Two test pieces

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
As many of you know I have struggled with shallow panel lines so I set about this weekend trying to solve my problem using advice from people on here and my own ideas.

This was my first attempt with just a black wash and a wipe with a sponge it sot of worked but not the look I'm after View attachment 83215

View attachment 83216

View attachment 83217

This was just to dirty for my liking so I tried the same thing on this one but wiping the excess off with my finger instead of a paper towel oh and a thinner brush View attachment 83218

View attachment 83219

View attachment 83220

Both of these are 1/72 scale and neat her will go to waste as they will both see life in crash dios but I think I've solved my problem if it works in 1/72 scale I won't have a problem in 1/48 scale :smiling3:
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

D

Deleted member 3568

Yep second one is much cleaner must remember that for my next plane. Never even tried a wash on a plane yet but then I have only built 2

D

dubster72

Alan, are you putting down a gloss coat before doing the wash? I only ask as the models look quite flat to my eyes & pinwashing on a matt surface is many times harder than on a gloss one.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Agree, a gloss coat will make life easier regarding a pinwash.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I've not used a gloss finish on the 109 the spit is a semi gloss gunship grey as it was the only paint I had in that colour and the green is a matt.

But thanks for the tip Patrick and Si

The wash I'd Vallejo quick drying acrylic black I've been using it on everything for the past month it's surprising how far it goes for a small bottle :smiling3:

L

Laurie

Good point Ian I was going to make the same one.

I have used Flory type wash but on the last two have used Vallejo washes which I have found much much easier to handle. Found Flory washes tended to wander with the water tension has ie capillary action. The Vallejo are much thinner and overcome to a great degree the "wandering" tendency.

Left them to just dry then I have used kitchen roll with "lick" or water. If they have gone a little to far I use in the water a bit of Vallejo thinner.

Laurie

D

dubster72

My tip Alan is whack on a gloss coat then a pinwash using oils diluted with lighter fluid. No kidding, the fluid breaks down the pigments better, plus it flashes off very quickly. A gentle rub along the panel lines with a cotton bud & you're sorted.

A good place for a cheap oil paint set is Rymans - they do a 12 colour set for £3.99.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks for the tip Patrick I'll try that , looks like it's a trip to the bargain bit in austins for some practice kits :D

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That's ok peter what's wrong with your spit :smiling3:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
To big and do you think a gloss coat from a humbrol spray can would work to start.

Peter t

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
It depends on what you want it to look like , I like my builds to show detail which is why I've learned how to do shallow panel lines , if this is what you want I would imagine the panel lines would be deep enough on a 1/24 scale aircraft

I had to pin wash my panel lines with a very thin brush because of the size , pin wash is when you use a little was just into the crack and if you get some spill over and you will you wipe it off with either a finger as I did or as Patrick told me to use a cotton bud then if need be dry brush just a little over the crack

If you have deep enough panel lines it's just a case putting the wash in the crack and dry brushing but still you have to be carful that your overspill is not too dark.

I hope this help side try it on some cheep little kit first so you don't ruin a good one :smiling3: