Two questions in one.

S

sharowjohn

Hi,

I recently purchased some tubes of oil paint, burnt sienna etc from Cowling & Willcox they were having a sail nice and cheap they also threw in a free bottle of liquin original :- speeds drying and improves gloss,like how and what do I do with it mix it with the paint apply it afterwards any suggestions.

My other question concerns the process before painting ie. filling. Does Milliput have a shelf life I'm using some Milliput white which is about 2 years old and I have noticed recently that it is softer than originally and tends to crumbly when cured.

Cheers sharowjohn:poster_oops:

A

andygh

1. Yes, mix it with the paint

2. I've got Milliput that's about 5 years old & it still goes off with no problems but if in doubt chuck it out, get some new stuff if yours isn't working

D

dubster72

As far as oils go, it depends on how you plan to use them. In most cases, a gloss finish is not desirable. I leave my oils on a piece of cardboard to leech out the linseed oils to reduce the glossiness.

But if you want to use the liquin, as Andy said, mix it according to the instructions.

Cheers

Patrick

C

CDW

As patrick says the linseed oil needs to be removed as much as possible for a more matt finish, i use blotting paper myself.

Liquin helps to smooth out the surface of the oil so giving it a further gloss appearance, it touch dries sooner but takes the normal time to fully cure (longer if you use excess amounts of liquin)

From what i understand, milliput will last a good time if stored correctly, if it's crumbly when dried then i would say it's gone off myself.

B

Bunkerbarge

I would say that if any product you have doesn't appear to be in the condition it should be then don't use it! Your time and effort already invested in the model isn't worth wasting on anything that has for some reason or another gone off. Products such as fillers should last for many years but there is no guarrantee and you should have a cautionary look before using them.

As for oil washes a gloss finish us usually not welcome, unless it is an oil spill, but that is all determined by what clear coat is put over the top of it anyway. As for time for the wash to dry I'm happy doing something else while things dry, no matter how long it takes, so I tend to let things take thier natural course. I actually thing the time oils take to dry is one of thier advantages and Ii use it to blend washes on the model.

S

sharowjohn

Hi,

Thanks for the advice chaps Milliput will be replaced, Liquin in back of cupboard until oil spill/slick required thinking of a few dioramas on that line just one small problem remains there are no instructions on the Liquin bottle.

Cheers sharowjohn.

S

sharowjohn

When all else fails read the idiot book/destructions I've just been on Welcome to the world of Milliput they state a shelf life of 2 years.

Cheers sharowjohn :computer: