon and a promise of rain all night.
Don't be too hard on yourself, bet it's the medication making you feel this way, the painting is superb.